New Gun Purchase:S&W 686 V.S.Glock 20 10MM

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by WannaGator, Jun 1, 2010.

1. WannaGator

WannaGator New Member

Howdy again 'Fellers.

I need a new handgun for 4 purposes:

1)( In Addtion to a 12 Gauge Shotgun or .243 Win. Rifle) Supplimental Hog Medicine.
    2) Concealed Carry
    3) Home Defense
    4) Target

Option 1:
    S&W 686 .357 Magnum wheelgun 6" Barell NIB $686.00

OR

Option2:
    Glock 20 10MM 4.6" Barell 16+1 $535 NIB

I already own a .357 2" snuby EAA Windicator and a Glock 30 .45 ACP.

In light of the afforementioned facts which option is the defacto "Best" option?

Thanks again for all your imput guys & gals.

2. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

I would go with the 686 hands down. There are plenty of ammo selections in 357 for each of your purposes. The only advantage the G20 would have over the 686 is concealed carry. But your G30 should be able to cover that.

3. Mack Bolan

Mack Bolan New Member

a 686 for conceal carry? just trying to picture it;), sounds kinda big for that.

i've gotten to shoot my buddies .357 S&W 686 and its a ball...not too bad on recoil with the ported muzzle either....

i think 10mm=future reloader:eek:

4. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

If the 686 is a pre-lock (no lock on the left side), I say S&W all the way.

I do not care for the newer MIM Smiths or their key lock feature.

They both are a bit big for concealed carry, but the Glock will be better suited for that. Yes with the 10mm, plan on getting into reloading.

5. WannaGator

WannaGator New Member

Too Big For Concealed Carry?

I was thinking about a vertical shoulder holster for the S&W 686.

I am about 6 ft and 260-280 lbs I was thinking a Concealed Carry vest would be the ticket.

Is the S&W too big for concealed carry?

6. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I can conceal a 6" Smith 44 mag, if I choose the right wardrobe and holster. Vertical shoulder holster is probably the best choice.

7. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

I would choose just about anything over a glock. :D

Go for the magnum!

8. WDB

WDB New Member

686 all the way, it will out last the owner and is a joy to shoot. I've carried a 586 in a shoulder rig and it isn't bad with the right clothing.

9. freefall

freefall New Member

A 686 in a concealment vest will make you look like Quasimodo even if your posture is perfect. Vertical shoulder if that's the way you decide to go. I sing the praises of the Colt Delta 10mm. Must reload or mug Donald Trump.

10. Flint Rock

Flint Rock New Member

I would go with the Glock 10mm without a second thought. There is a wide range of ammo offerings for the 10mm. Hog fare to target loads. Full power 10mm loads will handle any hog, and 16 rounds fills good in your hand. A .357 will work, but I like to come down on the side of power and that puts you in the 10mm camp. If you go to Georgia-Arms.com you will find 10mm ammo in stock, and cheaper than 45 ACP or 357 Magnum (well, that's the case in the storeitself).

11. Uchahi

Uchahi New Member

Ok, I am a glock fan boy. Now that is has been said. I like the .357 Mags I have 2 of them. But If it is for home defence and carry I would go with a glock hands down. Revolvers are great they don't jam and that stuff. But a glock holds way more round and you can find the ammo you want to do whatever it is you want for it to do. Just saying!

12. sgtdeath66

sgtdeath66 New Member

10 mm all the way:D

13. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

NO WAY!!!

This is not even a question.

Get the Smith, never look back and thanks us later!

14. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Oh me, oh my. The question. I have an old AO 10mm 1911. It is a big handgun. It weighs 1 pound more than my 1911 .45acp. The weak point is the barrel bushing, they crack. The glock won't suffer from this issue, but it is still a beater on the gun w/ full power charges. I shoot 180 gr cast FP and 175gr SWC. I do have some 180gr JSP for hunting, but they fair no better than the cast lead. The .357 M19-4 w/ a 6" barrel is lighter and easier to shoot. The 10mm tends to roll right and high. The .357 stays on target, it does not come close to the cycle speed of the 10mm, but that is how life goes.

15. WannaGator

WannaGator New Member

I ended up laying away a used Dan Wesson .357 Magnum with a 8" barell.

I need to git 'ma hands on some 180 grain hardcast lead bullets fer kill'n Hogs.

I am thinking next year of buying a Glock 20 10MM and/or possibly a Kahr .45 ACP as well as a Marlin .357 Magnum lever action rifle and either a Stooger or Century Arms 12 gauge Coach gun.

Too bad Glock didn't build a Practical/Tactical model of the 10MM the way they did the .40 S&W or even a 6" Longslide.

Thanks to all of Yall.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2010
  16. WannaGator

WannaGator New Member

UPDATE:

I have on layaway a Glock 29 10MM,I'm trading the EAA Windicator .357 Magnum. As previously mentioned I will soon have a Dan Wesson 8" Barelled .357 Magnum.

Eventually I want to get a 4" & 12" Barell for the Dan Wesson.

17. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

Well, at least you got the Dan Wesson. I think you will find the versatility of it very useful and appropriate for most of your uses.

18. baccusboy

baccusboy New Member

Just wanted to add something to this thread, as I came across it during a Google search.

There are recently been a few "Kabooms" with Glock 29 stock barrels using Swampfox 10mm fullhouse ammunition (200gr. XTP variety). You can read about it on the Glocktalk forum. I understand that Swampfox gunworks and Glock are trying to get to the bottom of the issue, but as for now, Swampfox now issues fullhouse 10mm ammo in labelings noting "supported" and "non-supported" barrels. It should be mentioned that Glock factory barrels are "non-supported," and are no longer recommended for max velocity 10mm loads that Swampfox loads for. Swampfox offers loads specifically tailored for the Glock 29 (a bit less powerful, but still offering over 600 foot-pounds of energy).

Glock claims as long as SAMMI pressures are not exceeded the barrels are safe.

19. WannaGator

WannaGator New Member

UPDATE:

Just traded a friend of mine the 10MM Glock for a .357 Magnum 4 inch barelled revolver.

I now have 2 .357 Magnums.

Will not hunt Boar/Gator this year but will return to FLA. next year.