New hunter: question

Discussion in 'Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion' started by buddernutt, Jul 23, 2011.

1. buddernutt

buddernutt New Member

Hi and I am new to hunting and looking at my 1st gun. I don't want to go higher than 400, and was looking at the Remington 742 woodsmaster in 308. However, I was also looking at the 770, which is bolt, in 30.06. Any advice would be great (and if you have another gun in mind, by all means, let me know!)

2. SmithKid308

SmithKid308 New Member

Marlin has some nice 30/30's and i own two and love them and is actually selling one

3. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

What are you looking to hunt with it? 30-06 is probably the best for all around, might think about .270
    Something like a Tikka T3 in .270, may cost you a bit more.

4. wmille01

wmille01 New Member

My first hunting rifle was a model 700 in 30-06, I still have it and it still shoots very accurately. It also depends on where you live and what your going to be hunting, here we kill everything from deer to hogs.

5. SmithKid308

SmithKid308 New Member

It does depend where you live i live in ky and only hunt dear

6. Jake15

Jake15 New Member

Personally I wouldn't get either rifle, I've always heard the 742 had magazine and bolt problems, and the 770 is the cheap plastic version of the 700, I'd try to find a 700 or maybe a lever action 30-30, but that's just me

7. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Hunting what? Where? Expected range? You do not provide nearly enough information to give any reasonable opinion.

The gun needed for hunting deer in dense forest is far different from the gun needed to hunt the long Senderos of south Texas.

8. fapprez

fapprez New Member

I was going to say the same thing. Get yourself a 30/30. I like the marlins and the winchesters, personally. I never go hunting without it..........well, unless I'm hunting squirrel, then that would just be silly.:p

9. buddernutt

buddernutt New Member

I would be hunting deer in the peidmont region of nc. Expect range of 100 to 250 yds, and idk how dense the woods, if any are

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

Personally if i was looking for a traditional bolt gun for deer and that classic look i would heavily consider the savage rifles in 30-06 or 270.

11. buddernutt

buddernutt New Member

Is there really that big of a diference in the 700 and 770 other than price? For a new hunter, I want quality, but preferably under 400 bucks

12. bmatt1

bmatt1 New Member

well you said you will be in the woods hunting deer in NC so i would say .243 or .270. i would also look into getting a shotgun and using slugs. remington 870s can be found for pretty cheap. theres the obvious hit to range you have tho. I own a browning A-bolt 30-06 and have hunted deer and elk with it and have bagged both animals. the bolt is very smooth and the gun its self is very light and accurate. i think the cheapest A-bolt will run you about 600 dollars but you wont regret the purchase. my dad has owned a couple remington model 700s and swears by them. but in the woods you may also want to consider a semi auto for the faster follow up shot. browning is still a good company, their BAR is a great rifle.

13. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

for the price its very hard to beat the Savage 110 line of bolt rifles. When tested out of the box they always are very accurate. I certainly have nothing against a remington or Winchester bolt but the Savage has the price point while still excellent quality. Caliber of your choice (no wrong answers there if larger than .22 caliber).

14. bmatt1

bmatt1 New Member

i have heard mostly good about savage. never fired or owned one myself so i cant really comment or suggest one. they do have a lower price than most from what i know tho

15. njbudman81

njbudman81 New Member

I own 2 savage's. A .17 hmr and a .22. The .17 is the most accurate rifle I ever shot and the .22 is from the 1930 area and it still shoots accurately so I can't say anything but good things.