New Gun Big Questions!

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by herp_man2003, Jan 9, 2008.

1. herp_man2003

herp_man2003 New Member

Ok I have been eyeing some new gun and im not sure what i want just yet. Im looking to spend under 400 and im thinking that i would like to stay with a 9mm. The gun is going to be for home defence/ pleasuer shooting/ possiable carry gun. I know thats alot to ask for 400 but i have been eyeing the S&W M&P 9 and i would like to hear a little more about it and any others that might fit into this price range. Right now my gun store has the M&P on sale for 369 and you get 4 hi-cap mags with it. Any thoughts would be great Thanks Anthony

2. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

You might want to check out the Springfield XDs too before you buy.

Also, please tell me you're into lizards...

3. hillbilly68

hillbilly68 New Member

Er, uh yeah. If not, please don't EVER post anything in your gallery.:D

Agree with the XD recommendation or Glock. Personal preference of course. I don't care for S&W autos, but that is just me. Get what you can shoot well and get a reliable one. Let us know what you get.
    Good luck.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2008
  4. herp_man2003

herp_man2003 New Member

I used to keep Reptiles thats where the herp man came from thanks for the input i was also thinking about the taurus version of the 92 fs but i dont know i hear bad things about them and their service. have also thought about the charles daly version of the browning hi power.

5. jeepejeep

jeepejeep New Member

I agree with the recommendation of looking at Glock or the XD. The grip angles are different and one or the other might fit you better. Buy quality and what feels right in your hand. Good luck and happy shooting.

6. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

For me the XD is about perfect feel but, I have a paw rather than a hand. The Smith 99 has the interchangeable back straps that can adapt to nearly any hand. The mag release on the Smith is ambidextrious levers and a bit different if you are used to buttons. The two would be a toss up IMHO find out which one feels best and go fer it!
    ps: I do not like the Glock grip angle and you cannot shoot plain lead if you are so inclined.

7. henryk

henryk New Member

I would say look at Glock before buying anything but I doubt you can get a new one for anything near $400. So that brings me to Ruger SR9 for $399. It would appear to be a very nice handgun for that price and if it wasn't for the fact that I am waiting for 2 other 9MMs on order now I would have bought one this past weekend.

8. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

A friend had one for years. It was nicer than the Beretta that it was a copy of.

9. herp_man2003

herp_man2003 New Member

Need a Quick Answer

Ok I was in the gun shop today and they had a used xd sub compact 9 for 325 out the door its 347 what do you think good buy? The gun is in good shape and its got the xd gear and an extra mag. It dosent look like its been shot to much not much wear on the slide the guy at the gun store said that he deals with the guy who brought it in alot and he always takes good care of his gun let me know what you all think thanks Anthony

10. henryk

henryk New Member

Sounds like a good deal to me. I wish I was into buying used; I would probably save a lot of money.

11. herp_man2003

herp_man2003 New Member

Total Turn around

Ok I put the Xd on layway and I was in the shop to pay some more money and the owner had just go a new shipment of guns in and I was just checking some of them out while he was puttin them on the rack and he handed me a Pt 1911. Well it was love at first handle lol it just fit my hand so so much better than the xd did it felt just perfect in my hand. So the shop owner did me a favore and transfered the money from the xd to the 1911. So now im going to have to shoot alot to get used to the 45 im hopeing that it shoots a little softer than the hi-point 45 my buddy let me shoot but if not i used to shoot a .357 mag so i think im up to the task besides that it gives me a reason to shoot more. Thanks Anthony

12. teknoid

teknoid New Member

Did you even try the M&P? Nothing against the XD or PT, just wondering. I'm not that crazy about plastic, bur the M&P is nice. Mine has been trouble free since I've had it. I don't carry it that much, but it sees the range a lot. The interchangeable backstraps make for a good fit for most people.

13. Defender

Defender New Member

You should be happy with the PT. I'm personally not a big Taurus fan, but they're a decent weapon for the money.

The only things that matter are that you're satisfied, and the Taurus performs as expected in case of emergency.