Firearms Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! A ways back when the kids came along. I made a couple decisions. I sold my motorcycle and my Ruger Security Six .357. I remedied the motorcycle issue a few years ago and just this past week, acquired a new gun. Looked and held many to a point it was getting confusing but the one that felt just right for my hand was the Springfield XD40. I was all set to buy then I asked the salesman to let me hold a Ruger .357 like my old gun, just for grins and giggles. He handed me a Ruger SP1 and man it was a nice piece. Told the guy I now was sorry I asked to hold it and was going home to think more on it. Couple days later, I was back and bought the XD. Guess the urge that I always wanted an auto won over. Couple questions and sorry if they show my lack of experience.

The slide release is super hard to operate, will this ease up with some break-in?

Not knowing much about ammo, I relied on the salesman to recommend a good home defense cartridge and handed me a box of Hornady's. (also picked up a couple boxes of range loads) These things look wicked. Could there be any legal ramifications that could arise out of using such an aggressive cartridge? ie: the shooter obtained a bullet that would do the most harm/damage, etc.

Looking forward to the conversations on the forum.

·
Premium Member
19,844 Posts
Welcome here and welcome back to firearms.

The slide will loosen up in time. Clean and lube the pistol and work the slide a while. That will help it wear in a bit.

As far as the Hornady ammo, it's excellent quality stuff. However, my suggestion is to find out what law enforcement in your area uses and use that for your home defense load.

If you use what the cops use, you should be good to go.

Enjoy the XD. :cool:

·
Registered
909 Posts
welcome to the forum
congrats on your new acquisition
:D
as for you question i'm not too sure
there really shouldn't be a problem
one of our very knowledgeable members will be able to clear things up
hope you enjoy your stay
:)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As far as the Hornady ammo, it's excellent quality stuff. However, my suggestion is to find out what law enforcement in your area uses and use that for your home defense load.
That sounds like a good idea, I will have to figure out how to do that as I do not personally know any of the sheriff's here. Not sure how they would react to being asked the question.

With the Castle doctrine failing here, it has me thinking.

·
Premium Member
19,844 Posts
Winchester "Ranger" was a very common LEO ammo and Federal "HST" is a newer type. Hornady makes some "TAP" labelled ammo that is used by law enforcement. By any chance is that what you have? Those could probably make do.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Winchester "Ranger" was a very common LEO ammo and Federal "HST" is a newer type. Hornady makes some "TAP" labelled ammo that is used by law enforcement. By any chance is that what you have? Those could probably make do.

I hope this helps.
The box says 180 grain, TAP FPD.

·
Premium Member
19,844 Posts
Then you're golden. It would still be better if you could find out what the law uses though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts