New handgun

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by jersh243, Oct 29, 2013.

1. jersh243

jersh243 New Member

I'm looking into getting a handgun, keep in mind I'm 14 so keep prices reasonable. I would prefer semi-auto!

2. XCR-C

XCR-C New Member

Are you much into older handguns maybe double action revolvers?

3. jersh243

jersh243 New Member

Yes I am, but my friend purchased a semi-auto handgun and we wanted to have a competition, however I am open to a revolver.

4. XCR-C

XCR-C New Member

I know myself im 13 i "have" a nagant revolver its seven shots a old world war 2 revolver. Around 150 i belive there prices have shot up recently. But ammo is resonable at 25$ a box of 50. Its ammo is common at cabelas. A 7.62x38 nagant. AKA 7.62 nagant. But a little more kick than a 22. You can buy a replacement cilinder in 32apc. I belive. There fun to shoot. But accuracy wise im not sure. Im not very skilled at handgun shooting and i havent tested it. Ive shot it plenty of times but in the most horrid conditions. At 100yards. And heavy wind.

5. jersh243

jersh243 New Member

Do you have a website I could get a nagant from? I really like history and the nagant revolver is a very nice gun, I have shot one but didn't really think about it as a gun for me I assumed they'd be more expensive.

6. XCR-C

XCR-C New Member

I cant find a websight right off the bat. But auctions are the best. Armslist maybe? Cabelas defenetly.

7. jersh243

jersh243 New Member

Ok thanks! I will check it!

8. orangello

orangello New Member

http://www.rguns.net/pistols/revolvers.shtml

I have not purchased from rguns before.

I'm sure you are aware that underage people cannot legally purchase a handgun from a FFL/gun store. This is an old revolver, and could fall under the C&R rules. Discuss this with your parent/guardian.

Personally, i'd get with an adult and have a reasonable discussion about purchasing a .22LR pistol or revolver for target practice. The CZ kadet is a trainer for the 9mm cz75b and might have more visual appeal.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  9. jersh243

jersh243 New Member

Yes I am aware I cannot purchase a gun from a FFL/gun store.

10. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

I'd start with a good target .22 such as a Ruger MkII or MkIII or .22/45. Or even a good .22 revolver. I also recommend saving up and getting a pretty high quality pistol for your first. As a first gun, its nice to have something you will want to hang on to. I like the Ruger Autos and Smith and Wesson revolvers.

11. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Can't go wrong with any of the Ruger 22's. I love my 22/45..Also older Brownings like the heavy BBL 6-7/8" my wife shoots...
    The SR22 is a nice newer model, but doesn't have the longer barrels like the Mk III and the 22/45...intended to be more of a trainer for the Larger SR series guns....

12. jersh243

jersh243 New Member

I will check out the rugers.

13. orangello

orangello New Member

I don't suppose the less-regulated but still fun (and still worthy of adult involvement) cap-and-ball revolvers have any appeal? I absolutely love plinking with my Pietta replica of an 1858 Remington new model army revolver in .44 caliber. I also have a single shot, .50 caliber black powder sidelock pistol that is pretty entertaining. You put your bullet/charge together in the barrel or chamber and THEN you get to shoot it, kindalike combining fireworks and plinking.

I think I only spent about $150 for the closeout model sidelock pistol, though I did have to buy powder, projectiles, and cleaning supplies.

[ame]http://youtu.be/D19BiGBpMKE[/ame] nicer model than mine

If you are more interested in the old-tech Russian stuff for the historical perspective, check out the TT-33 Tokarev and the Czech CZ-52, both in 7.62x25mm. These are fun, fairly inexpensive, and still widely available. The ammo is still available from Sellier & Bellot and others, not to mention some surplus. I love the flame my CZ-52 puts out when shot in the late afternoon.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F1YM57&name=Zastava+M57+7.62x25+Tokarev+Pistol&groupid=3

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=372808558

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  14. XCR-C

XCR-C New Member

Yeah CZ 52s are a "armor percieing" round so ive heard. There fun to shoot though. But they move ay something like 1600 correct me if im wrong.

15. orangello

orangello New Member

It is my understanding that there was some ammo for a submachine gun (PPS or something) that was the same size 7.62x25mm, but was loaded very, very "hot". This ammo was widely said to have been designed to pierce the heavy winter coats of a European winter war and such. The modern stuff from S&B and such is milder but still very fun to shoot.

The cartridge is just neat too; you won't confuse it with any others, visually.

http://www.brassfetcher.com/7.62x25mm/7.62x25mm Summary Table.pdf They have a video too.