New Here and working on my FFL

Discussion in 'NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion' started by Ron-O, Mar 25, 2011.

1. Ron-O

Ron-O New Member

Just recently signed up form the forum. I'm in the process to complete the form for my FFL then on to a class 3. Are there any "gotchas" to look out for? So far I have my LLC, State business license, City license to run a business out of my home. When I send in my Form 7 should I go ahead and include my business licenses (city and state)?

Thanks,
    Ron-O

2. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Welcome to the forum. Stop by the introduction area and let everyone know you're here.

There are number of folks doing the same thign you are doing and I'm sure they would be glad to help.

3. Dzscubie

Dzscubie New Member

Welcome to the group, come on in open a cold one and join in the fun.

Scubie

4. Gundog94

Gundog94 New Member

Call your local ATF office. They will be happy to help you. My case agents are great.

5. KeithB

KeithB New Member

They will ask for all the LLC papers, business Lic etc at your face to face meeting, this will help:

Everything you need to get your FFL is right on ATFE’s web pages.

Start here: ATF Online - Firearms - How To - Become An FFL
    You can download the FFL application in PDF format, you can type it, save and print it;

http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-5310-12.pdf

Read through the application form to see if you legally qualify for a FFL, basically if you can legally purchase a gun, you qualify. Also you must have a place of business with set hours of operation. You must plan to make a profit.

You also need certificate of compliance form, you can’t save it, so when typed, print it out;

http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-5330-20.pdf

Here are the instructions for the FFL application;

ATF Online - Forms - ATF F 5310.12 Instructions

You also need to 2 fingerprint cards; you can order them from ATF here:
    Distribution Center Order Form

When you drop off copy 3 of your FFL application to the CLEO (Chief Law Enforcement Officer), they may be able to do your prints. The CLEO is usually the county Sheriff or the city Police Chief.

Mail your completed application, certificate of compliance form, print cards, pictures and fee to:
    Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives
    PO Box 409567
    Atlanta, Georgia 30384-9567 USA

Expect a visit from an Industry Operations Investigator (IOI), who will inspect your place of business and go over regulations and paperwork with you. He or she will want proof that you can use your proposed place of business for business.

Another useful ATF dealer site, includes FFL newsletters etc;
    ATF Online - Firearms - Industry

Lots of good downloadable references from ATF here:
    ATF Online - Publications - Firearms

6. KeithB

KeithB New Member

While at the ATF Distribution Center Order Publications 5300.4 and 5300.5 very helpful information you can review while waiting your IOI visit.

7. zebramochaman

zebramochaman New Member

Welcome from Damascus, MD

8. Ron-O

Ron-O New Member

All paperwork sent to BATFE and the local CLEO today.. Now comes the waiting.. I went ahead and included my State and City business license just in case.

Ron-O

9. KeithB

KeithB New Member

can't hurt, one less thing IOI will need copies of at the meeting.

Best of luck with it. Just had my meeting today. Now another wait for license in the mail box :D

10. Ron-O

Ron-O New Member

Update:

Packet sent to ATF on 3/29.
    Money pulled from account on 4/4..

11. KeithB

KeithB New Member

The wait begins, put it to good use by reviewing ATF publication 5300.4

12. Ron-O

Ron-O New Member

More Updates:

App received in the Martinsburg office - April 12th

Got a call today to schedule my interview... Set for May 31st at 2pm..

:D Wooohooo. The lady was real nice on the phone and was willing to move the dates around. Didn't know they had a local office 10 min. from me. She said she just needs to go over the forms and the book. Probably an hour or 2.

Now it's time for the nervousness to kick in...

13. KeithB

KeithB New Member

Good and bad, close enough to get inspected more often :D My IOI is over 2 hours away.

Relax and learn the meeting is 98% educational

14. Ron-O

Ron-O New Member

30 minute countdown to my meeting. Have all the paperwork ready. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

15. Ron-O

Ron-O New Member

Interview is done. Went really well. Had to give her a copy of my FFL03 C&R because I had marked yes on the app where it said "Have you had an FFL". That was the only change needed. 2 1/2 hours for the meeting but we did talk about a ton of other things. She answered all my questions I had written down and gave me a lot of papers. I should have my license in 2 to 4 weeks if not sooner. She's writing up the documentation tomorrow and said I'm good to go. Wooohooooo!!!!! :D

16. KeithB

KeithB New Member

17. Ron-O

Ron-O New Member

Received my FFL in the mail today.. Need to order forms, get setup with NICS, WHolesalers, and start on my Class 3 SOT. Wooohooooo !!!!!! :D :D :D :D

Sent app 3/29
    FFL received 6/18

18. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Congratulations! Now for the NEXT guy that asks about getting an 01 FFL, you have just been selected as the Designated Thread Killer. :p

19. KeithB

KeithB New Member

Getting the big distributors to sell to you is scarier than the ATF and getting the FFL :D