New guy with questions.

Discussion in 'Mini-14 Forum' started by Dixieduo, Nov 25, 2012.

1. Dixieduo

Dixieduo New Member

Hello all! I am a new Mini-14 owner and had a few questions. My mini is a 582 series and I was curious what you guys thought about steel vs brass? I don't reload so I wouldn't be saving the brass. I just didn't want the steel to mess up my rifle. So far it has had 160rds ran through with the only problem being the mag not the ammo. Aftermarket Pro mags seem to lose more than they hold. I will be buying new mags this week and thats my next question. Besides the factory Ruger mags what do you guys suggest?
    Now my final question is about the stock. I bought a TapCo stock with fore-grip. My question is do they make a pistol grip with the finger grooves that can be switched out for the one on the TapCo stock?
    I am sure that all of these questions have been asked before and I looked but didn't see them. So please be nice to the new guy and help me out. Thanks in advance!

2. Blueguns

Blueguns New Member

Sometimes steel cases will void a warranty. I'm not sure about that particular gun. I'd give the owners manual a once over, it will probably mention whether steel cases will void your warranty or not.

3. Dixieduo

Dixieduo New Member

I will check into that,,thank you.

4. tri70

tri70 New Member

Most of the mini 14's will shoot steel just fine, the mini 30's had the problem with some firing pins. Most people will shoot both brass and steel without issue. Factory mags work best but you can take some lineman pliers and put a slight bend on the feed lips to get them to hold the rounds. CDNN has factory mags for $25.99 right now that is the best deal most have found.

5. hawkguy

hawkguy Well-Known Member

welcome to the forum.

personally, i stick with american made brass. you can get some decent deals through federal, rem umc, and american eagle bulk packs. my mini 14 is in excess of 1400 rounds with only one jam. i personally don't mind paying a bit extra to support american jobs, but that is only my opinion.

can't help you much with the tapco issue. but this is a good forum, someone will probably have an answer for you.

6. Dixieduo

Dixieduo New Member

Thanks guys. I too believe in supporting american jobs and small business owners,but for a few rounds to basically waste and see how it fired I bought some Brown Bear .223's. They worked good except for the mags not wanting to hold them in. I blame this on the fact that they are a formed plastic with no metal to keep them rigid.The only other issue I had was ejection distance of the spent rnds. I have seen a previous thread stating this can be lowered with a new gas block. My only thing is they never say if this helps with the 582 series. I am sure after a little time and tweeking it will be a very nice shooter.
    Once again thanks for the advice and help, please keep it coming.

7. tri70

tri70 New Member

They are brass slingers! Most of us use a gas bushing kit sold by Gundoc or ASI.

8. Dixieduo

Dixieduo New Member

Is this an add-on to the stock gas block or is it something I have to add to the new block?

9. tri70

tri70 New Member

Most are 3 pc kit with 3 different sizes, they are drop in replacements for the stock bushing size. You have to take the screws out and drop the gas block half down to pull the stock bushign out. Replace with a desired size, the bushing also hold the piston into the gas block and should be a little loose with movement. Place back on barrel to other half and tighten screws in an 'X' pattern with an equal amount of torque as possible to prevent uneven pressure on the barrel.

10. Dixieduo

Dixieduo New Member

I will definately be looking into those. Right now I am trying to find a scope mount like the UTG kind here locally. I hate having to order off-line. I like the idea of going in the store buying it,coming home installing it, then go out back and shoot away.

11. heymatthew

heymatthew New Member

Welcome to the forum and to Mini 14 Ownership. I'm a new Mini owner myself as of September and I've put about 1000 rounds through my Mini so far. It's a great shooter and a ton of fun at the range. I have shot a wide variety of ammunition so far without a single hiccup. I've used Brown Bear and it shoots perfectly in my Mini. As does WPA, Wolf, Tula, Remington, UMC, Federal, Winchester and Freedom Munitions. It'll take the 5.56 or the .223 all day in steel or brass and doesn't flinch a bit. As for warranty issues... I dunno. I never read the manual. I guess I should though.

As for magazines, I'm a believer in the phrase, "You get what you pay for." My advice? Pony up a few bucks extra and get the Ruger magazines. Everyone I've talked to will tell you that the Mini 14 loves Ruger magazines the best. They're not that much more expensive than the aftermarket counterparts and they work every single time. I have three of the 20-round magazines and a 5-round magazine. I rarely use more than one magazine even when out at the range. I'll typically shoot 20, stop and reload and converse with my range buddies and then get back to shooting. If I'm out at the family farm or something, I'll load up all three of them and have at it, but the outdoor range I'm a member of isn't set up for me to just go blasting away at anything I want to so I typically shoot a little slower and just use the one. Get one or two Ruger magazines now and a couple later. I'm planning on ordering another few after Christmas just to have because there's a chance that they'll get hard to find at some point and I'd like to have a handful of them in my range bag for just such an occasion.

As for the grip... I dunno. Hopefully someone else can come along and help you out. I know a lot of people are fond of the Tapco stocks and they should be able to get you pointed in the right direction.

Hope this helps you out. Enjoy that Mini!!! :)

12. Dixieduo

Dixieduo New Member

Thank you for all the info. I am glad that someone loves the mini like I do. It is so much fun just to shoot. I have a berm set up in the very back of our acreage and have been shooting everyday since purchase. Its like an addiction, because every night after shooting I keep scanning the web for accessories and what not. May have to purchase another one just so I can go full-tilt ''bubba'' on it. LOL I do know that I want the one I have know to be accurate and precise to hunt hogs with. Along with being able to take it Coyote hunting with my brother in Indy. Keep the info coming guys because I am soaking it all in.

13. bamashooter68

bamashooter68 Member

I have a 580 series with the thin barrel profile. After adding an accustrut and getting a trigger job I retorqed the gas block because it looked uneven. It was. My brass falls about 5-6 ft away at my 4 O'clock which is better than it was. I have a T6 Tapco stock and Im thinking the pistol grip can be changed out to one you like better. Dont know for sure though. I have several ruger factory 20rd mags and a few promag 20rd mags. The promags I have are as good as the ruger mags, but not all of them are good. Kinda hit or miss if they work well or not. I love my mini-14. It shoots 1.25'' groups @100yrds with my handloads shooting in a rest. I load 55gr. 60gr. 65gr. and 69gr. all sierra bullets. They are the best bullet for the money in my opinion.

14. Dixieduo

Dixieduo New Member

I would love to have mine drop that close. We spend close to an hour searching for the spent rounds. LOL.

15. tri70

tri70 New Member

If you have a scoped rifle you can lay a shop rag over the scope and ejection side to drop the brass at you feet. The also sell brass catchers at Brownells.

16. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Steel works better in the combloc guns, which have looser tolerances

on the bolt, and ejector systems.

The brass is much more forgiving on American guns, with the tighter

tolerances.