New member needs some help

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by jon89, Jan 13, 2013.

1. jon89

jon89 New Member

Hello my name is Jon and I'm
    From Tennessee. I have been reading this forum for a couple weeks and signed up a few days ago. I am looking to purchase a new pistol. I have a few rifles and shotguns so firearms are not
    New to me but pistols are. I will be taking my carry permit in about a month. I am looking at xdm .40 but not sure on the size. I want to conceal carry but would like a gun that will be fun at the range. Thanks in advance for the help

2. orangello

orangello New Member

A lot of people like the .40, but a lot of people complain its recoil is too snappy. I have an XD45 with the geezer barrel (tactical/5") that has never had a failure on me. I don't concealed carry it.

Try to find a range or a buddy that will let you rent/try out a few different pistols before you spend $500+ on something you may not love.

http://wheretoshoot.org/Find_Range/index.asp

IMO, most concealed carry pistols are about being compact, not about being fun at the range. I LOVE my cz75b for plinking, but i would hate to try to CC it. It is a bit heavy which makes it a deadnuts accurate plinker but less than ideal for carry. A small pistol is going to be easier to conceal but harder to control the recoil on.

I have a 9mm Bersa Thunder compact that I think is a good compromise between compact and controllable, but it might be a handful in a kickier caliber.

3. KimberFan

KimberFan New Member

"Geezer Barrel"....ok, I really got a chuckle out of that....I have quite a few of them and I think it fits.

:D

4. jon89

jon89 New Member

Thanks for the reply. I also have shot my brother in laws m&p .40 4.25 inch barrel I believe. If anyone has any options on some other pistols
    I'd be happy to hear them as I'm fairly new to the pistol market

5. 4sig

4sig New Member

Don't know what your budget is but you may want to try a Sig 239. It's not a composite so a bit heavy but concealable, slide release, due cocker ( both low profile to prevent snags). I was new to hand guns a year ago so I like having an exposed hammer for visual safety and the security of a due cocker. This was a follow-up purchase to my Sig 226. Both with night sights an very accurate. No FTE or FTF with over 5,000 rounds. East to field strip and clean no tools required. Good luck.

6. jon89

jon89 New Member

I would like to stay under $700 even $600 if possible. A guy I work with has a sig and he really likes it but I have never handled one. My sister is getting a Glock 23 this week. I will shoot that and see how a Glock feels in my hands. I know a lot of people either love or hate them.

7. Pistol_Pete

Pistol_Pete New Member

I've got an xd 40 and its not snappy what so ever.

8. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

I owned a XDM 40 for probably 8 years. I just recently sold it. It is too large for CC in my opinion. It is a great gun, but it spent too much time in my safe.

I've shot 45's, 40's, 9mm, 380, 357. I would consider the 40 pretty snappy. It is not in same league as a 357, but it is snappier than the 9 or 45. I would not however deem that as a reason not to carry it. That depends on your comfort level.

9. XsV

XsV New Member

If you liked the M&P take a look at the compact. Same caliber sizes but smaller overall size makes it easier to carry everyday. I haven't shot a full size M&P but my Dad's compacts were very easy to shoot, very little recoil in both 9 and 40.

10. 4sig

4sig New Member

Take a look at the Sig 2022. Sound $500 and great reviews. Polymer so lighter too

11. Colby

Colby New Member

9mm is very popular. Lots of guns available. And it's known to be a "softer" shoot at the range. I have one and it is for me.
    It is also the US military issue ammo ... used with the Beretta M9 (M92 civilian model) ... Has been the military's weapon since the 1980's. Gage from that it's effectiveness.
    The 9mm cartridge is also one of the cheapest to buy.
    There are some advantages to the 9mm.

12. gaspump86

gaspump86 New Member

I really like that gun

13. juststartin5272

juststartin5272 New Member

Kahr cw or pm 40 could be an option, or Glock 23 or 27. And also Ruger sr40c. They're all gonna be good for conceal carry. Not too fond of the xds because of their grip safety but to each his own.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  14. juststartin5272

juststartin5272 New Member

And they will also be good shooters to go have fun with

15. john2005

john2005 New Member

Hi jon I also am new to the pistol world. My first pistol was a m&p .40 it is crazy accurate and for a first timer it is easy to take apart and clean. I also have a cz sp01 phantom. It's cz polymer .9mm. That thang just melt in my hand man. If you can find a cz I sure wouldn't hesitate to buy one.

16. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I've got a G27 and it is a good size, albeit a bit thick. Shoots fine, but I put the pinkie rest on the mag for a little more control. I do have big hands though. I also have an S&W L-frame 7-shot scandium (Mountain Light) revolver that is lighter and probably just as concealable. I tend to carry that more often than the Glock.

17. FrontierTCB

FrontierTCB Active Member

I agree. Have had my G27 for 12 years and still carry it every day. Just shot it Saturday. Have never had any malfunctions. I to use a small mag extension for better grip (pierce I think). Great carry gun IMO.