New "Judge"

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by fxstchewy, May 9, 2008.

1. fxstchewy

fxstchewy New Member

Bought a Taurus "Judge" :) , going to try it out tomorrow, bought it more for the shotshell ability than anything else.
    hope it's fun to shoot.

2. h&k bigdaddydieseldan

h&k bigdaddydieseldan New Member

congratulations let us know how it shoots and if you're happy with it
    GOOD LUCK :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

3. Greenmountain50

Greenmountain50 New Member

My brother bought one for his store (self defense) and loves it. He keeps the .410's in it at the store. Saw some of his targets, the rev. shot great. They are supposed to be coming out with a new one that holds the 3 inch shell. Did you get the 2.5 inch or the new 3 incher--not sure it has hit market as of yet.

4. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Let me know what you think! I've been wanting to shoot one myself as they've had my interest for a little while now.

5. fxstchewy

fxstchewy New Member

It's a 2.5".

6. fxstchewy

fxstchewy New Member

Can any one recommend good Defense ammo for the Judge in .45 colt? looking for a standard load in hollow point. Thanks Chewy.

7. glockfire

glockfire New Member

8. Bob Wright

Bob Wright Member

I keep a Ruger Vaquero in my shop, loaded with Winchester Silvertip cartridges. This round was used by the Memphis Police Dept. SWAT teams awhile back.

Bob Wright

9. Mitya Karamazov

Mitya Karamazov New Member

Those Win. Silvertips are mucho effective ! I have a Blackhack Combo that I keep those in.
    If you want my idea of what a good def. round for that Judge would be ,,, .410 no. 6 shot ,,, if you are gonna use it for CQB type situations , that'll git er done !
    But , hey ,, I wanta know more about this pistol ! I've handled them in the shop and they really appeal to me , but no one I know has one yet .
    I want to have some positive feedback so I can justify gettin' one !!

{ 'prolly gonna get one anyway}:D

10. chorst294

chorst294 New Member

I wouldn't recommend using shot shells for anything but extremely close range protection. I've shot my 6' barrel gun at 3, 5, 7, and 9 yards and feel 9 yards is pushing it for the .410's effectiveness. For self defense of anything larger than a snake, I use Corbon 200 grain +P JHP.

11. Water-Man

Water-Man New Member

I also like Cor-Bon 200gr. JHP

12. coltm4

coltm4 New Member

sounds like a great gun for hiking/camping. i wouldn't mind having one for kayaking.

13. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

For defense loads in .410-use big shot-smaller shot WON'T penetrate enough on a man size target.

14. westernamerican

westernamerican New Member

Just don't overkill on the load size.........Read the manual on what you can shoot in the Judge! It doesn't eat everything! :D

[​IMG]

15. chorst294

chorst294 New Member

Does anyone know what these things can shoot? I've shot #9, and #4 shot out of my 6' model. The owners manual I received with the gun is the same as all Taurus medium frame guns, no mention at all of particular load that are deemed acceptable. Can anyone tell me what to or not to shoot out of this.

16. fxstchewy

fxstchewy New Member

I shoot any .410 Shotshell in 2 1/2" in mine, it is picky about the ribbed shells but I put some Remingtons thru it fine yesterday, probably any 45 colt ammo would be fine except maxed out handloads. I have more fun with it with 45 colts at any distance within reason, the .410 loads are for less than 10 feet with this gun because of the rifling. Chewy.

17. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

I keep #4 shot in mine for HD. It has more than enough splatter power. The 45LC's are OK, but in a hostile point & shoot (like a home invasion) #4 shot fits the scenario much better.

[​IMG]

I've had no problems with any brand of shotgun shells.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2008
  18. J_B

J_B New Member

19. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

Triple "0" is OK, but not my favorite as you only get 3 pellets. After a lot of close range emergency point & shoot testing, #4 is my preference. There is 66 .130" pellets in a 2 1/2" 410. At 10 feet, the #4 shot simply oblitterates a facial target and has about a 14" pattern. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of this.