New gun

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by Barney1023, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Barney1023

Barney1023 New Member

Well finally decided to go do some trading. Traded my tcp for a s&w airweight. The gun feels great and actually feels more like a gun than the plastic Taurus did. Hope to get to the range this week while I'm in ga to see how she handles. Any way I got a question about grips it's a 637 with a round butt so will any j frame round round butt grips work I really don't like the black rubber grips that come on it. I would really like to put some classic looking wood grips on it if they will work. Hope to hear some good advise this is my first smith thanks ALOT y'all

Attached Files:

2. magnumman

magnumman New Member

Looks like you have the uncle mikes boot grips which I have on my 442. I would recommend taking a look at Tyler T grips if you are into the classic look. Be careful with others because the dimensions of the airweights make it so that speed loaders don't work with certain grips. The ones you have will work fine as for as that goes

3. Barney1023

Barney1023 New Member

Yea I've looked at the t grips already just wanted to get a nice set of wood before I get them. They do look pretty sweet with the t grips and wood just don't care much for the way these look.

4. magnumman

magnumman New Member

I agree. I am more of a wood stocks guy myself. As soon as I can find some that accept speed loaders I will buy them. If I get time I might try to make a set. Is yours a 357? If so, you might find that little thing tough to hang onto with wood grips.

5. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Has a 642 with CT grips for awhile- Great CCW but i just prefer a simi auto-

6. magnumman

magnumman New Member

The 442 is for T-shirt weather and BUG in coat weather. I prefer a small revolver over a pocket 380 any day. For a full size gun, I'm with you Hoss

7. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I would forget "looks." That little gun gets significantly more unpleasant to shoot with solid grips. You might not like the way it looks, but if you shoot it very much, you'll sure appreciate those rubber grips.

8. Barney1023

Barney1023 New Member

It's a 38 the rubber grips are pretty fat I figured the wood would be slimmer.

9. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Slimmer yes- But i think you'll appreciate the rubber after shooting it ;)

10. Barney1023

Barney1023 New Member

Alright I'll be shooting it before I put grips on it anyway thanks guys

11. Barney1023

Barney1023 New Member

Yea I put 100 rds through it today and yes the I think I'll keep the rubber grips on it but it really wasn't that uncomfortable to shoot at all. I can say I feel much better shooting it than I did the tcp handles much better grips soooo much better and shoots flipping circles around the tcp. I shot at 7, 15, and 25 yards took a few rds to figure out the sights but it was on after that. Double action pulls was easy at 7 and 15 yards to keep in the chest of the target and single action was easy to get head shots at 7 and 15. I tried how the head at 25 hit a few missed a few but all in all I feel very satisfied with the smith.

12. Daoust_Nat

Daoust_Nat Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a 638 in .38. The original grips would not work well with a speed loader. The original grips also broke after about 900 rounds. The plastic with the helicoil inside the grip that received the screw to hold the grips on broke. I had to duct tape her until I could get new grips. That got a few looks at the range.

I bought a set of nice looking wood grips, but as others have said, it was more unpleasant to shoot with the wood then the original rubber grips. I took them off, sold them to someone who doesn't shoot his J frame, and bought a pair of Hogue rubber grips. They are much more comfortable to shoot. I have not tried the speed loaders with them yet. Probably because I don't think they will work.

13. Barney1023

Barney1023 New Member

A speed loader works with mine gotta wiggle it a little but I guess it would be quicker than loading one at a time. Anyway I couldn't resist I won a wood set off eBay I don't plan on shooting it every weekend I just a refresher everyone and then. I don't get rid of much if I wanna put another 100 or more rds through her in one outing ill put the rubber grips back on.

14. Win73

Win73 Member

I agree. Those rubber grips on my 637 do help to soak up some of the recoil. Even with them though it still has considerable recoil. Nothing you can't control with a good grip. And I believe the shape of those grips also helps with the recoil. Even so when at the range I usually don't shoot more than two or three cylinder fulls through it.

[​IMG]

15. Barney1023

Barney1023 New Member

Well it's an early Christmas. Got my grips I won on eBay. I'm going to refinish them probably ebony color and the s&w is rubbed pretty smooth so I'm thinking about cutting the end off a 38 sp round and using that in there.

Attached Files:

16. sirhc

sirhc Member

I'm surprised to hear you say that. It always seems that one of the first things that people change are the grips. I myself really like the wood grips. From the large factories on my .357 to the small ones on my .38

ForumRunner_20121224_184646.jpg

17. Barney1023

Barney1023 New Member

These are old factory grips I got from eBay and my speed loader works better with these than they did with the factory rubber ones