Firearms Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stumbled across this forum and decided to join as there's a lot that I might learn about my "new" hobby, shooting. Yeah, I know I'm pretty old to start a new hobby, but it is what it is.

When I was in high school I belonged to an Explorer Post whose specialty was competition shooting. We used the .22 long rifle at indoor ranges and my first real shooting experience was with that group.

A while later I entered the military (Air Force) and was qualified to shoot the S&W Model 15 in .38 caliber. In the years I was in the Air Force, both on active duty and in the Air National Guard, I never carried a weapon. I qualified with the M-16 the last year I was in the ANG.

When I was stationed in Florida after duty in Southeast Asia, my duty was in a locked-down, secure site twelve hours each shift. We had a cretin running loose in the area breaking into houses and raping and killing young women and children during the daytime. It was two hours between an emergency call and the arrival of law enforcement in that town, and the sheriff advised us to be able to protect ourselves. I bought a S&W Model 10, took my young wife out to the palmettos for a shooting lesson. She put five of six into a 1/2 gallon milk carton at 25 feet off-hand, and I figured that if anyone got near our kids and she had the gun, the results were predictably in her favor.

So decades later I now live in rural Maine. Here it has been legal to open carry for years and recently became legal to carry concealed without a permit. I paid no attention to any of this except I began to read stories about home invasions particularly homes owned by elderly people. One day I came to the realization that "elderly" might be something someone might think of if they though about my wife and myself. That was the day I went to the nice, indoor range 50 miles away and began to shoot again.

It's pretty funny, but I actually enjoy shooting much as I did years ago when I was a kid. I've sold the Model 10 I bought those years ago (ELEVEN rounds put through it from new!), and sold the Model 67 that I bought in near-new condition from a client who owned a small gun shop back in 1990 (a pretty gun just had to have, but never fired until now). Now I own a Stoeger (Beretta) Cougar and a Steyr, both in 40 caliber. And just to be on the safe side, I have taken the course and even though I don't HAVE to, I have a permit to carry concealed here in this state. I shoot about once a month and put as much as 200 rounds down range. I'm pleased that I'm actually getting better with each trip!

Next year we plan to build a new home out in the boonies and I will be building my own range for outdoor shooting. Since I began this I came to the realization that I know nothing about shotguns and am developing quite an itch to have one. I'm not going to be a hunter having no interest in shooting anything. Besides, I don't think I could go and hunt deer unless they issued automatic weapons to them. So my shooting is for the fun of it and by extension, for defense of myself and my wife should the worst happen.

Thanks for allowing me to introduce myself.

·
Premium Member
4,028 Posts
Welcome from Iowa! You'll find lots of great people and good information in this cyber community.

·
Premium Member
3,161 Posts
Roger, Welcome to FTF. Join in the discussions.
I didn't have much of an early fire arm experience except shooting my dad's .22 Special.
I lived in an area and among family that tended to not encourage firearm ownership etc. when I moved to Alaska in '94 I started shooting and obtaining guns ( all long guns until 2015). I'm approaching 70 this spring.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Welcome from S.W. Oregon, you've come to a great place. I have a Stoeger Cougar .40 for CCW, it's the most accurate out of the box pistol I've ever owned, anyway, good to see you here, lots of good info.

·
Premium Member
3,903 Posts
Roger, welcome to the forum from Central Virginia! Good folks here, and a very nice intro. Thank you for your service, too.

Like you, I like to shoot but don't hunt. Plinking, mostly, on my 25 acre farm.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Roger, welcome to the forum from Central Virginia! Good folks here, and a very nice intro. Thank you for your service, too.

Like you, I like to shoot but don't hunt. Plinking, mostly, on my 25 acre farm.
My daughter lives in Chesapeake and my eldest granddaughter is at Bridgewater College. My daughter just bought her first pistol...a S&W Shield in 9 mm. I discovered two years or so in conversation with her via Skype that she was interested in doing some shooting. I was really surprised although I shouldn't have been: she's the intrepid one of my two children.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts