New gun or reloading kit?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by kaido, Jul 29, 2012.

1. kaido

kaido New Member

Long story short, got a new job with way better pay check and in the mood to buy something firearms related.

Was given the okay by boss man to bring a rifle to work since its out in the country side. So here's my question, do I use this as an excuse to finally buy a new rifle or do I say forget it and buy a reloading press?

Background info: have a .243 as well as two .22LRs, but I've been wanting a .17HMR for a long while. Only looking to spend $300.00 on rifle or kit. The rifle would be used for the odd fox and coyote as well as on gophers. Shots wouldn't be more then 100-150 yards. I know I can get both at separate times, but it's trying to figure out what one to get first.

So what would you guys do, grab a rifle or a reloading kit?

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Wellllllllll...........

I have a 17 HMR. labor day 096.jpg

Yes, it IS a hoot- this one shoots about like a laser beam. I had another- a Mossberg sporter, that did not share the same accuracy. That Savage in the pic will likely run you a bit more than $300, especially if you add some good optics- but I don't know how prices are in Alberta. Ammo for that runs about $12-15 per 50 rounds.

Reloading- yes- you can go buy an all in one box setup- or- first purchase- get a copy of the ABCs of reloading, and AFTER reading it, shop on line for USED equipment. Have never seen a carbide die worn out- and prices on used gear may be far less than new.

You ARE in a nice quandary. To borrow a line from Shakespeare- "Oh my daughter! Oh, my ducats!":D

3. tjacobson

tjacobson Member

Buy the rifle first. Liberals will outlaw the gun before the bullet... ;)

4. kaido

kaido New Member

C3, I'm willing to bend on prices a little bit but also have a rifle in mind for a .17HMR. It's basically my girls but different caliber.

As for the ABC's of reloading book, I planned on buying it all in on go since the closest place is an hour and some away from me.

As far as buying used, there's no where close to me that I can look for used equipment, it's why living in a small town kind of blows. I do plan on reading before I so much as peice the kit together though.

Another reason why I'm leaning towards the kit over the rifle, I want make some recoil friendly rounds for my girl since she.....and some what I , aren't really fond of beating our shoulders every time we shoot. It's why she doesn't enjoy shooing larger calibers then rimfires.

Might actually ask a guy who lives by me about reloading and see if he can give me some lessons and such about it.

I like the way you think sir. Haha

5. tri70

tri70 New Member

A press is the way to go if you really enjoy shooting. I have a Lee torrent press and seval different dies, RCBS, Hornady and Lee will all work. Maybe after a while at the new job you can get a rifle too!

6. kaido

kaido New Member

Well dudes.....I'm going with a press. I in a sense let a friend decide. Me and him planned on going halves on a press a while ago since he has a 7mm RM and wants to find a cheaper way to shoot it. Asked if he was still down to do that and he said yes, so a press I shall buy. Just a matter of how soon now.

7. KeysKelly

KeysKelly New Member

I love reloading. Not only will the gear pay for itself in saved ammo costs but you can customize your rounds, experiment with different loads and it's fun. Remember when every gun shop known to man was low on ammo during "The Obama Scare" right after he was elected? I had a minimum of 1,000 rounds for every caliber gun I own and had over 5,000 rounds of the calibers I shoot most often, .45, .40 and 9mm.

Better to have one gun and 5,000 rounds of ammo than have 5,000 guns and only one round.

8. JD1969

JD1969 New Member

I just bought a Lee press, it's the Challenger Breech Lock kit. Seems a decent kit for the money and got decent reviews. I bought it and all the supplies at my local Cabala's. After buying dies, powder, primer, casings, bullets, a manual and the kit itself I was at $375. I know it will be a different price for you and I know I could have saved maybe $20-30 by buying online, but I wanted to see everything first hand and am willing to pay a little extra for that. In the future I plan on buying on-line and in bulk to maximize my savings.

9. KeysKelly

KeysKelly New Member

Both my reloading press's are Lee and almost my equipment is Lee too. I have been very happy with their quality and their customer service after the sale.

I also got the Hornady manual along with the Lee manual. One thing I will suggest from my experience is most Lee Kits come with the arm ballance scale. I didn't like that at all. I got a digital scale. I bought it as a jewelers scale and it was a lot less money than a reloaders scale. As long as it weight grains you're OK. The arm ballance will work fine but it seems very time consuming. I felt like a Jr. High student in chemestry class with it. I love the digital scale.

I have also found a ton to load data on handloads.com

10. kaido

kaido New Member

That's actually the same press kit about to order online. Not going to order powders or anything yet though. I want get my hands on a loading manual first and then I'll look through it and find what kind of load(s) I want to experiment with.

I'm actually kind of excited to "tinker" with hand loads for some unknown reason.

11. Badshot320

Badshot320 New Member

Id go with the new rifle. But .22mag > 17hmr.

Badshot

12. kaido

kaido New Member

I thought about 22mag over .17, but I've always wanted a .17hmr partially for the cool factor. But also because it seems like I has more load types.

Went with the press for a couple reasons. One is to fix up my own loads.

13. Badshot320

Badshot320 New Member

Well a reloader is a necessity but not near as much fun. I jumped on the .17 bandwagon a few years ago and bought a Savage bolt gun with the Craputrigger. It shot 5 shot groups you could cover with a dime at 100yds, but past 125 yds it went crazy. And this was under great shooting conditions.:(

Badshot

14. kaido

kaido New Member

No, it really isn't anywhere near as fun as a .17 would be. But none of my gopher shots are really over 100 yards at all. I do believe though, that with the money I save from reloading, I'm going to pick up a .17HMR.

Gonna check the stickies and other area in the reloading threads, but does the brass used have an effect on velocity?

(before it gets said, I am going to get either ABCs of reloading or something very similar.)

15. kaido

kaido New Member

Just thought I'd say this real quick.

SHOULD HAVE MY PRESS TOMORROW!!

Man am I excited.

16. beaglesam

beaglesam Active Member

The reloading press was the right decision IMO. It opens up a whole new aspect of shooting with many hours of enjoyment.

17. kaido

kaido New Member

I can agree with that already. I've only loaded 22 rounds so far, but it's pretty fun and weirdly relaxing. Just wish I didn't hit a snag.

18. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

When I can't decide, I flip a coin. When it's in the air I know what side I'm hoping it lands on.

19. kaido

kaido New Member

Oh well I go the kit and loaded close to 100 rounds already. It's a ball to use and ever better when you get to see the destruction it helps you cause. Gophers never knew what hi them out to 70 yards so far.

20. JD1969

JD1969 New Member

With the cost of ammo always going up and who knows what will happen with on-line ammo purchasing, I'm very glad I got into re-loading. I might not really save any money, but I will shoot more for less money, plus I got to add a new dimension to the hobby. You made a good choice OP.