new gun

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by liftedtrucks4me, Apr 3, 2010.

1. liftedtrucks4me

liftedtrucks4me New Member

I am thinking about ordering parts and building an semi automatic gun from scratch. What is the coolest gun to build while being cost friendly?

2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I am not an AR guy, they're too newfangled for me. But there's a ton of guys that love them and have built them here. They should be around soon to give you some ideas. Good luck with your build. :cool:

3. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

I'll chime in on what CA said! If you have $800 you can build a nice gun and there are plenty of links on this forum of members who have done exactly that!

4. liftedtrucks4me

my buddies all talk about ARs, what else is there? Right now the only guns I am familar with is a 30.06, 30 30 hunting rifles and a .22 pistol, only ones i own

5. coolsteve

coolsteve New Member

Definitly an AR. Get yourself a stripped lower, a Brownells catalog and a copy of Shotgun News and have some AR building fun!

6. liftedtrucks4me

ok coolsteve, you will have to walk me through this, is it cheaper to build the lower receiver or order one already built? and same question for upper receiver?

7. CA357

If you don't mind a suggestion, head over to the AR15 threads and post your questions there. That will probably get you more help than you can stand. ;)

8. liftedtrucks4me

i meant to post a reply to you CA, what gun would you recommend?

9. CA357

I'm old and I just prefer M1 Garands and M1A Springfield's. Of course, building one isn't really an option.

I like big bullets and prefer what they're capable of doing.

10. liftedtrucks4me

stupid question probably but have you ever heard of buying a kit that has all the parts in it instead of buying individual parts. I am new to this and a kit would be a good start. looking online at just the AR is a little confusing

11. CA357

I'm sorry, but I'm really clueless when it comes to AR's. I know that various kits are available, such as "Lower Parts Kits" and such.

Dillinger and Canebrake are very knowledgeable about them. You could PM them.

12. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

I second what CA suggests. Head over to the AR-15 thread and look around. Plenty of build threads. Fwiw, the lower is the serial #'d part that needs to be purchased through FFL's. The rest is something you can get from many different sources in many different configurations. Checking out the AR-15 area here is the first place to start. :D

13. liftedtrucks4me

i dont mean just an AR, i mean with any gun, AR is too popular, i want something that you wouldn't always see or hear about

14. liftedtrucks4me

ok I did some surfing around on the internet and found parts kits for a few style guns, of course there is the AR-15 but there is also 2 styles of of ak-47s and the HK33, how good is a ak-47 and what is a HK33. Then is a parts kit everything I will need to put the gun together properly and in working order?

15. CA357

I think that you can put a FAL together with a kit as well. Maybe you'll want to shoot 7.62x51?

16. deth502

deth502 New Member

parts kit, then a receiver, 922r parts, jigs, fixtures, a press, welder, skill, knowledge, and rivets, if its an ak build.