New hog rifle

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by CamoToe1, Dec 24, 2013.

1. CamoToe1

CamoToe1 New Member

Here's my new Hog/Long Range Rifle and first bolt gun.
    ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1387936006.353508.jpg
    Remington 700 SPS AAC SD
    .308 1x10 twist
    Leupold medium height rings
    Weaver 20 MOA base
    Simmons WTC 6.5-20x50
    Winchester sling
    ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1387936280.396615.jpg
    I like the looks and feel of the stock, but it's pretty flimsy.
    ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1387936433.232712.jpg
    The medium height rings allow just enough room for my butler creek caps. The scope is cheap and will eventually be replaced. Can't wait to break it in.

2. Steel_Talon

Steel_Talon New Member

That will definitely "get-er-done"

3. MOshooter

MOshooter New Member

Congrats on the new Hog Hunter!

4. Garadex

Garadex New Member

Looks good and I can assume fun to shoot.

5. CamoToe1

CamoToe1 New Member

Thanks MOshooter, I'm heading to your state to hunt hogs in March.

At this point I can only assume its fun to shoot as well... I have 2 boxes of PPU factory ammo for break in and then I can start working up a load for it.

6. MOshooter

MOshooter New Member

Camo are you hunting southern MO.?
    Good luck in March!

7. CamoToe1

CamoToe1 New Member

Yeah, Southeast Missouri. Sounds like we'll have the best luck night hunting from stands.

8. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Hog gun !! Works just as well for deer elk , heck anything but grizzly and a 308 has probably taken a few of them. I do not believe you will like your scope choice and the 20moa mount probably will never be needed for most reasonable quality scopes. Something along the lines of a 3-9, 2.5-10 or 3-12 is more than needed for shots out to 350 to 400 yards .

9. CamoToe1

CamoToe1 New Member

In IL we are not allowed to use rifles for deer and we don't have elk. The scope is off my varmint rifle and not really my choice. I agree it is too much power and not worthy of the rifle. It will have to do for now. I'll probably take it coyote hunting as there are no caliber restrictions. We night hunt and the 50 mm objective on 6.5 power is a good combo for 150-250 yard shots.

10. MaineMan

MaineMan New Member

nice rifle Dude!

11. wallyhunter66

wallyhunter66 New Member

Nice! I just picked up a new rifle also, but I think one like yours will be my next purchase! I like the look of that! Nice gun!

12. rockratt

rockratt Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Nice and congratulations!!!!

13. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

You might be surprised at the quality of some of the cheaper scopes. I picked up a Simmons ProHunter Masterpiece Series scope real cheap. It never fogs up no matter the temperature or humidity. It does not drift or give me any grief at all. For $15 you can not find a better scope. I bought the scope for $5 at a yard sale. Simmons charged $10 for shipping to replace the scope with a new scope. The Pro Hunters cost $120 at Walmart.

14. Jesse80

Jesse80 New Member

In one of the photos it appears there is something going on at the front if the barrel.... Is it threaded, or ported?

15. CamoToe1

CamoToe1 New Member

Yeah, it's threaded for a muzzle device. A lot of guys run them suppressed but I will be limited to a brake in IL. I've been looking at the spikes Dynacomp. Saw a photo of one on a 700 aac and if nothing else, it looked pretty sweet.

16. Gh0zt36

Gh0zt36 Active Member

Cool crawler in your AV sir.

17. Jesse80

Jesse80 New Member

Good deal. Enjoy it. They are fun!!!!

18. CamoToe1

CamoToe1 New Member

I have to agree about the Simmons White Tail Classic. It is heavy, has a small eye box(sweet spot), and small turret knobs. Other than these minor issues it is well worth the $130.00 I paid for it. The glass is decent and has held zero for 2 years and about 50 coyote stands. We'll see how well it holds up to the .308.

19. CamoToe1

CamoToe1 New Member

Finally got a chance to break in the new rifle. My break method was 1 shot, clean for first 10 rounds and then 5 shots clean for next 30 rounds. I now have 40 cases ready to work up a load. The range was only 50 yards but I am happy with the guns performance so far.

I posted my best group of the session. I was having chambering issues when loading the internal mag with 4 rounds and then inserting one in the chamber. After the second shot the third round didn't want to chamber. When I only loaded 4 it chambered flawlessly. I should have quit after my first 4 shots created one ragged hole. Instead I loaded the fifth round and shot low. All shots were off a hornady delta front rest.

View attachment 131595

ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1382069257.077594.jpg

20. sandog

sandog Member

Nice long range set up, but as you said you are already aware of, the big scope and 20 MOA mount are a bit much. I lived in central Texas until I went into the Army, and remember more shots at 20 to 75 yards than at longer ranges. I'd think a lighted dot Leupold in 1.4x or even 2-7x would be great for hog hunting, especially in low light or after dark. I have a Remington "Varmint" SPS heavy barrel .308. I got it because it was left hand, figuring I'd put a better stock and trigger on it later as finances allow. For now, I took off a 4-12x Vortex off of my CZ.22 to put on the .308, but am shopping for a nice scope for the Remington. Looking at a Leupold VX-6 3-18 side focus, illuminated Boone and Crockett reticle. I could have 18x for small groups and long range, but have a lighted reticle 3x for closer shots. Another good one is the Zeiss HD 3-15x nice z 800 reticle but not lighted a bit cheaper than the Leupold at $950. Those heavy barrel Remingtons are capable of some amazing accuracy, mine and a friend"s group all the shots at 100 into less than 1/2".