New Gun

Discussion in 'Blackpowder & Musket' started by Sandmancw, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Sandmancw

Sandmancw New Member

I inherited a Crown V-R Tower 1855 rifle. It appears to be a 62 caliber smooth bore. I have been trying to find information about the gun and company. So far the google searches just come up with gun auctions.

I was hoping this forum could give me some information and direct me to some useful web sites.

Thanks,

Sandmancw

2. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

Can you post some pics. There are some really knowledgable people here. But pics are usually needed. Why don't you stop by the introductions section and tell us a little about yourself.

Hey I lived in Temple for a couple of years! I used to work as a mechanic at the Sears that is in the mall.

3. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

It's an 1853 pattern Enfield. V-R is Victoria Regina. Tower is the London Armory where it was made. 1855 is the year it was made. It was originally a .577 rifled barrel.

4. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

That's impressive Hawg. I was curious too.

5. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Didn't even have to look that one up.:D

6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Hawg nailed it. There IS no company- made by Her Majesty's government. all arms were the property of the crown- hence the VR marking- Queen Vicky. Tower was the Tower of London.

7. fireguy

fireguy New Member

You guys are like Rainman counting toothpicks with this arcane stuff. Props to y'all!

8. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

ARCANE???:eek:

9. Sandmancw

Sandmancw New Member

Thanks for all the info Hawg. If it was rifled at first why does it now appear to be a smooth bore and a larger caliber? unless my caliber sizer is off.

Even though it was made by the government, was it not made by a company under contract or did the government make it's own guns?

So much to learn.

Sandmancw

10. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Bear in mind that these fired BLACK POWDER- which is fairly corrosive. As bores wear, rifling wears out, bore gets bigger and smoother. Many a worn riled musket got converted over to a shotgun over time.

Government arsenal. At around that time frame, the US was making its own at the US Govt arsenal at Harper's Ferry, VA. This was when no self respecting govt was going to rely on a civilian company. Until they really needed them.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2011
  11. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

They were made by various contractors. The ones marked Tower were made at the Queens armory in the Tower of London. The U.S. used private contractors for almost all military arms prior to the C.W. Like C3 said if it's a smooth bore now it was probably bored smooth after the war for use as a shotgun. Most of the bored guns had the stocks cut back also. The Enfield had progressive rifling which was very shallow at the muzzle and got deeper toward the breech. Are you sure it's smooth?

Last edited: Apr 30, 2011
  12. Sandmancw

Sandmancw New Member

The barrel looks smooth from what I can see. The stock has not been shortened.

Was able to finally find out some info online. One site mentioned that crown with the V-R under it and the tower with 1855 above it may be trick to make buyers think it was made in the Tower of London when actually it was from Birmingham. Do not know if this is true or not.

Either way it is an interesting piece, no one in the family knows anything about the weapon, it was found in the back of the closet at my in-laws. It will never be usable without a new barrel, the breech plug is broken off. Will probably just clean it up, replace a few cosmetic pieces and put it out for display.

Thanks for all the help.

Last edited: May 1, 2011
  13. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

OK my bad. The Tower marked guns were made in Birmingham. The London guns were marked L.A.Co.(London Armory Co. LTD.) The most commonly used during the C.W. were third models. Yours is a second model. No third model carried the VR except the ones marked L.A.Co. I do believe the VR is correct for a 2nd model Tower but I'll have to do some checking to be sure.