New gun or carry permit??

Discussion in 'Training & Safety' started by nosaj, Dec 17, 2012.

1. nosaj

nosaj New Member

I received a "new gun" coupon from the wife for my birthday. Just wondering if i should use the designated $ for my ccw($200) and some ammo/xtras instead. No i can't get both and due to recent events I'm torn as to what direction to go. Just wanted some opinions to help my decision

2. rhyno13

rhyno13 New Member

If you plan on carrying, go for the CCW. If not then spend it on whatever you want.

3. trip286

trip286 New Member

If you have a gun to carry already, I would say get the permit, ammo, and goodies.

4. nosaj

nosaj New Member

I have a 9mm that i can carry. Just torn between becoming legal or more toys/goodies. Also thinking about future legislation on both issues

5. SigArmored

SigArmored New Member

I'm not sure where to go with this one.The big kid in me says "more toys".The law abiding adult side of me says "make it legal before they decide to make it illegal".Not sure how much you got there but if you go to the right place they will discount you're ccw class if you buy from you're lgs ,at least that's what most do around here.

6. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

Get the CCW! You can have all the guns you want, but if your away from your truck or home and find yourself in a situation where you need to defend yourself, all the guns sitting in your safe aren't going to help.

7. Bear304inc

Bear304inc New Member

^^^^^^^This...

Get the ccw, it doesn't mean you MUST carry, just covers your bases in case you choose to carry.

8. freetobefree

freetobefree New Member

I'd say get the ccw ... This how our gov knows we aren't playing about our gun rights is how many people buy firearms and how ccw holders there are ... This is how we the people in a loud voice say " DON'T TREAD ON ME".... And then you are legal to support your right to carry ... It's a good choice for you and your family ... And later buy some more guns ...

9. MoreAltitude

MoreAltitude New Member

By any chance does your wife have a sister ;-)

Opinion: I agree with the others "go with the CCW". While a new toy is sooo very tempting, the possession of a CCW will allow you to enjoy and use the pistol you already have to a much greater extent.

10. canebrake

canebrake New Member

MORE TOYS WILL NOT SAVE YOUR LIFE AT THE MALL! - cane

11. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I to have agree with getting a concealed carry permit. If you have a weapon and feel threatened you are going to expose yourself to some sticky situations that might prevent you from getting a permit in the future or even owning a weapon. Get a permit, be legal! Even if you successfully defend yourself and lose none of your rights you will have spent far more than $200.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  12. nosaj

nosaj New Member

Thanks for the valid points. If the craziness continues (mass buying along with lower availability and price hikes) it will be an easy decision to go with the CCW. I refuse to pay overinflated prices for ANY gun. I'm more of an "economica" shooter with an SKS as one of my main goto guns. Before anyone says "cheap".....im married with 3 kids(who like to burn through ammo) and do the best i can with what $ i can scrape up. Can't justify $8-900 on a pretty black gun at this point

13. Cattledog

Cattledog New Member

my 2 cents:

The only time a CCW holder should be torn on being legal is when confronted with "gun free" zones. If you're carrying, get the permit.

14. Billy9mm

Billy9mm Member Supporter

By all means get the permit, like the saying goes "better to have and not need than to need and not have".

15. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

QFT. I live in NY (no, not the city) and here we have no option. We have to have a pistol permit to get a handgun. At every Permit class I have ever attended, ( I am considering becoming an instructor, and I am comparing the teaching styles of others.) the instructor tells the students to go for the CCW permit. That way they are covered, and they can have their pistol on them. Not at home in the safe, where it will do them no good when it is needed. You are lucky enough to live where you can purchase a handgun with nothing more than a form 4473. Get thw CCW, and be ready to defend yourself and those you care about. It will be money well spent.

16. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I would get the permit. Get caught carrying without one, and you may not be able to get one.

17. Bear304inc

Bear304inc New Member

^^^^^ this,,,
    Just not worth the risk,
    Ccw = carry when you want
    ( barring prohibited buildings )

No ccw = your azz is now a felon.
    Court fines and fees, unable to ever get your ccw.

Choice seems pretty clear to me.

18. nosaj

nosaj New Member

Wednesday i plan on looking into which local CCW instructor to choose. There is a LGS instructor right up the road but they kind of dropped the ball on a couple occasions when I went looking for a holster. Never got back to me about an order and when told to bring my gun in to fit, the woman behind the counter seemed nervous around the pistol....weird