"New" Marlin 60

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by frjeff, May 4, 2011.

1. frjeff

frjeff New Member

Have owned and shot handguns for years but just picked up a used Marlin 60 at my local gun shop. Super condition; wood perfect, blueing spotless, no scratches.
    Has a cheap Bushnell 4X, 15mm scope. I anxious to fire it, must wait til Saturday. Any tips??

Serial Number begins with "15", so I am believing a 1985 build??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. orangello

orangello New Member

Mine had a distinct preference for CCI stinger ammo. I would start by buying a few different brands of ammo to see which works best.

3. canebrake

canebrake New Member

You'll love it!

Got mine for $39 new in 1966. (I think)

You have several years of fun ahead of you.

[​IMG]

4. Bushman

Bushman Member

Mine eats every kind of ammo I have thrown at it.
    Nice rifle BTW.... Congrats!

5. ki4dmh

ki4dmh New Member

That is a good looking rifle. I have never had any luck with the model 60's but I have seen lots of them at the range I goto. They seem to be good rifles for the most part. Wish I could get a hold of one that wasn't wore out...

6. steve666

steve666 New Member

My favorite .22 rifle. I've had mine since 1973.

7. wb_carpenter

wb_carpenter New Member

After you shoot it you will wonder what took you so long and then start to leave the other semi auto .22 rifles at home. I got mine for $60 used a few years ago and it made my modified 10/22 look silly.

My 2 favorite things are the Accuracy and easy loading(coming from a 10/22).

My 2 least favorite things having my hand close to the muzzle for loading and it can be a chore on a firing range when told to clear..(unscrew mag/dump bullets everywhere then check chamber/open bolt).

8. Bigdog57

Bigdog57 New Member

Looks like the 'newer' model, as it has the bolt release. That'll be good info IF you need replacement parts - some parts have older and newer versions, and are not interchangeble!
    The thing that causes most Model 60 problems is simply lack of proper cleaning. Keep her cleaned and lightly lubed, she'll serve you many years!

9. TAT2TOMMY

TAT2TOMMY New Member

im looking for me a nice 22 aswell preferibly used

10. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

J&P Springs has a great replacement kit for the model 60 :)

Boyd's Stocks does periodic runs of thumbhole & other specialty stocks...

There are two bullpup stocks made...one by Bullpupstocks.com & the other by Elftmann Gun Products.
    The Elftmann looks a lot like the old High Standard Model 10A shotgun...nice tho :)

ATI makes a Dragunov-style stock...about $40

Ramline used to make a Folding & Lockarm stock for the 60 & 70/795, but you can only find 'em on auctions nowadays.