New guy in town

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by P_Bot, Jul 15, 2013.

1. P_Bot

P_Bot New Member

I'm brand new to these forums and fairly new to the handgun market. I'm looking at purchasing my first handgun and I need some advice. Over the past couple weeks I have been doing some research over multiple models. I am looking for something that will be comfortable enough to carry around, but also something with a little size to it, dont really want something real tiny such as the glock 26. I am also still debating on weather I want to go with the 9mm or the .45. But I have narrowed it down to about 3 models. The Glock 19 or 30 or 30s depending on 9mm or .45. The springfield xdm line. And lastly I have grown interest in the smith and wesson m&p line. I know it largely depends on how it feels in my hand and how they shoot for me. But any advice is what I am looking for. Thanks

2. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

Welcome from Kentucky.

While all are fine choices, the 26 and the 30s are exactly the same size, the 30 is just a bit wider but pretty small also.

If you are new to handguns, I would recommend a .22lr or a 9mm. I would also recommend something a bit larger unless its a ccw gun only as the larger models are easier to handle.

I personally like the Glock 19, the smith and wesson M&P and the Springfield armory XD and XDM.

3. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

You have soom good insight to want you want. Maybe think about ammo cost and avalibility. Shooting also most a must for a first timer and some ranges will have all your choices in there rentals. Buy thee ammo and maybe shoot all three. Then make a practical choice on how it shoots not how prudy it is. The M&P may have a new trigger in there pistol but many , many older ones take round down range t smooth up or some apex parts to real nice. Not a big deal and you can do it at home. If you think you will get your CCL then besure the model you pick will work well as a carry pistol. Hard to beat a glock IF your hand is big enought to get a solid grip. The xd and m&p may fit the average hand better.

4. JW357

JW357 New Member

Welcome. Be sure to stop by the introductions thread.

I have an M&P9c and I love it. My wife has the full sized version and she loves it.

All are good guns, though. Ultimately go with what fits your hand the best.

5. DavidN

DavidN New Member

I love the M&P, but I own a XDM 5.25 9mm. IMO im not a Glock fan no offense to anyone just my choice. I also had it sent off to Ryan Burick and had the barrel and guide rod mirror finished. Good luck on picking a pistol and all your choices you listed will suit you.

Attached Files:

6. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

And I'm probably the oposite of DavidN. I'm not a big XD fan. I like the Glock 19 for it's size and shootability. I also like the Smith and Wesson M&P.

7. P_Bot

P_Bot New Member

Thanks for all the replies.

I have shot the glock 19 a couple of times and found it to feel comfortable and it was very easy to pick up and shoot down range. This was at a range that had just opened so their rentals was slim and before I had a real interest in purchasing a handgun. I have shot my buddies Kimber 1911 .45. Sure is a pretty gun, but not really what I'm looking for as a first gun and also way out of budget. But I plan on heading to a big time gun shop this weekend to hopefully get my hands on all three.

8. DavidN

DavidN New Member

Good luck on whatever you pick pal

9. Byron0022

Byron0022 New Member

XD9 Sub compact would be a good choice to start with. High capacity, easy to conceal and easy to control at the range. I have Glocks, M&P and XDs and I think that XD9 would be a really good fit for a new shooter.

10. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I have the privilege of owning several firearms in different calibers.

Get one that you can shoot fairly well. If you shoot the 9mm accurately, and the .45 not, then go with the 9mm.

Shot placement is more important under stress than caliber in SD.

Like the guys say above, get one that fits. I would also add that you should look at things to go with it. Holsters, extra mags, ammo selection, repair work and warranty, and sights.

11. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

One thing I might have missed in the thread. Did you mention your intended use for this pistol? You may get some different answers if it will be primarily a range gun, and not for self defense. If it will be a self defense pistol knowing what part of the country you live in could be helpful information. If you're up in the frozen tundra where people layer up for a good part of the year a 9mm may not be for you. If you're down here in the sub-tropics a 9mm should do okay.

12. P_Bot

P_Bot New Member

My intended use is primarily for protection. Of course ill take it to the range on occasion but I'm not trying to be a competition shooter or anything. Also I live in Georgia. Nice advice there I never thought about that

13. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

Thanks. A lot of people don't see or won't admit that several layers of heavy clothing can make a huge penetration difference, and can even stop some of the lighter hollow points before they reach skin. Unless you're up around Atlanta it shouldn't be a problem for most of the year, but it's something to keep in mind when you decide on a caliber.

A lot of people are going to tell you that a 9mm will allow you to practice more based on ammo prices. This is a valid point, providing you can find ammo. Others will tell you a 9mm has less recoil than a .40 S&W or .45 ACP. This is not a valid point unless they include something about firearms of equal weight. A heavy 1911 in .45 ACP has just about the same felt recoil as a short barreled polymer 9mm.

I can't remember if it's been posted in this thread, but try to fond a range that rents guns. Try out several and see what works for you.