New Gun's Question

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by Ivaniscrazy, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Ivaniscrazy

Ivaniscrazy New Member

Recently picked up a pair of Smith & Wesson 1911 E series pistols. While reviewing which gun to take home-only one at the time-the dealer noticed serial numbers of two the guns where sequential. Not wanting to split the pair...I bought the second for my wife.

Now the questions:
    1-Do they have any benefit or added value if they are not shot?
    2-If you planned on not shooting them, would you clean them? They are still in packing grease...

Your opinion is appreciated.

2. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Definitely clean before shooting.

I would not buy a modern, production firearm I did not plan to shoot.

A commemorative model may be put aside for collection purposes.

YMMV

3. Ivaniscrazy

Ivaniscrazy New Member

Pics of the twins

Attached Files:

4. txpossum

txpossum New Member

I would think that sequential serial numbers would add something to the price if resold to an individual, but not a huge amount.

5. vincent

vincent New Member

If you plan on keeping them for a long time, the value will most likely increase...depends on the market for them...

Did you buy them as an investment?

Very nice BTW...:cool:

6. Ivaniscrazy

Ivaniscrazy New Member

Thanks!

We buy a lot of guns..but always shoot them. Someone suggested we not shoot these and just put them in the safe. These have been in the safe for two weeks-uncleaned. Have have been templed to clean mine and hit the range.

7. deadsp0t

deadsp0t New Member

I collect various things.. Guns, sneakers, hats, tools, sports cards. Anything that can be used I use. If I had a Ferrari it'd have 200k miles.. Is drive it everyday.

8. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

this is stricty my opinion, but even though they are sequential, unless they are commeratives or limited runs of some sort, they are just a pair of pistols that happen to have SN's that sequential.

down the road, if they were sold as a pair, it might up the value to the right person to a degree.

one of the Mods here, JonM bought a pair of new Ruger Vaqueros that were sequential in SN's. he shoots them.

so IMO, clean them, oil them and enjoy shooting them.

9. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I have never bought a gun I did not shoot. I actually hand loaded black powder cartridges for my 38 S&W, Smith & Wesson top break revolver.

10. JW357

JW357 New Member

So, what question does the new gun have?

:p

11. Ivaniscrazy

Ivaniscrazy New Member

Why haven't you cleaned us? Why do you neglect our need for ammo?

Appreciate the thoughts guys and apologize for the typos...We will clean therm and shoot them.

12. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

yes. by all means get them 1911's out and shoot the snot out of them!!:D

i have no safe queens, nor do i want any. when i buy a firearm, it's with the intention of shooting it. i am a shooter, not a collector. it would not do for me to own a firearm that had huge historical value, as i would shoot it!

13. JW357

JW357 New Member

Just messin with ya. No worries about the typos.

My guns are starving. They haven't had any ammo to eat in two weeks or so!

14. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

Are you 20 years old and gonna live to 90? If not then shoot them. It really adds very little to the value. Enjoy shooting them with the wifey.:D