New Mag extension for Mossberg 590A1 18.5"

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by sbninja, Mar 13, 2011.

1. sbninja

sbninja New Member

I received my new Mag extension for my Mossberg 590A1 18.5" ;)

This is a new offering from CHOATE Machine and Tool. It is NOT (as of this posting) yet listed on their website. Choate calls it a "+1 mag extension"
    It comes with extension tube, new longer spring, new Choate follower, and a barrel/mag clamp on sling mount. If you use the Choate supplied follower, it is indeed a "+1", But if you use the Mossberg factory follower - It is a "+2" tight.

I did, however, buy a Brownells Aluminum Follower(anodized orange), and a Wolff tubular magazine spring (40" long) and cut it to length -29" and bent in both ends.

It still is a plus +2 but with a bit more room, beacause Wolff spring dia. is smaller than the Choate supplied spring :)

So my Mossberg 590A1 18.5" now has a capacity of 7+1 :p
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. VitSports6

VitSports6 New Member

Very nice!
    I have been thinking about one for my 18.5" barrel.
    I see you opted for the wood, heat shield as well as different sights.
    Looking good :cool:

3. sbninja

sbninja New Member

Thanks,

The wood stock, was the stock that came with the 590A1, it was painted black from the factory. I stripped it, and stained it. Also the fore end that came with the shotgun was the synthetic type. I orderd a new unfinished wood fore end and stained it the same as the stock. Heatshield is a mossberg that I modified to fit.

Lastly, the sights are the factory ghost ring sights that came with it;)

4. russ

russ New Member

Looks good sb. How about an overall picture of that thing?

5. sbninja

sbninja New Member

Some more pics.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 13, 2011
  6. russ

russ New Member

Awesome! The wood finish kind of makes it look like a WWII trench gun. Very cool.

7. VitSports6

VitSports6 New Member

I guess I never paid much attention to the front sihgt of the ghost ring, I have a 3 dot on mine.
    I like the look of the wood, I hope to get a heat shield soon.

8. sbninja

sbninja New Member

If you have a 590A1 18.5" , then get the heatshield from AimproTactical! They make one that fits this model without modification. I found out a couple days too late.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2011
  9. VitSports6

VitSports6 New Member

Yes, That is who I was suggested to buy it from.
    Thanks

10. sethhobrin

sethhobrin New Member

SBNINJA or others. Love your 590A1.

I just picked up this model not too long ago:
    http://www.mossberg.com/images/Mossberg_Guns/930/NEW/53690.jpg

I am trying to figure out how to install the Aimpro tactical heatshield which I just received however it doesn't appear that it will work with the 3 dot sight that comes standard on this model. Was that the case for you or am I missing something? Do I basically need to remove the front sight and rear sight to install the heat shield then i have to get all new sights installed?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2011