New holster

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by tenntyrant, Mar 3, 2012.

1. tenntyrant

tenntyrant New Member

Got me a new holster for my 1911 it's a Blackhawks now I need to get a good belt any recommendations ?

image-861837173.jpg

2. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

Any good THICK heavy 1 1/4"- 1 1/2" will work. Don't buy a flimsy belt please.

3. cmahan

cmahan New Member

I got my belt at a local police supply store here in Dallas, they had a great selection and it holds all my holster and guns great, if you got a store like that around you I would check them out

4. rigjumpr

rigjumpr New Member

Ditto :D

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

5. glock22gen3

glock22gen3 New Member

To be blunt, but not being a smart butt, Walmart. I got a nice all leather sturdy belt for a reasonable price and it's not going to break! And I didn't pay someone for their expensive idea of a holster belt.

6. rifleman1

rifleman1 New Member

www.galls.com i get alot o my fire gear through these guys but they also carry alot of police gear.there prices are ok.

7. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Wat he said :cool:

8. h8dirt

h8dirt New Member

Go to the Dillion site and check out the leather holster belt they sell. These are double thickness with solid brass buckles and smartly finished. I believe they are Milt Sparks' manufacture. I have bought two. Both times they had the size and color I wanted in stock and shipped immediately. A bit pricey at $70 but they seem like they will last forever.

9. g23shooter

g23shooter New Member

With a IWB the belt rigidity is not as important. However where wearing a OWB it is. Good rule is a 1 1/2 inch belt most quality mfg. of good gun leather will accommodate a 1 3/4 however there are jeans that won't handle it., and almost certainly dress slacks won't . Actual thickness of the leather should probably not exceed 3/16 thick or so, if you get 1/4 thick it will not fit all holsters. Most likely if you go to cheap belts they will certainly be bonded leather and not a single thickness and the stitching is going to be crap, you do not want a wardrobe malfunction as your weapon hits the floor. I would probably look for belts between $50.00 -$100 no need to spend more. I think there is a site called the beltman check it out, reasonably priced and I have heard the stitching is excellent but watch the thickness. Do not wear a OWB with a crap belt you will regret it.

10. canebrake

canebrake New Member

A good gun belt will make a sub-standard holster work. The reverse is NOT true!

Do not scrimp on your carry belt! Trust me on this one.

Give JIM SPEIDEL The Belt Man a call (919) 387-1997 and have him make you a Dual-Layer Bullhide Belt. It will last you a lifetime.

Or go here and order one:

The Beltman - Bullhide Gun Belts

It's a [​IMG] with the [​IMG]

11. DodgerBlue

DodgerBlue New Member

Canebrake, why does every accessory you recommend end up putting me in the poor house?

Your taste are to fine for me sir!

If I ever have the pleasure of meeting up with ya, one shot of Johnny Walker Blue label on me. That's what I imagine you would drink with your taste for the finer things.

12. mudpupp

mudpupp New Member

The 5.11 tactical casual leather belt with permastiff insert has work for me for years.

Inexpensive, sturdy, 1 1/2 ", doesn't look like a gun belt, comes in black or brown

No Walmart belt even comes close

13. canebrake

canebrake New Member

[​IMG]

I take my "Blue" neat. [​IMG]

14. rjgnwdc

rjgnwdc New Member Supporter

15. glock22gen3

glock22gen3 New Member

I've jerked the you know what out of my Walmart belt with my OWB safariland level 2 holster checking out the durability of it. Its sure odd it never let go, go figure. It's not like you gun weighs 50 lbs!

16. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

That's my sentiments exactly. I have a couple for work and they are not even close to a good gun belt.

17. glock22gen3

glock22gen3 New Member

The buckle is more important then the material of the belt. I got a cheap man made belt from the dollar general store and You won't break that belt either, but I wont trust the buckle. To many people get the light wallet effect, sense you pay a lot for something you think it's the best.

18. REDTAIL

REDTAIL Member

Wilderness instructor belts work great,? with any carry holsters.?

19. mudpupp

mudpupp New Member

I respectfully disagree. You need a solid, somewhat stiff belt to hold up a pistol of decent size. When you need that gun you don't want the holster to come up with the gun for even the first inch of pull.

A good gun belt is just as, if not more, important than a good holster.

I have been wearing a Crossbreed Supertuck on a 5.11 casual leather belt for years. It is the best of all worlds for me. Leather against my body, kydex to keep the gun protected and easy for 1 handed draw and 1 handed return, as well as a good stiff belt that doesn't look like a tactical belt and scream "GUN!"

I have one in brown and one in black. I paid less than $50 for both.