New guy-new build

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by jg3, Jan 8, 2012.

1. jg3

jg3 New Member

What's up... I'm new to the forum and this is my first gun build.

So far I have only built the lower, which includes:

RRA stripped lower
    Standard LPK
    MAGPUL MOE GRIP
    4 position buttstock
    (unknown brand bought at gunshow)
    2 30 rd pmags

Parts that I have planned for the upper:

RRA upper reciever
    RRA charging handle
    RRA chrome BCG
    Rainier arms 16" match SS barrel
    (mid length gas)
    (anybody have any opinions on these barrels?)
    Clamping low profile gas block
    (would like suggestions)
    YHM diamond series rifle length handguard
    MAGPUL MBUS (FDE)

In the future I will hopefully find a good deal on an eotech.... But I am on a tight budget and just buying things as I can

Thanks for reading and look forward to everyone's feedback.
    I attached a few photos to show the little bit of progress that I have made, since these photos the LPK installed as well as the mystery buttstock (lol)

Attached Files:

2. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Really nice.

Suggestions since you asked and considering how much I like to share my opinion:

I'm assuming the stock is a commercial and not mil-spec. It's probably an airsoft Magpul CTR knock-off.

Rainier makes a good barrel and if PSA doesn't get any of their SS Wylde uppers in stock I will get a Ranier barrel and upper reciever. Yes, go mid length but have Ranier pin the gas block for you. It's cheap and won't move around making you're AR a single shot rifle.

Don't let budget force you into cutting corners. Take your time and save up.

Lastly look around at different rails. You might find something you like better.

3. jg3

jg3 New Member

Thanks for the response...and good suggestion on having rainier pin the gas block.

Any particular rail you would suggest? I definetly want free float and quad rail.

Thanks again

4. MichaelBarton

MichaelBarton New Member

yeah the stock looks like a Magpul knockoff. Looks like you are off to a great start. like MJ said, dont cut corners or you will ending spending more on future replacements

5. jg3

jg3 New Member

Yeah I'm trying hard to not just go out and buy budget parts just so I can get it on the range sooner (that was the first piece of advice I had recieved when embarking on this venture)... Besides the buttstock is there anything else on the list that stands out as "cutting corners". From what I had read up on RRA was a good brand to go with? They aren't colt (but who is). I don't want to come off as cheap just trying to stretch every dollar

6. MichaelBarton

MichaelBarton New Member

RRA is a good brand. You should invest in some good BUIS and a good red dot. EOTech and Aimpoint are generally considered the best.

7. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Look into Daniel Defense. They are not cheap but they look cool as hell, are light considering, and are probably the best rail available. Samson makes a quad rail for Ranier that looks nice. If it's as nice as the Samson I have it's a quality rail. Centurion and Troy make a good rail as well.

It's hard not to settle just to get it in your hands asap.

RRA makes an accurate AR from the things I've read on this forum. I would classify it as a hunting type AR.

Have you looked into other manufacturers?

8. Quentin

Quentin New Member

It does sound like you're building a hunting or at least heavier rifle, is that what you want? What do you actually want out of your build? It's hard to give advice unless we know.

9. jg3

jg3 New Member

Yeah I should have started with that... Mostly gonna just be used for plinking in the desert and range... Would like to possibly get into some sort of tactical competitions in the future (??)... What about my parts list is making it seem more hunting/heavy oriented? My brother-in-law who was my main source of advice said that I had to go stainless barrel and if not I would regret it

The whole thing stared with the RRA stripped lower bought at a gun show. That's the reason I was going to get an RRA upper (hopefully better fit ment)

All in all though I just want a gun that shoots relatively accurately and is reliable ...

10. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

What kind of tactical comp.? If you're going to be doing 3gun or any kind of run and gun you'll want a light weapon. Youtube 3gun and look at their ARs, they are all super light set-ups. SS barrels are nice but usually on the heavy side. Some places such as Noveske and Delta Company Arms make lighter weight SS barrels.

I like to have uppers and lowers of the same brand as well. I don't know why but I do.

11. Quentin

Quentin New Member

The SS barrel and YHM rail suggest extra weight. YHM stuff tends to be heavy and clunky. Not saying bad, just big. I would disregard your bil's advice, SS is good for certain apps but not for a general AR or lightweight AR.

It is nice to get the same stripped upper as lower but not necessary. Completely up to you but not worth a large premium unless you're concerned about fit and matching finish. Odds are you can get the stripped RRA in the ball park so why not match receivers.

I would skip the chromed BCG too. Unnecessary, just get a quality one from Rainier, I think they still sell a true FA/M16 BCG.

Finally, are you sure you want to assemble the upper? There's a huge selection of factory assembled uppers and at no extra cost. Something to consider anyway.

12. jg3

jg3 New Member

Good to know about the weight i would gain.... The barrel comes in at 2.4lbs ... What is the weight of a lightweight barrel?

I am not sure why I am so set on building my own....experience and knowledge of the weapon I guess are the main factors.

As far as the upper goes, I'm gonna go with the RRA because of fitment and I can get an assembled one with FA and EP for $108 shipped on AR15.com besides that one I was also looking at a local dealer (Black Weapons Armory)

What are the advantages of a full auto BCG... And why not chrome?

Thanks again for all the advice!!

13. Quentin

Quentin New Member

My ArmaLite HBAR weighs 2.5lbs while my Daniel Defense LW comes in at 1.5lbs. Both are 16" midlengths. That extra pound really weighs down the muzzle, it's shocking how slow I am with that AR and how tiring it is after a couple hours in the desert.

The FA BCG adds a little moving mass to the action which can aid in reliability. The AR originally was designed with that weight so I'd rather have it today, just like many of us like an H buffer over standard weight.

Full chrome just takes money out of your pocket and puts it in someone else's. And so many make it the important spec when you should be looking at the quality of the bolt, staking, etc. instead. (Not saying not to have a chrome lined gas key and carrier, that's good - just not a completely chromed BCG.)

14. jg3

jg3 New Member

Awesome info!! Thanks again

I have a lot to think about...

My current upper is going to run about $750 give or take, based on what I listed above plus comp and maybe added labor to pin the gas block as suggested. The point is, i am having a hard time finding a prefab upper with similar features for the same price range.

I do like the idea of going with a light weight barrel, suggestions ??

15. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Quite a few of us are fond of the Daniel Defense LW barrel which is hammer forged. Sometimes you can find a good deal and it shouldn't be much more than a SS.

16. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

DD and BCM have great barrels.

17. TacticalPrecision

TacticalPrecision New Member

I'm with MJ on the matching upper and lowers, if you go to a gunshow take your lower with you and see how they fit together, I know most all say "Mil-spec" and a lot of the vendors say "Mil-spec is mil-spec" and blah blah blah, but the fits do vary slightly i've noticed, some are SUPER tight and some are kinda loose and almost rattle.

If you're wanting to get into competition you should always consider your weight and how things work for you, if you maintain best response time and accuracy with an around the hanguard style grip you'll want a Narrower rail aswell as lightweight. If you use a vg or magwell grip for best accuracy the thickness of it might not be such a concern and allow you to broaden your choices.

The other thing to consider if you're planning on putting it through the paces is that if you buy cheap parts every piece you put on is sub-par for durability and consistency aswell. Everytime your stock wiggles, every % of play effects your orientation angle consistency. Little things like that make up for misses at range

18. jg3

jg3 New Member

Update:
    RRA chrome BCG and charging handle
    Aero precision assembled upper reciever
    Primary arms m4 clone

Attached Files:

19. ktmboyz

ktmboyz New Member

Have you handled the YHM diamond series rails? I put one on my YMH black diamond spector carbine build and it is the same if not lighter than any of the other quad rails I own. And forgive me for asking but what do you mean by clunky ? just curious ? I found everthing I have gotten from YHM to be top quality, though I prob dont have as much experience as some of you.

20. ktmboyz

ktmboyz New Member

congrats jg3, looks like you have a good start to your first build.. Be careful though they are very addicting.. my addiction started with one and grew to 7 1/2 now :eek: