New Kahr CW9

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by Texanbybirth, Jun 29, 2009.

1. Texanbybirth

Texanbybirth New Member

Provided it does good during break in, this will be my carry gun. I have a month or so until my license comes in the mail. I'll probably get to break it in on July 4th. (If I can wait that long.) In laws bring lots of guns and we shoot on holidays. :D

CW9
    [​IMG]

Compared to a Ruger P85
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Any holster recommendations? Nylon? Leather? IWB? Pocket? Thumb break or not? I'm 5' 7" and weigh 215 lbs. I live in TX so consider the heat.

2. SGT-MILLER

SGT-MILLER New Member

Very nice weapon. Good purchase.

I recommend a pocket holster and an IWB holster. It's your personal preference whether you want nylon or leather. I am a nylon type person, but that's just me.

3. UnderFire

UnderFire New Member

Nice!!

Texanbybirth, Congrats!!
    You made an excellent choice.
    I own a couple of Kahr's firearms (CW40 & P380), I'm always impressed on the excellent job Kahr does on making their firearms compact. I keep mine pocketed (no holster) and ready for use, if needed. The CW models are snag free with it's bevelled edges. Really a nice carry gun.

Mine was a bit finicky with ammo during the "Break-In" period.
    But after the first 250 rounds the CW40 became reliable and would gobble and chamber any type of .40 cal ammo I would run through it. The first 50 rounds was the worst, I had probably 3 to 5 loading & chambering issues, but as I ran more ammo (within the first 250) through it the CW40 calmed down and started to behave itself. I've probably ran over a thousand rounds through it to-date without any other issues.

I recommend a good cleaning on your CW9
    before you hit the range. Enjoy!! You have a winner.

4. RevDerb

RevDerb New Member

Congratulations on your new Kahr. I picked up a CW9 about two months ago and it is simply awesome. Shoots straight, conceals easily and break-down and cleaning is a breeze. I have a little over 200 flawless rounds through it so it is now my primary EDC in a Don Hume 715M IWB/clip leather holster. I have converted several of my carries to this holster as it works so well for me. I had a Galco Summer Comfort and it rode too high for me. Just got a 715M w/snaps for my PT111 and one of the P-6's in in a similar set-up. I liked the CW9 so well that I have place a PM9 in layaway for times when an even more discreet carry is called for. Happy shooting.

5. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I looked at the CW9. I think it's a great size for CCW. :cool:

Maybe someday when the money tree in the back yard blossoms....

6. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

PM9 vs. CW9

I just bought a Glock 19 for the 4-month wait before my CCW goes through. My state has a big backlog. I thought I'd get a larger pistol to practice with, then buy a pocket gun later.

As long as the PM9 has come up in conversation about the CW9, what are people's thoughts between the two. I'd like to get a second weapon simply for those days I wish to pocket carry. For me, if I can IWB carry, I think I'll do just fine with my G19, but for those days I'd like to dress in less clothing and just pocket carry, I was thinking PM9. But would the CW9 be a little better choice? Any thoughts?

7. greenjeans

greenjeans New Member

Mine has been flawless since day one, including break-in period. I have the Don Hume IWB ordered from the Kahr site. Good looking holster and priced right.

8. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

congrats!! Range report!! :)

9. Texanbybirth

Texanbybirth New Member

CHLChris - The PM9 is pretty much the same gun. It uses better parts, carries one less bullet and is smaller. I saw them at a gun show last week for $533. I paid $418 for my CW9. I'll try to break it in this weekend so I can give a range report.

10. fxstchewy

fxstchewy New Member

Nice sidearm.........:)

11. Texanbybirth

Texanbybirth New Member

I put about 250-300 rounds through it yesterday. I'm used to shooting my Ruger P85. At first I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with my CW9. The short barrell, light weight, and DAO trigger took some getting used to. My groups were either high or low. The trigger is very smooth, just longer than a SA pistol. After about 100 rounds, I was starting to dial it in. If I really took my time and concentrated on my trigger pull and watched my breathing, my shooting was great and the sites were set perfect. All I have found lately is cheap target ammo so that is all I shot. All ammo was FMJ 115 gr. I shot Winchester, Blazer Brass, American Eagle, and Monarch. I did shoot one magazine of Federal JHP and they did fine.

The Kahr never FTF or FTE. I did have one glitch at about 220 rounds. With a full magazine, on my 3rd shot, the slide locked back like I was out of ammo. I released the slide and finished the magazine and shot another 50 rounds. No more problems. A friend of mine suggested that maybe I didn't seat the bullets far enough back in the magazine. I did notice that the top bullet tries to move forward because of the shape of the magazine. Maybe I should work on keeping the 2nd-7th pushed back as I load. Getting the 7th round in the magazine was a little tough at times. I suspect this will get better with use of the magazine. I plan to get an 8 round magazine before I shoot again. Any comments or suggestions on this matter are appreciated.

I have a month or more until I get my CHL(The wait after submitting all of your materials is up to about 3 months now.) I plan to put a couple hundred more rounds through it before then. Barring any more problems, I think I will be comfortable with my Kahr by then.

12. RevDerb

RevDerb New Member

In my opinion, the CW9 is a little too large for pocket carry but the PM9 fits the bill perfectly for me.

13. UnderFire

UnderFire New Member

Texanbybirth,

Glad to hear you & the CW9 are getting along.:D
    As you know, the more ammo you run through it and the more time
    spent with it the better it'll be.
    Gotta love those Kahr firearms!! :D

14. jng2985

jng2985 New Member

That ruger looks like a brick compaired! Congrats..