New house blues...

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by IowaShooter, Apr 15, 2018.

1. IowaShooter

IowaShooter Well-Known Member Supporter

signed mortgage on Monday and moved in to the newly constructed house in the few days following

First rain yesterday (Saturday)

Woke up last night to water dripping on bed from ceiling (roof leaks obviously from somewhere... Who knows where it is getting in)

They (builder) will (obviously) need to correct roof leak and rip out damaged ceiling... B@st@rds still are not here yet and we called last night

Of course, mold remediation, wet insulation, sagging drywall ceiling in other spots comes to mind... So does a lawsuit, remediation, 3rd party inspectors and working with my insurance company to ensure the corrections ar done right

Of course...
    I knew the construction was shoddy after watching the house go up, visited often and and watched the ner'-do-well non-English speaking subcontractors work too fast and not communicate with the construction supervisor... Who was himself a hardly-ever-there piece of work... I caught dozens of mistakes and oversights I brought to their attention. It was a fiasco

I never should have signed the mortgage

I should have trusted my gut

I'm a fool... Just wanted this small, modest retirement home so badly (so did my wife)... Has nice view (aka private) and is near our kids and grandkids

Maybe I'll hire an attorney (sounds expensive)

Ok- done with rant

SRK97 likes this.
  2. LT2108

LT2108 Administrator Staff Member Supporter

who are the builders?

3. Ross82

Ross82 Well-Known Member Supporter

What kind of roof is it? Shingles, metal etc

4. IowaShooter

Shingles

I'm sure the cheapest kind they could buy

winds-of-change likes this.
  5. IowaShooter

the largest builder in Eastern Iowa who had been in biz 70 years

6. IowaShooter

For clarity- there is a warranty and they (builder) will fix...

But still irritates me beyond belief

winds-of-change, Viking and Ross82 like this.
  7. microadventure

microadventure Well-Known Member

my last house was an adobe from the twenties with a corrugated steel roof. one ( 1) drop of water in 23 years. I should have saved it. forget that nonsense about warm in winter, cool in summer - the inside of an adobe is 6 hours behind the outside weather

my current house is a balloon construction house joined with an old railroad freight depot. possibly '20s, certainly before WWII. 18 months, not one drop of water through the corrugated steel roof. I opened up a space between the two that got walled off when they spliced the two. Deep dust, no mud except mud dauber nests.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    Viking likes this.
  8. ellis36

ellis36 Well-Known Member Supporter

My sympathies!!! My 15 year warranty shingle roof on my new retirement home failed Christmas morning 7 years after installation. Five different water spots in the main room ceiling. Upon inspection the roofer just nailed the shingles down by driving nails anywhere.
    Hundreds of exposed nail heads.

Put on a metal roof. Should have done it from the beginning.

ellis

Dallas53 likes this.
  9. headspace

headspace Active Member

Ah man! I'm sorry to hear to hear about your problems IowaShooter. I hope you get it all straightened out real soon.
    I don't suppose it makes you feel any better, but over the years I too have not "trusted my gut" occasionally. Usually with similar results.:(

Dallas53 likes this.
  10. Danoobie

Danoobie Well-Known Member

Sorry, dude. I too have been down the "should have trusted my gut" road. For now,
    you have legal and warranty remediation. The REAL fun will begin when all the warranties
    run out.

Case in point, I had an awful plumbing backup at one of my houses. Turns out the original guy who punched out the house for the original owner found a drain pipe had popped
    loose, and rather than glue it back on properly, he wrapped it with electrical tape,
    and skedaddled. How it lasted all these years, I'll never know, but I wound up doing
    battle with a Maple Tree which had taken a liking to raw sewage, and replacing
    10 feet of pipe.

11. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member

the things you learn after having your first house built, should be put into a book for first time home-buyers and those thinking of having a house built! the unabridged and unvarnished truth about contractors and sub-contractors!

12. Danoobie

Danoobie Well-Known Member

There's so many things, it's hard to know them all. Some contractors leave a
    "poison pill" in their work, till they get their final payment. My parent's house had a horrible problem with circuit overloading. Apparently, they were unhappy with the original
    electrician's work, so they refused his last bill, till he redressed some other issues.
    He moved on, but we were constantly chasing our tails, for years, resetting breakers
    for circuits in the kitchen area of the house. Many years later I discovered he had wired
    3 separate circuits onto one 15 amp line, on purpose. If he hadn't gotten stiffed,
    he would have gone back and properly hooked up the final two home runs to the
    over-crowded circuit. It was set up in such a way as it would pass inspection, but
    the circuit in general refused to carry any hi amperage load.

Dallas53 likes this.
  13. IowaShooter

As St. Peter was told by God when the pearly gates were broken...

"Well... If you need a contractor go down to hell and get one!"

(No offense meant to all you trustworthy contractors who might be on FT)

RJF22553, Ross82 and Dallas53 like this.
  14. IowaShooter

Update-- roofers came and looked in attic, swore it was plumbing problem (pvc vent pipe with 90 degree elbow right above leak spot) and they say rain is trapped in the 90 which wasn't sealed properly

Plumber in attic now...

Fingers pointing all over

15. ellis36

ellis36 Well-Known Member Supporter

Better that than the roof!!!
    ellis

RJF22553, Danoobie and Dallas53 like this.
  16. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Not that you asked for advice (that has never stopped me) DO NOT get drawn into the circle of people pointing fingers at the guy on their left-

I do not gave a hoot WHO screwed up. I would care ONLY about the party that is responsible for fixing a blatant warranty of fitness for use- and THAT is the General Contractor. Unless YOU hired plumber, roofer, etc, that is not YOUR problem. It IS the problem of the General.

17. IowaShooter

Yep- builder is taking care if it... We are just pressing them to send right people

Plumber just got out of attic...,said yes, the 90 degree elbow in the vent pipe was leaking... He replaced it

Hopefully good,to go once ceiling is repaired later and insulation checked

Dallas53 and headspace like this.
  18. headspace

headspace Active Member

:)I hope the problem is solved IowaShooter, but to me that sounds like it must have been one heck of a rainstorm to put that much water down a what - 3" pipe?
    Maybe. Like I say, I really do hope a leaky elbow in the vent pipe was the problem. But I have my doubts. It doesn't rain like that in Idaho though, so maybe I'm all wet.:D

Dallas53 likes this.
  19. IowaShooter

Rained a lot yesterday,.. Let me look at how much

headspace and Dallas53 like this.
  20. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

My guess is the boot that seals the pipe as it passes through the roof. It has two possibilities, the flashing wasn’t done right, and/or the rubber seal around the pipe itself. This is the roofer’s issue.

Second thing is the vent line should have been glued, and is supposed be installed with a slight slope back to the waste stack, so it doesn’t develop puddles in it.

Danoobie, Viking and headspace like this.