New hands?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by dteed4094, Nov 3, 2010.

1. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

I am an avid rifleman, not necessarily good but love and shoot obessevilly. Ive been on disability for 25+ years. The V.A. has offered to rebuild my hands and wrists. Does anyone have any experience with joint replacement with Knuckles and wrists? I do get by with what limited use of my hands, but they are promising me possible miraculous results. I am totaly responsible for my Mother who has limited mental capacity due to early stages of altzimers. I manage and do what I have to do with my incompacaties at this time. I am on the negative side of having these rather extensive procedures done. I am almost 63. Has anyone had similar surgery, and do you recommend it. ? recovery time, success? Really would like some direction or thoughts.

2. billdeserthills

billdeserthills New Member

Man Up,
    Someone has to be the first!!:D

3. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I don't have any first hand knowledge on the subject. I have read about some big things they are doing in joint replacement.I can see with your responsibilities how the down time could effect things. If it was me I would have to look long and hard at how would my responsibilities be dealt with while I had these procedures and go through rehab. If you can keep things going pretty smooth then it would be really worth looking into.

4. Troy Michalik

Troy Michalik Is it Friday yet? Supporter

dteed, sorry brother, I have no experience, nor do I know anyone that has any. So I am no help in that respect.

I will however add you to my prayer list.
    Best of luck Sir.

5. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

I would hope the plan is to do one hand/wrist at a time. What do they say about recovery time?

6. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

Thanks for the comments, Now I have to figure out how to get my wife to wipe my *** if I do decide to go through the procedure done.:eek:

7. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

Have to go to Pittsburgh to see the orthopedic surgeon Dec 1. Will have a better idea about my decision then. Right now i think it would be like putting new tires on an old car with a broken frame.

8. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

I'm in Erie, about 140 mi. north of Pittsburgh

9. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

Ah, can't help. That's a haul.....

10. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I wish you well and will pray for you. I thank you for your service as well.

After you have more information you'll be better able to make the right decision.

11. orangello

orangello New Member

Best of luck! I hope they can get you some improvement.

;) How to Use a Bidet - wikiHow

My favorite bit "Dry wipe at least once after having a bowel movement and before using the bidet. Excess feces remains may clog the bidet drain. This can be quite horrid for someone who uses the bidet after you.
    Drinking from a bidet is not recommended. The stream can ricochet off a soiled area and become contaminated."

12. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

At some point even an old car needs new tires if you want it to move.
    One question I would have for the doc is prognosis of the situation should you not have the procedure. You say you get by OK now, but will it get to the point you can't get by?

13. Glasshartt

Glasshartt New Member

Dteed, hope everything goes well. I am starting to do research in shoulder replacement. Doc says that I am going to need it in about 4 or 5 years if the deterioration continues at it's current pace.

14. amoroque

amoroque New Member

Dteed, a woman I work with here gets injections in her knuckles. She says it is very sore for the first day or so but then has great results. Have you already tried this?

15. pabstman

pabstman New Member

I don't know of anyne that has had it done, but I think if it will improve your life and let you do things you haven't been able to go for it!

16. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

It worked for Steve Austin, Better, stronger, faster.:D

Really, though I hope everything works out.

17. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

Thanks again for your comments and encouragements. I will update you when there are any developements.

18. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Yes, please keep us in the loop.

19. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

I could guess at the rehab time, 6 months!! I have a close friend who has had 11 knee surgeries and two knee replacements, the left knee twice.

Recovery time to full functionality was a year on his last replacement of the replacement.

I would think the hand would mend quicker, fewer large muscles, etc.; but you will have to be dedicated to physical therapy and follow the rehab schedule to the letter.

Good luck, best wishes and God watch over you and yours.