New hunting rifle

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by remi514, Sep 10, 2011.

1. remi514

remi514 New Member

Hey guys Im looking for a new deer hunting rifle. I would like something CHEAP. I really want something with iron sites so i can get back to my roots so it doesnt have to be something I can mount a scope on. Maybe on old war rifle I just dont know so I thought I would ask the experts. Remember I will be shooting with iron sites only. Thanks:D

2. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

Iron sights only, huh. Welcome to my world of hunting then ;). I use my Mosin Nagant M91/30 all the time. A military surplus rifle such as the Mosin Nagant, Mauser, Enfield, and so on will fit you perfectly. There's something about the old warhorses that are so attractive to me. There's nothing like hunting in the wilderness with one of those warhorses, and the wood and steel to boot.

3. donthav1

donthav1 Active Member

i'm not sure what dollar amount "cheap" is to you, but the mosin is probably your cheapest bet given your criteria. i don't own one, never fired one, but plenty of people on here have & will give you their opinions.

another route would be a 20+ year old rifle from one of the any of the larger makes like remington, savage, winchester, etc., etc... most of those guns were even drilled & tapped for scope mounts along with the iron sights so the scope is always an option if you go that way. there should be plenty of used ones to choose from, at reasonable prices, if you have a few decent sized gun shops in the area. plus going this route there are dozens of calibers you can choose from if you have a preference for one in particular.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2011
  4. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

A good Mauser would work well, but even a used 24/47 will run $250.00 by the time you are done. A 91/30 would work well. They are about 125.00 at most gun shops. You can also check the used racks. 1/2 the time they have no clue about a firearm and put a real gem out for short money. A shop near me had an original, all matching Belgian M24 out for $150.00 and 2 24/47's out for $250.00 each. The M24, w/ the receiver in white (as it was made) is worth about 300.00 to 450.00 depending on condition. They thought the bluing had worn off.

5. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

Iron sights in Michigan?All you really need is one of them single shot H&R's in branch busting 30-30 or 45/70,those ones have the iron sights also and I believe they run under $300.

6. Gloves

Gloves New Member

What is it that you're hunting? You can get yourself a 12 Ga for a good price.
    Can always use irons, Slugs would take anything in N. America and a smooth
    boor 20" barrel is surprisingly accurate out to 50 yards. (4" groups or better)

As for rifles, everything they said is good. I've shot the Mosin Nagant with it's
    7.62 x 54mm using the stock iron sights. Funny thing, that gun seemed to work
    best with the bayonet attached. Anyone know why?

7. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

I keep reading about Mosin nagants shooting better w/ the bayonet attached. What model was it? I have a number of 91/30's and not one shoots better w/ the bayonet attached. I gave my son a Hungarian M44 that is a great shooter, without the bayonet extended. Barrels way back when were tested by setting the action in a vise. A piece of plate glass was laid on top and very fine sand was very thinly laid on the glass. When it was fired the sand would shift into waves, showing the barrel harmonics. Where the sand met and did not disperse is the optimum length for accuracy. One of the major issues that decreases accuracy is barrel contact w/ the stock that creates pressure. If you remove the barreled action and look at the channel on the stock and handgaurd you will see dark spots on the wood or areas of bluing that are worn because of contact. You can lightly sand these areas to reduce contact. Another trick that was used was to shim the action just forward of the front action screw. There are cases of a shim being placed at the front of the stock under the barrel also. The Swiss were known to do this quite often w/ the K31.

8. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

Just a heads up since you're in MI and I know you got a Dunhams near you-They have M91-30's in 7.62x54 on sale for $89.99,sale good util sept 15.

9. unclebear

unclebear New Member

MOSIN NAGANT!!!!! Ammo is dirt cheap, gun is really simple, recoil is not bad, people have used them to hunt everything from hogs to bears.

10. ChicagoJoe

ChicagoJoe New Member

I bought a Lee Enfield No 4 in .303 British for around $200 in the 1990s and have taken two deer with it. It is accurate, has great sights and one of the smoothest actions you will ever work. On the down side, it is heavy.

11. marksman

marksman New Member

I'd say the Enfield mark 3 I've got one, it's heavy but heavier the gun the less recoil felt meaning you'll put your sights on target faster there good guns if you find one with out a burnt out barrel I'm abile to get a 6 inch group a 300 yards iron sight bench rest at the range

12. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Yeah, and the ammo is @$85.00 for 440 rounds. You can't beat it.

They also have a M44 variant of the Mosin-Nagant 91-30.

Carbine sized, with a built-in bayonet. Big fun in a small package.

A 91-30, and 440 rounds, with tax and FDLE & FFL fees, less than

225$. That's about as inexpensive as it gets.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  13. MLRDist

MLRDist New Member

It would help if we knew what you were going to hunt. The Mosin is a great shooter and cheap ammo. If the weight is too much, replace the stock with a synthetic stock. That will lighten it up considerably. Also a few different companies are making scope mount kits if you ever decice you want to mount a scope. If you do remember that you may have to modify the bolt handle.

Mark

MLR Distributing

14. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

I agree with the Mosin being a $ for $ great deal. FMJ ammo is as inexpensive as it gets but I don't know how Michigan laws are, I don't think it's legal to hunt with FMJs in Pa. Hunting ammo is not so cheap. That being said, Mosins are a Hoot to Shoot with a Boot.

15. remi514

remi514 New Member

Hey guys sorry for the late reply I will be hunting deer in nothern Michigan. I have a bunch of mosins just looking for something a little different the enfield sounds like it might fit the bill. I am open to any other suggestions.

16. Gloves

Gloves New Member

Personally, I'm wondering if you can get a rifle with a little more style than the Mosin or Enfield. Are there lever-action rifles that are less than $300?

17. trip286

trip286 New Member

18. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

A Marlin 336 30-30 is about what would fit the bill here.

19. Marthor

Marthor New Member

20. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

The Enfield would suit you just fine or a Mauser might fit the bill too.