New Homeland Defense Rifle!

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Samhain, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Samhain

Samhain New Member

I just ordered my 1st AR. I bought the upper from bravocompanyusa.com
    Stag Arms M4 profile 16" Upper Receiver Group.
    Ready to mount to complete AR-15 lower receiver group for $385 (shipped)
    Features:
    16 inch Chrome Lined Bore and Chamber
    M4 Profile
    5.56 NATO
    1/9 Twist
    T-Marked Flat Top Upper Receiver
    Forged Milspec "F" marked front sight base
    Side Sling Mount

The gun shop by my house will sell me the complete Stag Arms lower for $295
    The total for my 1st Homeland Defense Rifle - $680

2. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Sweet. Congratulations! If you have any play in the upper to lower match up, you can add an $8 Accu-Wedge and true it right up. Look forward to seeing your pictures when you get it assembled.

D

3. bkt

bkt New Member

Nice job! That's even a little less than what I paid a few years ago. It's good to know you can still do some homework and save a bundle of money.

4. scoutman

scoutman New Member

Well done. As I have said before, Stag Arms give you the best return on your dollar. If you reload, try the 55 grain Hornady SXSP backed by 24 grains of 3031. This load has been a proven performer for me in the barrel configuration you listed. Enjoy.

5. Samhain

Samhain New Member

Thanks guys. The plan is to pick up the lower Saturday as the upper's ETA is Thursday via UPS. Pics sould be posted by Sunday...

6. hillbilly68

hillbilly68 New Member

Yes, congrats on the new HDR. A trick we use for less money is a foam earplug between upper and lower, .25c vs $8 and the same result. Recommend either one though, Dillinger is right on that.

7. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Not to be argumentative but the Accu Wedge is a gimmick that does nothing but make you feel good and take 8 bucks out of your wallet. If you think a tight fit between the upper and lower is needed you can do an old Army Marksmanship Unit trick and put a short piece of pipe cleaner between the upper and lower at the front (under the breech). That will make a very tight fit for free.
    As the sights are a part of the upper, movement between the upper and lower has little or no effect on accuracy.

8. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

^ What?!

I would fail to see any argument where a sound fit of upper and lower WOULDN'T be a benefit. :confused: I guess by that rationale you also would not need to firmly secure your barrelled action to your glass bedded stock on any bolt gun?

First off, I said "any play in the upper to lower match up" where the hell did that jump to an Accu-Wedge being the end all beat all to accuracy??

Second, since you brought it up, the sights are mounted to the upper, but you hold and shoot by the lower ( Pistol grip ). If the upper and lower move in relation to one another, your sight picture can change relative to hold.

Now, the annoying rattle aside, which I personally don't like anyways, the housing of the upper and lower are aluminum. The pins that hold them in place are steel. If they rattle back and forth under fire you have a wearing of dissimilar metals - guess which one is going to lose that battle.

Sam has two Stag parts, an upper and a lower, but from different end vendors, even though they are from the same company. While they could have come down the production line together, were seperated, and now are joined again in a holy union - but I kind of think that is unlikely. The gun shop near his house could have had that lower for a year, while the upper from Stag could have been produced last month. Any number of variables could have happened at the production facility in that time.

A little slop in the upper to lower match up may not affect him, or you, or anyone else on the forum, but I personally don't like any variables when a fix is easy and cheap.

For the record, I said an Accu-Wedge was $8 - it's $1.99 at CDNN, so even with shipping you are under $5, which is less than 1% of what he spent on the weapon. Hardly throwing money away in my opinion.

If you have a rifle that is shooting 6 inch groups at 100 - installing an Accu-Wedge isn't going to cut that in half. It will save on wear and tear between pins and action, it will keep the rattle down, and it might even improve your overall accuracy if for no other reason than you think it will. But don't buy it because you want to take the title at your local gun club....

Last edited: Apr 2, 2008
  9. slowryde45

slowryde45 New Member

Good deal...and good choice on the Stag. Hard to beat for the money. And that's about right on the lower, too. Stag lists them for $290 for the Tactical complete lower in their catalog. So for less than $700 you've got a winner.;)

Just for giggles...the AR platform has been around for over 40 years, mostly without the aid of a Wedgie. Add one if you like or not. The Rock River folks like to throw that out there, since their upper to lower fit is so tight, unlike all the loose AR's out there. Funny, the Stag and RRA use the same lower, both from CMT. So in theory, you could put a RRA upper on your Stag lower and have the same 'tight' fit. Just a thought.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2008
  10. RMTactical

RMTactical New Member

11. sbninja

sbninja New Member

Good job! Nice price too! I recently purchased my first AR , but I bought mine complete from Bushmaster - Almost twice that price!:mad:

12. slowryde45

slowryde45 New Member

Stag Arms M4 profile 16" Upper Receiver Group. Ready to mount to your complete AR-15 lower receiver group.

This upper comes just as an upper receiver group or has options to add a bolt carrier group and charging handle package (add $90)
    and a bolt carrier group, charging handle, and MI ERS back up iron sight package. (add $140)

You did remember to add these, right? It's still a very good price on the upper, but you will need to add the BCG and charging handle, either from them or wherever. Also, you may want to add a BUIS or some type of optic.

13. bkt

bkt New Member

I can't tell for sure, but it looks like the charging handle is in the picture on bravocompanyusa.com for this upper. It would stink to show it with the handle (which implies the bcg is in there, too) and not actually include it.

Worst case, a bcg and handle won't set you back too much.

14. slowryde45

slowryde45 New Member

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Stag-Arms-16-M4-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/stag%20m4%2016%20urg.htm

True, it does look like it shows them in their ad, but they do state to select from the two packages. $140 for the BCG, handle, and BUIS is a very decent price. And $90 for the BCG and handle is pretty darn good, too. I was just wondering if Samhain had noticed that in the ad when he ordered the upper.;)

15. Samhain

Samhain New Member

slowryde45 you are correct.... The upper came in today, without the bolt carrier group, & charging handle. When I read your post I emailed Bravocompanyusa, and they did confirm I just ordered the upper. I thought for sure I ordered "a complete upper" and I thought I did enough homework.
    I never know the bolt and charging handle were not included in the upper.
    Anyway, I have the lower, and the upper..... my local shop does not have the parts I need in stock, but will order them, and he does not know when they will come in. So my search is on......

I should have just spent the extra coin and bought a complete AR ready to go out the door.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2008
  16. balloo93

balloo93 New Member

Nope, just means the next one you buy will be one you put together yourself. Trust me the urge to buy another one will begin to wear on you.

You can buy yourself a Complete upper or a stripped lower. Assemble the lower yourself and look for deals on stocks or even LPKs. You could buy the complete upper with a sight or look for a gently used one as well.

BRD is like tattoos, you think one will do it, but you find yourself thinking about two, or three, or four........

Just for refrence:
    Stag-15 Model 2H Pre-Ban
    $489.00
    Comes with BCG, CH, and BUIS
    http://ar15sa.fatcow.com/store/page2.html

17. slowryde45

slowryde45 New Member

Sam, don't fret it. You still have a very good upper and lower there. You just have to pick up a bolt carrier group and charging handle now, and possibly back-up iron sights, for those times when you are not using a scope. What you might do is email Bravo and see if you can still add those items from them for the prices they quoted in the ad. Like I said, the $90 or $140 package they offered is still a very good price for those items. And I know from experience that Bravo Co. wasn't out to deceive anyone in their ad, they are great folks to deal with, based on my own dealings with them many times. :)

18. bkt

bkt New Member

Nope. You did just fine. Buy a BCG and charging handle and you're all set. No big deal. It'll still be a lot cheaper than a pre-built complete rifle.

19. Samhain

Samhain New Member

thanks guys, Bavo has been very good to me, it was my fault for not noticing I didn't order everything I needed. I have email the guys at Bravo to see if I can order the parts I need, buy the way I put the upper and lower together and it looks very cool. I am 100% satisfied.

20. bkt

bkt New Member

Damn, bud, it has to be a freakin' tease. You'll be satisfied only after you get to the range. :D

Post some pics when it's all together.