Firearms Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Grettings to all,
I just traded my XD .45 "4 Compact for a Kimber Ultra Crimmson Carry .45. This is my first 1911 since retiring from the USAF over 13 years ago. I picked it up new for $830+tax. I wanted something more concealable, and did not want to always wear a vest or over shirt. I was used to carring cocked and locked as a PJ and SP, so that is how I intend to carry this weapon. I have been searching this forum and other web sites looking for apporpriate holsters to meet my needs. I would appriciate any and all feed back from you folks here.

Thanks....

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry for for being so vague. OWB, material neg., I did have a Blackhawk CQB SERPA for my XD. Seems they are not available for Kimber. I do like some form of "security", if you will, some way to keep the weapon in the holster until I want it out.

We were providing security detail to a Central American airport in 1988 while
C130's were unloading "humanitarian supplies", when some kid unloading boxes decided to grab the side-arm of my buddy next to me. I was glad I opted to carry the old M-14, or I would have had to explain a broken plastic stock on a M-16.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I have seen a black molded plastic, paddle style holster (the name evades me right now), that uses a "tension screw" for retention. I like the Blackhawk system of positive saftey, positive release, though. If BH made a unit to fit the Kimber, case closed.:D I was amazed at the prices of some of the leather products of the market (on-line) from Galco and others. They look sweet, but......$$$

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
With regards to retention systems, the Level II is my preference by far. As far as carrying a 1911 cocked and locked, I would like a holster with a strap between the hammer and striker/firing pin. That may sound "mammy pamby", but, I know too many anti-gun lawyers who would love to string-up some one for an accidental discharge. Especially since the manufactures documentation states not to carry with hammer "cocked" and round "chambered". BTW, thanks for the pics.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Thanks Matt and JD, I have narrowed my options to a DeSantis, with a FBI cant, OWB. The only real decision left is thumb snap or open top. Material is immaterial to me:cool:; do you guys see any pros/cons leather vs. composite? Next ? is paddle or belt mounted? As always, all opinions are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Here is a DeSantis model I kinda like. Model 85 (L)

"Premium saddle leather, double seams and a highly detailed
molded fit, make this exposed muzzle, tight fitting, two-slot
holster a great choice for your favorite pistol. It features an
adjustable-tension device. Black or Tan unlined leather. 1 3/4"
belt slots. Note: Some models without tension device.
1911 models must be worn cocked & locked."

Description taken from DeSantis catalog, 2008, Volume XXXl, p.5

Do you guys have any thoughts on paddle vs belt attach? Or open muzzle vs enclosed? Linned vs unlinned?

I also like the the model 1 R) with the enclosed muzzle. Concealment is my main objective here, but I obviously need to get the weapon out and on-target before I am the target.:eek:

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Thanks for the input. You reinforced my tendencies. What are the pros/cons of open/closed muzzle holsters? The only thing I can find from the manufacturer's is that it allows foreign debris to pass on through (?). Based on researching the web a and gun show in Lexington, NC on 18 Oct., I will most likely get one of the two holsters I have displayed here. Does anyone happen to own either specifically or have reasonablly depenable 2nd hand knowledge of either?

As always, thanks............

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.