New Kimber Pro TLE II

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by CHLChris, Feb 4, 2011.

1. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

Two weeks ago I finally put the money together to buy my brand new Kimber Pro TLE II. The Pro means 4" bull barrel, the TLE means Meprolight night sights, and the II means a firing pin block safety feature (series 80).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I never fell in love with my Springfield Loaded 5". Too often the next round would get caught on the ramp. Perform ALL the time or I get rid of you.

I went to Johnson Creek Gun Club in Portland, OR as a friend's guest. And that is where I fell in love. Before the first trip I gave it a thorough field strip and cleaning. The lock-up on this one is really tight. The take down requires an odd paper-clip thingy, though. It is a little odd, but straightforward. The bull barrel is clearly hand fitted to the slide by looking at the machining marks.

The grips, which are currently rubber, are quite thick and will probably call for a replacement to slim-lines, but then I have smaller hands. The single-side safety wasn't convenient for my southpaw friend, but it worked perfectly for me. The sights are so much easier to acquire than my SA's sights because the tritium inserts have a white circle around them. The 1" shorter radius than my government model did not seem to affect the accuracy, but the decreased weight (from 40 oz. to 35 oz.) made a HUGE difference in one-handed firing.

The manual describes the break-in period as 1) clean it, 2) fire 200-250 rounds, 3) clean it, 4) fire 200-250 more rounds. I just returned from step 2 to give my thoughts.

The indoor range required targets to be at the full length so the targets were 50 feet away. Not my favorite for a break-in period, but oh well. I'll be shooting with Tackleberry at his range for the second round so I'll probably be able to keep it a little closer. I fired with Winchester white box 230 grain FMJ for the first 100 rounds. 50 rounds in the left target and 50 in the right.

[​IMG]

I was pretty pleased at 17 yards to keep such tight groups without a bench rest. My brass ejected somewhat forward into the galley instead of laterally or somewhat backward as I'm used to with other guns. The guy next to me was happy about that. After this first 100 rounds I had a couple of loading failures that were cleared by just slamming up on the mag lightly. I fell in love with this gun within the first 100 rounds.

Then I opened a couple boxes of Blazer Brass 230 grain FMJ. I was less than impressed with this ammo. I'm glad I started with the other ammo so I knew that this was crappy ammo and not a crappy gun.

[​IMG]

I believe I had 1 more failure during the 2nd set of 100 rounds, same type of loading failure. The slide always locked open, even on the MIM slide stop. That is the first part that will be replaced. Any other suggestions for known Kimber MIM parts that should be replaced, please let me know.

All in all, I am very pleased by this new gun. The all-black finish means it is not flashy, which is great. I had one guy ask, "Is that a .45?" But nobody seemed to be fawning over my flashy gun. It was just one more black gun. It was probably the best black gun in the range, though.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2011
  2. Squirrel_Slayer

Squirrel_Slayer New Member

Nice pistol. My Kimber has never malfunctioned once, break in or other wise. It has shown an affinity for nothing but 230 grain ball ammo though. Groups get way bigger when I try to feed it any light weight ammo. Great acquisition. I am gonna go poke some paper with mine this weekend so I'll take somee pics and give ya'll a range report Monday morning.

3. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

When I was in line at a NW chain called Bi-Mart where I bought the Blazer Brass ammo, I put the 4 boxes on the counter. The woman in front of me (who was probably thinking I was going to go shoot a crowd of people or something) asked, "What are you hunting?" I just smiled and said, "I'm just shooting for fun. I'll be shooting pieces of paper." Then, when the guy behind me put down another pile of ammo to buy, that lady, visibly uncomfortable, turned and walked out.

Kinda funny.

4. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Nice pistol, Chris, and a very well-done range report.

5. Squirrel_Slayer

Squirrel_Slayer New Member

Blazer is usually the cheapest and always shot the best out of mine. Now it only sees handloads. Once shot range brass, 6.2 of Herco behind 230 copper jacketed ball ammo, and CCI primers.

6. TGReaper

TGReaper New Member

Nice looking pistol, You make me feel bad, I just bought a 4 in. 1911 and I can't get to do much but handle it and daydream. Our range is under 6 ft of snow.Thanks for the report
    Dan

7. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Congratulations. Enjoy that new pistola. :cool:

8. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Good looking firearm. Nice choice.

9. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I see a lot of Kimber hate on line. I will agree that they have had some highs and lows to quality, but I believe that if you pay for one of their higher end models, you are getting a quality product for the money.

In this case, you have had added a hell of a nice weapon to the collection.

Congrats on an excellent purchase. Now get back to the range and tighten up those groups. ;)

JD

10. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

What? 8" isn't good for 50 rounds at 50 feet just standing? Perhaps not, but not a single round sailed on me. With good ammo I know that this will be a firearm I will be able to trust with my life. Even with bad ammo...I just wouldn't want to be the one standing behind the bad guy. :eek:

It seemed to me that until you get into their custom shop, all of the products are cut from the same cloth, with just different features. Like the features of the awesome-looking Raptor II that you (JD) have suggested in another thread is basically the same pistol as some others less expensive (same MIM parts, that is) with a few cool features that cost some extra money.

Since I have a couple of Kimber owners on this thread, which MIM parts should I start to weed out of this pistol? I will be switching out the slide stop first, but probably a couple thousand rounds from now. Any other ideas? I'm thinking long-term.

11. proscene

proscene New Member

Tle ?

The designation "TLE" stands for "Tactical Law Enforcement". :cool:

12. trigem

trigem New Member

I have never had a Kimber I didn't like, I will always own at least one or two or:p

Most complaints come from those whom know nothing about 1911's:cool:

Any brand, new 1911 I have ever owned needed break-in and or tweaking

13. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

Brass ejection issues?

Finished my break-in period tonight, shooting 200 more FMJ rounds:

100 Blazer Brass 230gr (This round absolutely SUCKS in its non-accuracy)
    50 Speer Lawman 230gr (This is one of my favorite plinking rounds!)
    50 Speer Lawman 200gr flat-nose (I had one bullet that never seemed to want to load. After 3 tries in different magazines I just tossed the round in the bucket.)

I then fired 60 rounds of Winchester Ranger 230gr HP, first in mags with 2 rounds, then full mags. They loaded perfectly and fired with predictable accuracy.

I noticed one thing that may or may not be a problem: BRASS EJECTION

During the FMJ rounds there seemed to be no rhyme or reason when it ejected strongly forward/right, strongly backward/right, right into my head, or very lightly straight up (like 5"). There were never any malfunctions during my range trip, but the ejection seemed somewhat erratic.

During my self-defense loads I wasn't really paying attention to the brass so I don't know about that, but during the FMJ loads I noticed this "problem."

What are the odds that this is an ammo issue (inconsistent bulk ammo) or a gun issue?

14. Immortal4419

Immortal4419 New Member

Have you taken it apart yet to clean? What do you think of having to use that wire instead of the ol fashion way?

15. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

Oh sure, I've cleaned it twice now. I haven't cleaned it yet after tonight's trip, but I've wiped it down pretty good so it doesn't leave soot all over my pistol safe.

I have no problems with the wire thing for take-down. The only tough part is putting the wire thing back into the recoil assembly after cleaning and prior to reassembly. Pulling down the tension with just my fingers is a little rough. I don't have any beef with their take-down system. I think it is a nice trade-off for being bushing-less.

16. Immortal4419

Immortal4419 New Member

Ok cool, I haven't disassembled one with the wire yet so i was wondering what another person thought. I like the bushing-less look though not that its super noticeable.

17. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

Immortal, is this your first 1911? If not, once you get into the guts you will have absolutely NO problem finding your way around the Kimber. In fact it is the guts of my Kimber that convinced me of its quality!

18. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

BUMP

I have an important question a few posts up about my ejection issues. I'm having unpredictable ejections. :D

HELP!!!

19. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

I would love to help but my Kimber basically throws everything to my far right, my Colt Combat Elite tosses them up and right, and my Defender smashes me in the forehead 3 out of 5 rounds. But their all pretty consistent in their ejection patterns.

20. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

That's what makes me think this is an ammo issue. 500 rounds isn't enough to determine a consistent pattern. Maybe I'll just wait for another 1500 rounds before I make a federal case of it. And those 500 rounds have been 6 different kinds of ammo, too!

I hate that smack in the forehead. It's a little tough to stay focused. That would be crappy if that happened with carry ammo. So far that hasn't happened with ammo I'd actually be carrying in a critical situation.

Thanks for the help!