Firearms Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to this forum, or any gun related forum for that matter. I am a Viet Nam vet and a novice when it comes to gun ownership. I hunted in my youth (45 years ago) and owned shotguns. I currently have one gun, an inexpensive low quality 9mm semi automatic pistol. It jams a lot. I took it in trade in lieu of a debt payment from a friend.

I’m looking for advice on purchasing a better quality small caliber hand gun. I want to start target shooting, plinking and getting my wife familiar and comfortable with handling a hand gun. My preference would be a revolver. Any suggestions or advice on manufacturer and caliber any of you can offer would be appreciated?

Thanks.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Welcome to FTF you'll find a bunch of men and women here with all sorts of knowledge and can answer all you're questions related to firearms.There is a revolver section where you can find the answer you just posted and I am positive the ladies can help with any question that relates to getting you're wife involved.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Welcome

Welcome from Georgia. Glad you found us. I know there are a lot of really nice revolvers out there but I can only recommend firearms that I have shot alot and in a small caliber that would be a Ruger Single Six if you want a single action or a Smith & Wesson Model 617 if its a double action you want. Both are 22 LR so pretty cheap to shoot and ammo is everywhere. I'm really not fond of really small handguns for new shooters unless the plan is to try to conceal it. The short sight radius just makes them harder to shoot well and if you shoot well you will shoot more. I also like adjustable sights on my fun guns. Anyway that my humble opinion. And welcome to the group.

·
FAA licensed bugsmasher
7,141 Posts
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vD94dVu8lqQ[/ame]

The 22LR (long rifle) is the caliber you want. Everybody needs a 22 as it is the least expensive way to shoot and get better at shooting.

Myself, I have a Smith & Wesson Model 17 revolver. It is an excellent 22 revolver. You may also want to check the new Ruger SP101 in 22.

·
Premium Member
19,844 Posts
Welcome here and thank you for your service.

See if you can find a range that rents guns. Even if you have to drive a bit extra, it's worth it. Then pick out a few revolvers and see what you and your wife think.

If you want to use it for plinking as well as home/self defense, consider a .357 magnum. You can shoot .38 special and .357 through it. That gives you a huge variety of ammunition to choose from from hot to downright tame. As far as brands, I prefer S&W and Ruger for revolvers.

·
Registered
21,822 Posts
Find a vintage Smith model 19.

^ Got my M19-3 on Gunbroker for <$400.

to the FTF community. We are glad to have you as a new member!

All you need here is a thick skin and the ability to laugh at anything, including yourself!

Please read the following, it will save all of us a lot of time and trouble:

Please DO NOT post (including in your signature) advertisements, links to sell or advertise if you are not a vendor.

New folks- Please read this!!! << Click Here

FTF Newcomer's Guide << Click Here

How To Post Pics on FTF << Click Here

FTF's List Of Acronyms << Click Here

Join the Gun Owners of America, a worthy 2nd Amendment protector.

Gun Owners of America << Click Here

Please join the NRA, it serves all gun owners well.

Join the NRA << Click Here

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just a bit of shooting advice; which ever you decide to get whether it be a revolver or a semi auto, make sure that you have the correct grip. You do not want to use the semi auto thumbs forward grip on a revolver otherwise you will probably be missing your thumb after the first shot.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to everyone for all the sage advice. After searching the web this last week and comparing all the manufacturers, types, calibers and prices I ordered a Ruger Single Six 22LR/Mag 6.5” barrel at a local gun store. Should be here in about a week. Looking forward to going to the range. I also liked the Sig Sauer 1911 22lr/mag but settled on the Ruger for the aesthetics and the feel of the grip. Maybe the next purchase will be the 1911.

Thanks again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts