New loader success!!

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by sdiver35, Aug 4, 2012.

1. sdiver35

sdiver35 New Member

Just started loading, and took my first five rounds to the range today and all went perfect!

Triple-double checked everything and then zeroed the scale again and measured another 8 samples prior to putting a round in a primed, charged cartridge.

Never can be to sure, but it felt great afterwards :)

2. tri70

tri70 New Member

Good to hear! It is addictive but gives me something to do when I can't hunt!

3. Badshot320

Badshot320 New Member

Buy a book, Hornady,Hodgedon, etc.... Stick to whats in the book and dont trust anything on the web. Buy a decent micrometer and have fun. And yes when in doubt pour it out and weight it again!

Badshot

4. beaglesam

beaglesam Active Member

What caliber are you loading? If it's a pistol, load up about 200 rounds go to the range and really test it.

5. KeysKelly

KeysKelly New Member

Welcome to the world of reloading. I love it. There is no better feeling than the first small group shot with your own loads. Reloading saves a lot of money and is also fun.

One of my favorite parts is when one of my daughters have a boyfriend over. I make sure they somehow come into my office and "Accidentally" see my reloading bench behind my desk.

6. sdiver35

sdiver35 New Member

The press came with the Speer reloading book and that's all I'm using for reference! I'll use the web for functional ideas and just to hear of others experiences.

Thanks!

7. sdiver35

sdiver35 New Member

Starting with .45 ACP then moving to .40 S&W. Now that I confirmed the first few were good I have 100 primed and another 100 or so in the tumbler getting prepped.

8. sdiver35

sdiver35 New Member

Ha! That would be fun to see the reaction! It is fun, takes shooting to a new level of understanding.

9. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

I love reloading my 40 it's probably may favorite to work on

10. sdiver35

sdiver35 New Member

I've heard they are a bit more sensitive rounds to reload.

11. GaMatt72

GaMatt72 New Member

Really? Well that is one of the calibers that I am going to do. I don't know what to start with. 223/556, 40, 380 or 308?

12. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

It's not any different than other calibers just stay within the data for powder n pressures. I started on 40 and 308. Then adds 223. Gettin ready to start 9mm and possibly 357

13. zebramochaman

zebramochaman New Member

I started reloading in January. My first set of dies was 38 Special/357 Magnum. I learned a lot and tried several recipes before I was satisfied. I now have sucessfully reloaded .45 ACP, 9mm Makarov, 357 Sig and .44 Magnum. I intend to get .40 S&W, 9mm Lugar and .45 Colt dies before I start to reload for my rifles. I do not know if the loads that I have produced so far are the optimum since I do not own a chronograph. That said, I am reloading with the goal of creating rounds that I can plink at the range with with accuracy and comfort. If I were reloading for SD or for hunting I would need to invest more time in the selection of bullets, powders and primers.
    As I continue to experiment (following load data) I become more competant. MY shelf of shame where I keep my scrwed-up rounds is quite substantial.

14. sdiver35

sdiver35 New Member

Ha! Yeah mine is growing too, somehow a primer flipped on its way into a cartridge and I have it seated in reverse. The case was never charged, but I don't want to risk removing it with my press. Do you have problems with the seating depth changing on your setup as you are pressing 50-100 rounds?

15. zebramochaman

zebramochaman New Member

Yes, I have experienced that. Take my advice for what its worth. After all I am still a newbie. I am fine tuning the powder-through die so that it only creates a minimal bell in the case and then secure the bottom nut firmly. I am using factory crimp dies on all of my loads so I check each cartridge for bullet seating before I crimp. Although I have a 4 station turret press I am using it as a single stage press until I feel that I am ready to go to the turret operation.
    On shells that are primed but have an excessive bell I have successfully punched out the live primer to resize the case. I bring the ram up very slowly and so far I have not had any problems. In fact, I have reused the live primers I have salvaged from those cases. When I perform this operation I make sure that my loading bench is void of any powders or primers. I wear eye protection and I turn my back to the press as I raise the ram. I don't really know how much of a risk I am taking by doing this so I am not advocating that you try it.
    Another cause of reload fail is when raising the ram during bullet seating. If the cartridge is not aligned properly in the shell holder the case can catch on the die and deform as you raise the ram.
    I hope this helps. Again, I am no expert. There are many members of this forum that are. If I am dispensing bad advice in my posts please correct me.