new love affair

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by CaseyChadwell, Nov 26, 2013.

1. CaseyChadwell

CaseyChadwell New Member

This year I took a monster buck with my 223 howa. Biggest deer ive ever harvested and probably will harvest for some time. I also took a doe with my Rossi 357 lever action rifle. Now, to most people, the buck would have been the highlight of the season, but not for me. The doe with the lever gun is what I think about when I think about the season. I have a new love affair with leverguns and have been reading up on them all week. I need another one and I think I want it to be used for hogs. I want to keep the scout scope concept, really like it a lot. I want a shorter gun, 16inches I think. I want it to be pretty much a hog gun, as we are getting overran with them in my home county. I think my best choice for shots out to 150 yards would be a 30/30. As I've been a bolt gun guy for many years, is there a better 30/30 out there? I was thinking about chopping a marlin down, recrowning and drill and tapping for a scout scope. What about the winchester ranger? Any ideas for a decent cheap 30/30 levergun out there the cheap to be a candidate for a chop job?

2. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Check for a Marlin youth model. A little shorter.

3. smarquez

smarquez New Member

Check out Hornadys Leverevolution ammo. Spire point with a soft tip to prevent accidental discharge in the tube. It's so popular right now it's all back order. It's supposed to be good for another 250-300 fps.

4. CaseyChadwell

CaseyChadwell New Member

Yeah, definitely going to check that out. Also going to find some for my 357 mag. I've seen some here And there but haven't paid too much attention to the prices. I have a guy I buy reloads off of that gets 150 fps slower using the bullets and different powder and reloads 5% lower than max pressure so if all else fails I can always pick a box of those up.

And I was thinking about a marlin, but if I can find one I think I may go for the Winchester ranger and have it cut down to 16.5 or 18 inches. I like the idea of a 16.5 inch gun though. Dont think I could find anything handier in the woods or a small blind than a 16 inch gun. I dont think it will take the place of my 357 as a truck gun, but it would also be handier in my little s-10 to and from the woods.

5. CaseyChadwell

CaseyChadwell New Member

Now i see a 45/70 Rossi for 460 new at knob Creek...!!! The choices are going to kill me!!!:). Wouldn't that be a heck of a hog gun? A 45/70 scout rifle...18 inch barrel, magnaported with a 1.5-5.5 power scope sitting on top? Hmmm...I may be on to something here...

6. Josh1158

Josh1158 New Member

I would get the henry 45/70 before that rossi

7. CaseyChadwell

CaseyChadwell New Member

The Henrys are quite pricey...may I ask why you wouldnt go for the Rossi?

8. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Henrys are quite pricey because they are an excellent rifle. I own a youth model Henry lever in .22. One helluva sweet rifle, indeed.

9. CaseyChadwell

CaseyChadwell New Member

I have a big boy in 357 that I really like. However I am always afraid to take it in the woods because I don't want to scratch it up.

I was thinking more along the lines of something in the marlin or Rossi lineup. Scratch up one of those and I won't cry for two weeks.

10. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

I'm not a fan of the safety on the newer Rossi Rifles, just not natural. Carrying at 1/2 cock has always worked. I have an EMF Hartford in .44-40. It is a Rossi, but has been smoothed out by EMF. Wood is incredible. Mine has a 24" octagonal barrel. It is accurate and fast enough to hit a baseball 4 out of 4 from 50 yards out to 100+ w/ iron sights as it was sent down range bouncing.
    [​IMG]

My Buddy has a Rossi .45LC carbine. Not as accurate, but a handy hunter.

11. Josh1158

Josh1158 New Member

I wouldnt go for the rossi because there part of taurus and I will never buy one of there papper weights again. The henry isnt brass its blued likre there other guns and it looks sweet. I think there kinda hard to come by though.

12. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Mine is pretty sweet!! It started as a Rossi.
    [​IMG]

13. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

You mentioned finding tube safe ammo for your 357 carbine. 158 gr JSP ammo is flat nosed ammo. Jacketed soft points are hard to beat for hunting, they penetrate like a FMJ with adequate expansion. I have JSP bullets that I dug out of my dirt pile. I will post a photo as soon as I get a chance.

14. CaseyChadwell

CaseyChadwell New Member

John_Deer,

I bought a box of the Federal Fusion 357 Magnums to deer hunt with this year, but never had the opportunity to site my rifle in for them. I ended up going with the federal 158 grain Semi jacketed flat nosed soft point and that is what I shot my doe with. The bullet entered far back in the rib cage (I thought I gut shot her when I first walked up on her) and it traveled thru the chest cavity and hit the offside shoulder and didnt exit. The entrance hole was massive, and I was extremely happy with the amount of penetration that I got with the cheaper bulk ammo I used. From the looks of the entrance hole I would say that the bullet fragmented quite a bit on impact, which I dont mind while hunting deer, but I wouldnt want on hogs. I am going to attempt to see how the fusions do and try to see how the bullet performs in some phone books. I am also planning on doing some coyote hunting this year using this rifle and am going to try to use 125 grain jhp. Hoping they will do a number on yotes out to 100 yards in the woods here in Kentucky.