New intrest in old A5

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by YoungGunWill, Aug 22, 2010.

1. YoungGunWill

YoungGunWill New Member

So as I am shooting the breeze with my step father bout his old Auto 5, we get curious and decide to look up its manufacture date. I find out that According to the folks at proof house it was made in 1925 (Serial A19XXX):

Browning A-5 Shotgun

So now here I am asking the same Question many have asked before me; Whats it worth?

Srry its kinda fuzzy, took the pics off of his blackberry

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 23, 2010
  2. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

More information please.

I'm assuming that the lack of response to your post is due in part that you did not supply enough information to go off of. There should be a wealth of information on that firearm instead of just the ser. #. Also, better pictures would be nice .. Not asking for much right? (lol)

3. canebrake

canebrake New Member

The value ranges from $750 for a 100% gun down to $200 for a 60% gun.

4. YoungGunWill

YoungGunWill New Member

What do ya need to know?:p

Any questions you have i can answer! What more do you need than date of manufacture and condition to determine value?:confused: Ive been on the hunt for our camera, when I find it i will have more pics asap

5. YoungGunWill

YoungGunWill New Member

Here are some up close shots

Attached Files:

6. A5Mag12

A5Mag12 New Member

That is not a 1925 model gun. It would look to be a Remington made Browning made during WWII (1940-1946). The gun pictured is a $200.00 gun possibly $250.00 because it's a 16 gauge. $250.00 would be pushing it.

7. YoungGunWill

YoungGunWill New Member

and a couple more close ups:D

Attached Files:

8. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

YoungGun,That shotgun's pretty rough,so it isn't worth too much. Is the barrel stamped St.Louis,MO.If so it is an American Browning,not a Belgium Browning.
    Those shotguns were built like tanks and will last forever.I have an early Remington Autoloader (A5) made in 1906,that I still hunt with.
    It was in pretty bad shape,so we bead blasted it,and then Parkerized the receiver and barrel.The original stock and forearm were in great shape,and we refinished them,but I put a set of Ramline synthetic stocks on it,so the wood wouldn't get damaged.

I'd say,just refinish it and enjoy it.They don't make guns like that anymore.

9. YoungGunWill

YoungGunWill New Member

1. It IS stamped St. Louis
    2. The pics don't help, its in better condition than it shows
    3. What does the diff. in the St. Louis and Belgium? (besides the obvious)
    4. The finish is ORIGINAL and according to my old man it will STAY that way
    Thanks Txhillbilly:)

Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
  10. YoungGunWill

YoungGunWill New Member

How can you tell?:confused: I just searched on google and this was what I found, so Im taking your word:eek:

11. YoungGunWill

YoungGunWill New Member

Ok, this makes more sense. I did a little more research and the little side portrait of JMB was started in1934. There is on fly in the ointment; It doesnt fit in the serial number range:mad: So what the H3LL do I have???

12. A5Mag12

A5Mag12 New Member

I can tell by looking at it. Remington made Brownings were the only ones to have the serial number on the side of the receiver. They are good guns but are a far cry from Fn or Miroku made A-5's. They are basically just a Model-11 with a mag cut-off added. No parts other than recoil spring and friction pieces will interchange with a real A-5.

13. A5Mag12

A5Mag12 New Member

I told you what you have.

14. YoungGunWill

YoungGunWill New Member

Why cant I put a date to this damned Serial number:mad: Thank you for the info at least I know what we got lol

15. A5Mag12

A5Mag12 New Member

Because during that time the free world was trying to stop Hitler and gun factory's first concern was the production of military weapons and keeping records of hunting guns was the last thing they were concerned with.

16. YoungGunWill

YoungGunWill New Member

:p Ok maybe there were greater concerns at the time lol But if you do get a serious answer let me know please:D

17. A5Mag12

A5Mag12 New Member

I gave you seveal serious answers.