New (I think) Romanian Variant.

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by FCross7, Sep 16, 2011.

1. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

Was just browsing through BudsGunShop and came across something I haven't seen or heard of before, and that is the M10-762 imported by M + M Inc. It's imported from Romania, but is quite different than the Wasr-10 that we're all used to. For one, it comes with what appears to be a quad-railed handguard. A front sight that is on the gas block instead of a tower on the barrel, along with a few other nice features. The front sight is in my opinion, kind of good and bad. It's good, because it should alleviate the canted sight problems that are seen in some of the other variants, but at the same time it reduces sight radius by a few inches.

All in all looks like a pretty nice rifle and is pretty close to what I would do to a Wasr anyhow, so it would save me a good deal of money. And the other nice thing, it only costs $499.99 on buds, so it's not too much more than any of the other baseline variants.

Here's the link:
    M10-762 Semi-Auto AK Style Rifle 7.62x39 $499.00 SHIPS FREE

Sorry if it isn't actually new and has been around a while, but I'd never heard of it and did a search on the forum and nothing came up.

-Fred

2. towboater

towboater Active Member

Seems to be a good deal to me.

3. 7.62 Man

7.62 Man New Member

Nice looking gun!

4. Toll13

Toll13 New Member

Must...buy...

5. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I've been staring at an online shopping cart w/ this rifle in it for the last couple days yet haven't pulled the trigger yet. I can't seem to make up my mind.

AK's are a different animal when you're an AR guy.

6. nfafan

nfafan New Member

Made by the Cugir group - probably with a bit more QC than the WASRs they make for Century.

7. 7.62 Man

7.62 Man New Member

Go ahead and pull that trigger you won't be sorry!
    You will be able to get back into shooting with the cheap priced AK ammo.
    If you get real courageous you could even learn to bump fire.

8. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I can shoot 5.56 Russian steal out of my ARs for as much or cheaper than 7.63x39 and bump firing is a waste of ammo and time IMO. I just don't like to waste ammo on bump firing when I can improve my shooting.

I'm still debating the M10. I really like the Draco gas block. They say it takes a lot of weight off of the muzzle.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  9. Kabraxis

Kabraxis New Member

damn, that seems to be a good deal to me. i dont know much about AK's but id buy it for only $500. cheaper then my BE 9mm was...

10. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

Rifle Dynamics' website really talks them up. While I like them and I'm sure it does lighten it up, I just don't see how it could lighten them up THAT much. All your doing is removing the FSB. But then again, I don't know all that much about AK's so maybe it does a lot more than it look.

-Fred

11. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I don't know much about this new model but my plain jane WASR10 never has given me any trouble for five years. Pretty hard to beat for a cheap AKM, really an impressive rifle for the money. The October SWAT magazine has an article on one of Pat Rogers' WASRs being run through a class. Quite positive review, other than the obvious ergonomic and sight issues of the AK.

12. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I don't think it's as much of removing a lot of weight as it is moving the weight closer to the center of the rifle making for better balance that in turn makes the rifle feel lighter and increases maneuverability.

I had a WASR10 a couple years ago and was happy. I was just wanting something a little different and I had read the Draco style GB made for a great handling weapon.

13. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

Ah, that's very true. I hadn't thought of it that way. Once I get my Saiga and get it converted, I may have to look into sending it to Rifle Dynamics to have that done.

-Fred

14. nfafan

nfafan New Member

I'm guessing this new config makes an already short sight radius even shorter.
    Maybe if the rear sights were moved to the recvr cover a la Galil or VALMET...

15. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

A red dot will remedy the short sight radius problem.

16. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

I would think that the receiver mounted sights on AKs would have a hard time keeping zero. At least on the Yugo I had, the receiver never really locked down that tight and had a good bit of wiggle, something that wouldn't be indicative to holding zero well. Like MJkeat said, a red dot remedies the problem, and I'm planning on mounting an Aimpoint on the Ultimak rail anyhow.

-Fred

17. nfafan

nfafan New Member

Yeah, true that on the rcvr cover sights. I haven't seen a VALMET up close and personal in over 25years now, and it's been awhile since I fondled one of the Century "Golanis". Can't recall how they handle the potential to wiggle.

Regardless, I had an RDS fail on me on my SIG522 - it made for an abrupt end to the fun and I'll never feel trust in them again. At least these new-style Romy's have ironsights to fall back to.

18. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

There are a couple of great mounting options on the market. One replaces the rear site and the other is a low profile mount that uses the mounting location on the side of the reciever. Not the old style, high enough to give you a nose bleed. This mount will actually let you co-witness an Aimpoint.

----

What brand RDS was it that failed on you?

19. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Take a look at Midwest Industries AK mounting solution.

20. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

I saw the Midwest Industries rail, and it is really nice. I especially like the fact that you can get a top rail that allows a co-witness with an aimpoint, and the price is right. The only thing I'm leery on is the weight. The handguard with the regular railed top handguard weighs 10 oz. It doesn't say how the Aimpoint handguard compares, but I'd assume it would be similar. I'm not sure that I wanna add 10 oz to the front of my gun. The ultimak rail says it only adds 1 oz.

I'll have to wait until I get the rifle to see what the weight feels like before I make any decisions.

-Fred