new guy

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by DSG, Aug 20, 2012.

1. DSG

DSG New Member

Looking to get/build my first AR.
    I currently shoot a winchester 300 win mag.
    I would like something to build on. I am seeking long range accuracy with effective short range ability.
    Suggestions?

2. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Since it sounds like you have experience going out pasr 400 yards figure what kind of ranges and what type of ammo you are going to use.....then base your build around that.

3. DSG

DSG New Member

Thanks, if I were to build, is there a decent lower/upper you would suggest?

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

5. DSG

DSG New Member

600 is great. I'm simply looking fire a good all around rifle. Something that could handle a decent poke as well as close quarters.

6. DSG

DSG New Member

.223 is preferred.

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

Cqb and long range are kinda opposites. For longer ranges you need a nice stiff longer heavy barrel, cqb light short barrels work better.

The cool thing about ar15 is they got those nifty takedown pins and the uppers just swap in and out as needed. Build up a good lower with a sweet trigger like a giesselle ssa and get a couple of uppers one for cqb one for target shooting.

I would start by building out a quality lower with a stock you like and a sweet trigger and grip. Then while your doing that part out a cqb upper. It will do what ya need until you figure out what you want in a precision type upper.

Just my opinion

8. capnklump

capnklump New Member

9. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

That'd be an awesome endeavor, tho I can honestly say I'm neither experienced nor knowledgeable with either platform. So I'm out, who's up for the challenge?