Firearms Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all !
my brother's and a I will be taking our hunter ed certification classes this coming weekend and finally applying for a gun permit. I've shot a .22 and .30-.30 and love them, but my brothers are interested in handguns. Any suggestions for a first purchase?
Thank you for your time!!

·
Registered
11,483 Posts
Welcome to FTF. Great to have you. Are you brothers looking for carry guns or target guns? What caliber? How much do they have to spend?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We are lookin for Target guns at the moment, and sharing is not an option with them. Budget will be @ 300 each.

·
Administrator
26,177 Posts
Aloha, bra! Where you in da islands?

For a target pistol, would suggest you look at a Ruger .22 auto. Shop around, they last forever- have one from 1970 I am still shooting.

For a rifle, a .22 is a good starter gun. Ammo is cheap, and habits and techniques you learn with the .22s translates over to larger rifles.

If you are going to be hunting, for pig you want something bigger. Yes, you will find folks hunting pig with .22. Did not say you would find SMART people hunting pig with .22.

If you make it over to Molokai, in Kaunakakai, gunsmith named Mel Chung is good guy, will steer you right. Tell Mel Aloha from Curtis.

Gents, the poster is in Hawaii. Carry is rather scarce there. Target and hunting not so scarce.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@ mountain we will take both new & used into consideration :).
@c3 hey nice to see a fellow Hawaiian here. We are from nanakuli on oahu.
Thanks all !!

·
Registered
957 Posts
Welcome, Basically any Ruger or Smith, Marlin .22's are good learning tools.

·
Administrator
26,177 Posts
Actually, a mainlander- (Auwe!) but spent enough time in Hawai'i that a lot of folks considered me Kamaaina- liking Spam musubi and slack key helps- and not acting like a seagull! Was averaging about 2 months a year in Hawai'i for past 18 yrs. Construction things like the H3, bridge over Pearl, First Hawai'ian Bank Bldg. Even got to go to Ni'ihau on one trip.

I know your neighborhood some- spent a lot of time with Grace-Pacific at their quarry in Kapolei. Area has really grown in the last 15 yrs.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Actually, a mainlander- (Auwe!) but spent enough time in Hawai'i that a lot of folks considered me Kamaaina- liking Spam musubi and slack key helps- and not acting like a seagull! Was averaging about 2 months a year in Hawai'i for past 18 yrs. Construction things like the H3, bridge over Pearl, First Hawai'ian Bank Bldg. Even got to go to Ni'ihau on one trip.

I know your neighborhood some- spent a lot of time with Grace-Pacific at their quarry in Kapolei. Area has really grown in the last 15 yrs.
I heard you had your fortune read on Hotel street.LMAO:rolleyes:

·
Administrator
26,177 Posts
Always follow the wise guidance- stay off Hotel Street, stay out of any club you where you need to speak Korean, do not wander off to Makaha unless you are with local friends- and always- "No be foolie- wrap up da ule!" :p

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
@ barney ..."haole's" prob not a good idea either...they kinda weird me out jk. But believe it or not the do actually have palm readings on hotel street although you might not like the fees.

·
Registered
21,822 Posts
to the FTF community. We are glad to have you as a new member!

All you need here is a thick skin and the ability to laugh at anything, including yourself!

Please read the following, it will save all of us a lot of time and trouble:

Please DO NOT post (including in your signature) advertisements, links to sell or advertise if you are not a vendor.

New folks- Please read this!!! << Click Here

FTF Newcomer's Guide << Click Here

How To Post Pics on FTF << Click Here

FTF's List Of Acronyms << Click Here

Join the Gun Owners of America, a worthy 2nd Amendment protector.

Gun Owners of America << Click Here

1 - 19 of 19 Posts