New gun build, need finishing advice

Discussion in 'Engraving & Refinishing' started by nuktek, Feb 27, 2011.

1. nuktek

nuktek New Member

I am building a mid to high end AK variant as an all around reliable and durable hunting and shtf firearm and am looking for a good finish in terms of durability and appearance. Parkerizing, Duracoat, Ceracote, Gunkote, melonite, Metaloy-any advice on the best quality and value?

2. doctherock

doctherock New Member

You will get more response if you go to the Introduction section and tell us all a bit about yourself.

3. GunSellingInstructor

GunSellingInstructor New Member

Cerakote

My preference is to use Cerakote. The major difference is that the application process to apply this product. See the link below. The other significant difference is the chemical make up of Cerakote its like a powder coat not a paint. This chemical make up when baked on a gun(different types of metals) creates a chemical bond. This chemical bond is very strong and can withstand more abuse then even a factory bluing. Now before you can get this chemical bond you must start out with a bare unfinished metal. This is the most critical part of the application process. When you paint/coat over the factory bluing its like painting over rust. It is not permanent. This is why Cerakote is a better application for the permanent finish.

The Process
    Also look at the gallery.
    Please email at the listed email in my signature for any questions.

4. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

I've used DuraCoat on several firearms that I've restored with great success.. The color options are almost limitless.

5. BillDeShivs

BillDeShivs Member

You can't "restore" a gun with paint, unless it was originally a painted finish.
    Metaloy, Metalife, or one of the other hard chrome finishes would be the most practical for a higher-end gun. HC is extremely durable. Melonite and other nitriding processes are prohibitively expensive on a single gun.

6. P90

P90 New Member

I had a metalife finish put on the aluminum frame of my Pistol, and really like it.
    [​IMG]

7. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

Perhaps I've should have quantified my response... I "restore" firearms from all time periods and makes and models... I apply the paint to firearms when asked for by the client.:rolleyes:

8. Milsurpshooter60

Milsurpshooter60 New Member

here is a duracaot job i am working on now,yugo sks.Not finished yet i had to make the folding stock into a locked out one due to broken part,s,note zebra stripe on rear ,this is a project still in working stage when i am finnished i will post finished job.First attempt at snow camo,i plan to hunt coyote,s with it in late winter snow.After shotgun season for deer.

Attached Files:

• 014.jpg
      014.jpg
      File size:
      31.7 KB
      Views:
  9. atrbertothy

atrbertothy New Member

You can and it is recommend that you parkerize first and then use ceracoat, duracoat, or any other paint. The acid will roughs up the surface of the metal giving the coating you use more bite onto the metal.

10. DuraCoater

DuraCoater New Member

Proper prep and any of the finishes mentioned under average use will last longer than you will own the firearm.

Faulty prep and all of them will disappoint and leave you forming misguided opinions on the product.

Obviously I'll put my vote in the DuraCoat bucket, but that is simply because it is what I have learned to apply and apply well. And the limitless color selection is a plus.

11. Milsurpshooter60

Milsurpshooter60 New Member

Have to agree proper prepping of the firearm parts to be painted is critical in all refinishing,I have been a refinisher all my life and i think duracoat has a great product when used right and proper directions are followed almost got my snow cam job done im waiting for warmer weather i have no heat in my garage so ill have pics to post of a nice duracoat job done properly soon,i apply it with an airbrush myself.but prep is critical to a good and durable finnish, no matter what the product.