Firearms Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, well, to start off I am 17 which is probably a bit uncommon on this forum but i didn't see anywhere in the rules where it said that wasn't allowed so if that's going to be a problem please let me know and i'll come back in a month and a bit when i'm 18.

I've been shooting regularly (mostly hunting with some target) since i was about 9 years old. I currently have a 20ga. O/U, a a .410 snake charmer, a Savage .270, and a ruger 10/22.- well technically they are all in my parents name but that will change soon.

I recently decided that once i turn 18 (Jan. 4) i am going to purchase some sort of assault rifle to add to my collection. I decided to join here because after looking around for a while it seemed like a good place to learn about them so i can make a good purchase. I think i will probably put the rifle together myself although if i find a good deal i may just purchase a complete.

I'm willing to take advice and learn, i know there is a vast amount of knowledge to be had here and hope to gain some of it.

·
Banned
23,968 Posts
Welcome to the Forum - We don't discriminate due to age here, in fact, we encourage the youth of America to exercise their Second Amendment Rights as often as possible - for the good of all.

Now - GET AN AV! :D

JD

·
Registered
5,808 Posts
Welcome to the forum,ET, There are plenty of folks here that can assist you with your questions. Oh,by the way we don't call them assault rifles,only the uneducated and media do that. I have never assaulted anyone with a rifle,nor do I know anyone (except for a Tx Ranger with a 30-30 on S Padre Island) that has ever assaulted someone with a rifle. Where bouts in Tx. do you live? There are several members here from Tx. THB

·
Premium Member
11,374 Posts
Welcome from a fellow Texan. I would like to suggest that you refrain from using the term "Assault Rifle" when refering to a semi-automatic, civilian legal (for now) military style rifle. Assault rifles are selective fire (machineguns). The media has been doing a pretty sucessful job of brain washing the public into believing an AR-15 is an "Assault Rifle". You would be a fool with a very short life expectancy to "assault" an enemy position with a semi automatic rifle. I know, our GI's did this many times in WWII but that was against an enemy armed primarily with bolt action rifles.

Don't let the creeping bias creep any further. Hold the line. With many Americans believing the terms "Assault Rifle", "Assault Shotgun", "Assault Pistol", "Assault Slingshot" etc. we must work hard to reverse the public opinion and try to reverse the trend.

·
Premium Member
19,844 Posts
Welcome here.

Assault rifle is a term that GFW's (Gun Fearing Wusses) use to demonize anything larger than a water pistol. Don't buy into the hype.

There's some great folks and lots of knowledge here. Enjoy yourself and don't be afraid to ask questions. There's also a Search feature that will be helpful.

CA357

·
Registered
727 Posts
Welcome and glad to have you here. I am glad to see young americans with a passion for guns. Hope you enjoy the site and its tons of info. This is a great place.:D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone for the warm welcomes.
While looking through the forum last night i did learn that that term was frowned down upon, so please forgive me and i will try ti rid myself of the habit :)

Also, I live in Fort Worth. I go out to Apline shooting range sometimes or to our family ranch to do my shooting. It's great to have your own place to be able to release and shoot in peace

1 - 11 of 11 Posts