New guns only

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Alpha1Victor, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Alpha1Victor

Alpha1Victor New Member

Am I the only one who refuses to buy used guns? If it aint new in box, I dont want it.

Signing out, Alpha1victor.

2. boatme98

boatme98 New Member

You're really limiting yourself. I buy new, but I love old guns too. Break out and buy an old Colt, S & W, Ruger, Mosin, CZ....see what I mean?

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

i buy new and used. doesnt bother me to buy used. some of the best shooters in my safe are used.

bought a like new cz550 in 458lott for 575$ if i remember right. they list new with the features on mine for about 1300$

got 3 used mosins

a used m1 garand

used 1903a3 springfield

used walther ppks in 22lr

used m1 carbine

all for waaaay less than nib prices

lots more used guns for cheap. prolly half my firearms are used. used guns are often damn good deals since people often fire a few hundred rounds decide they dont like it and sell it.

4. Alpha1Victor

Alpha1Victor New Member

Ok let me restate that. I only buy new modern weapons. Used iconic arms are the only exception.

Signing out, Alpha1victor.

5. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

No I'm pretty much a NIB kind of buyer to. I only have one long gun that was used, but it was a 30-06 Mauser style a guy built as a final project for his gunsmith class with "10 shots" fired through it. Picked it up out the door for 148.00 and it's accurate as hell.

6. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

I'm somewhat the same way. It really depends on what the firearm is, it's working condition, and the price at the time. I've got no problem with buying a used Colt Single Action Army as long as it's in good condition and works like it should.

7. Malan35

Malan35 New Member

I say it depends. My bushmaster ar was used but I bought it from a trusted family friend who was a retired cop. Also my savage .308 I bought used from a good friend. But as far as buying used from a gun shop or online I'll probably tend to stay away from it.

8. alxltd1

alxltd1 New Member

It is obivously your choice to do so, but there is a significant inventory of used pieces that will rival new as to form, function, and accuracy. Used but well maintained handguns, long guns, and shot guns are out there at reasonable prices and with years if not a lifetime of service still to be had from them. My collection is approximately evenly split between new and used and spans pieces from many eras. There really are no "collector non shooters" as all are regulary exercised. I dont think I would enjoy this sport as much if I limited myself to only new or modern weaponry as there is just to much to learn from past firearms and their history. Again though it is your choice and as long as you are actively engaged in the ownership and sports of firearms, all is good.

9. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I used to feel the same way, new guns only. Then I went to work part time in a gun shop. My attitude changed right quick. There are some used guns out there that are great deals and will outlast your great grandkids.

10. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

There are deals to be had in them there hills of used modern firearms.

Remember when the .44mag came out. There were quite a few to be had back then with ammo boxes missing 6 rounds.

11. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I bought a used gun from JonM who posted a few posts up. It is now my favorite gun. I wanted a Mark II and they don't make them anymore. Jon offered me one for a steal and was so kind and patient in getting the gun to me, showing me how to field strip it and didn't even grumble when I fumbled with the payment.

If you know how to inspect a used gun (I don't) or buy one from someone you know you can trust, a used gun can be an excellent buy.

12. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I buy more used guns then new ones. The deals you can find on used guns are too good to pass up. Anyone want a 7.5" Dan Wesson for $350? yes, that actually happen.

13. NativH

NativH New Member

Since my last three guns have been FA, I guess I'm forced into used guns.:D Then there is the Colt Python................ And then I don't seem to have any trouble selling the occasional pistol or shotgun. In fact my boss usually snaps them up the minute I mention wanting to sell something. As long as the gun is in good condition and reasonably priced, if I want it, it comes home. Plenty of NIB also. Just depends on the situation.

14. Jeepergeo

Jeepergeo New Member

History

The firearm's history is a huge concern for me, so I go with New in Box. I simply don't want to inherit a piece with a bad history that could somehow, someway, come back to haunt me. Sure, that could happen with NIB due to some transposition of a serial number, but I will live with that risk.

That said, I may rethink that approach with a building interest in modern classic firearms, and maybe for modern arms that would get seldom use.

15. utf59

utf59 New Member

I think it depends on what you know or can ascertain about the gun. If your friend bought it new, the two of you have both shot it at the range, and now he wants to sell it because he doesn't like the grip angle or some such, then it's obviously a safe purchase.

If you know enough about guns to know what to look for, you can probably tell whether a gun is worth buying, and that will open up some great deals for you.

It's like buying a used car. If you know the car's history, or if you know enough about them, you can find some great deals. If you don't, however, you can end up paying a lot of money buying someone else's mistakes.

16. jismail

jismail Member

I have a S&W 681 that I picked up in a pawn shop, and a Kimber Classic Series 1 and and Ruger Mark 1 that I picked up in a LGS which were both 'safe queens' and had no wear marks on them at all..... All of them were procurred way below a NIB price, and in my opinion, all of them are as good or better then the current released versions of each of them, and they all shoot great. I have no problem with buying used. :)

17. Sonic82

Sonic82 New Member

If I ran into a good deal on a SP 101 or a Redhawk I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

18. chucksolo69

chucksolo69 New Member

Yep, I'll buy used if it is a quality gun. Case in point, this weekend I bought an almost pristine and barely shot Colt Detective Special .38 and a barely used Browning Hi-Power, also in as new condition with 100% bluing and wood stocks. I paid just over 1K for both. Each was a consignment gun so I was able to buy both the same day here in California.

19. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Fine- More good deals for the rest of us :cool:

20. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

YES!

Oh shoot, I guess you dun bought it :( :p