new laptop!

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by gloks4life, Aug 26, 2009.

1. gloks4life

gloks4life New Member

Hello all! am getting a laptop for school and was wondering what speed or memory i need! dont really have a clue about computers,thanks

2. Shotgun Shooter

Shotgun Shooter New Member

Really depends on what your major is. Are you going to school for something where you'll need the computer for projects. For example, computer design/graphics. But, since you said you dont know anything about computers, I'm sure you'll only NEED the basics. Word Processor, a browser and maybe powerpoint.

Whats your budget on a new laptop?

S.S.

3. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Hey gloks4life, welcome to the forum. Now where's your manners? 8 posts and you have not checked in at the Introductions thread yet. Being a fellow Okie, I would like to hear a little about yourself and the kind of firearms you have and your interests. Thanks. :)

Jack

4. gloks4life

gloks4life New Member

I will be a nursing student,so god only knows what i will be using it for ? thanks for replys... under $500 would be nice if possible?

5. Caliche

Caliche New Member

Just get a netbook. You shouldn't be running any high powered programs for that. More than likely just need something to type notes and assignments on. They only problem I could see would be if your particular school uses class material on CD/DVD instead of online files. Even at that, external dvd readers shouldn't be very expensive. Haven't priced them lately.

You can get a good netbook, upgrade the Ram to 2gigs, download Open Office (Like Microsoft Office, but Better) for free, buy an external drive if needed (which you probably wont need) and come in way under your budget. Look at ASUS and Toshiba. Maybe MSI.

Strange forum to ask for computer advice....

6. Shotgun Shooter

7. Caliche

Caliche New Member

I used to be a big fan of Lenovo, but not so much when it comes to their new stuff. I am glad you got a good one!

If you want a fullsize laptop add Fujitsu in the mix.

8. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Don't be afraid of the refurb notebooks available from Tigerdirect and other online vendors. My latest is a Toshiba with duo-core processor, 4 GB of RAM, 250 GB drive, DVD writer and it was under $500.

I concur with Open Office - really good stuff and it's free...

9. Caliche

Caliche New Member

Excellent point and good advice. Refurb just means they already fixed what was going to break if you bought it new ;). (most of the time)

10. Shotgun Shooter

Luckily for me, my mom works for IBM and got my laptop at a discount.
    Refurb is a good idea. My uncle fixes up computers and has a sidejob for cleaning/repairing computers. Then reselling them. Its a good way to save money, especially if you're going to college.

S.S.

11. BigByrd47119

BigByrd47119 New Member

That means your mother will be starting a 'forum discount' then right? ;)

12. Shotgun Shooter

Only if you treat her only son right. ;)

S.S.

13. BigByrd47119

BigByrd47119 New Member

LoL, sure man, when you wanna go to the range? Newyork is a bit of a drive...

14. gloks4life

gloks4life New Member

what can't a notebook do that a laptop can? play games on or?

15. Caliche

Caliche New Member

Netbook - Small ultra portable laptop. 10" Screen, no optical drives, low power long life processor, usually 160 GB hard drive and 1GB ram. Useful for people who travel alot or take notes in classes. Very good for portable internet browsing and word processing. Not a high power machine, but can play most older games easily. Don't expect to play Crysis.

Notebook - Any laptop other than netbooks or tablets. Come in too many flavors to list. All new notebooks are more powerful than netbooks, but not as portable.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2009
  16. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

I pickup a Acer Netbook only 1 gig memory and 160 gig HD. It good; however, the small screen is the only drawback. I pickup an external HP drive.

It is lite and easy to carry.

17. WDB

WDB New Member

I recently purchased a Dell Inspiron for my daughter, If I remember correctly it had 3 gigs of ram and 300 gig hard drive. It was light weight with a 15" screen, her favorite part it is hot pink, my favorite part it was $498 before tax. I've had good luck over the years with Dell products, fair prices and seem to do the job well. I now have a Dell Studio with 4 gigs of ram, 500 gig hard drive and a 17" screen, it's a great laptop but not in the $500 price range.

18. Lupo

Lupo New Member

Gloks, I work with computers a lot. I spent my summer fixing them and that fun stuff. I can help you out. PM me and ill help you pick out a winner.