new handloader

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by baldrugerlover, Feb 13, 2013.

1. baldrugerlover

baldrugerlover New Member

Hey I'm new to the forum. I am looking to get into handloader and just wondering what would be the best kit to get started. Also, any vet advice would be great. I'll be loading for my .308 and .454 cassull

2. mchoitz

mchoitz New Member

Hornady makes fairly inexpensive reloaders but rcbs are nice too

3. MOshooter

MOshooter New Member

There are several manufacturers that sell reloading starter kits Lee,RCBS,as well as Hornady.

If you shoot a lot and plan on loading large quantities take a look at the Dillon progressive presses,I have a couple of their presses,they are top quality with an excellent warranty.

4. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

If you are new to reloading the RCBS single stage presses are a good choice. The "O" type press has little or no spring when loading large rifle cases.
    The progressive presses are a good choice after you learn reloading. The single stage can then be used for small batches and test loads.:)

5. kjdeut

kjdeut New Member

BaldRugerLover, I could use that name also. Also been thinking about getting into reloading and was wondering the same question along with how much room do you need? Would a person need a dedicated space or can the equipment be taken down and set up again without a lot of hassle?
    Hope I didn't steal your thread.

Ken

6. Vincine

Vincine New Member

7. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Step #1. First thing you should buy.

Copy of "The ABC's of Reloading". Go find a used copy over on Amazon.

READ the entire book. THEN go shopping. And you may find some bargains for reloading gear at Amazon and at E-Bay (boo!).

Right now your hassle will be finding powder and primers. Very short supply- part of the recent buying frenzy.

8. Squawk

Squawk New Member

Don't forget bullets. Very hard to find as well.

9. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

There is a huge range of equipment. I have two presses and a bullet sizer mounted on a 10 foot long bench. But I started out with a portable kit. You can get a Lee Hand Press for under $30. I used to sit in my chair reloading while watching tv with my wife. The hand press is also nice because you can take it to the range with you. You can test loads as you make them.

10. shadecorp

shadecorp Active Member Supporter

DILLON.
    I like my Dillon press
    Have loaded
    .44 special
    .45 ACP
    .45 Auto rim
    Great product.

11. JWagner

JWagner New Member

Here is a second vote for going to Youtube for instruction videos. I learned a lot about the stuff that Dillon left out of the materials that came with the press.
    I just got a copy of the ABC's of Reloading (by C. Rodney James, 9th edition) from Amazon. It cost about $21 shipped to my door. Some of the used ones cost much more. I can see why you folks recommend it ; it is very well written.

12. baldrugerlover

baldrugerlover New Member

Thanks for the info guys. I'm ordering the book now

13. AntonE

AntonE New Member

Just so you know, Lee's Classic Reloader package will not index (turn) the turret loading .308. I learned the hard way, it will load, but you have to turn the turret manually. No big deal, but the surprise was NOT nice. The case length plus bullet length is taller than the interior of the press.

I love loading .308 on it, but the turret is for shorter rifle and handgun reloading.

Tony

14. slewfoot

slewfoot New Member

I would go with either the Lee kit or the RCBS kit with the "O" frame single stage press, I have the RCBS but the Lee is cheaper. My RCBS didn't have a case trimmer, I bought a Forrester seperate.

15. Missouribound

Missouribound Active Member

I beleive the NRA has plans for a reloading bench which works great. It offers storage for everything, except the press which you should mount as secure as possible to the bench top.

16. Apex-Predator

Apex-Predator New Member

Bought a Lee single stage kit some years back, they run about $150 nowadays. I did eventually upgrade my hand primer, and my powder scale to a digital one, the rest of the Lee stuff I still use. It is great for my low volume rifle loading, but the few times I did higher volume pistol loading I was kinna wishing for a turret press. It all comes down to how much you shoot and what you are looking for. There are "better" setups for maximizing accuracy but I have been able to make solid one ragged hole loads in my budget kit (the limit of my shooting skill) and I normally don't shoot a very high volume so I see no real reason to spend any more.