New glock owner ...

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by Down_Town_Dalton, Mar 31, 2013.

1. Down_Town_Dalton

Down_Town_Dalton New Member

I just recently bought a gen 3 glock 19 with 150 rounds of ammo and 2 magazines for 290$.

This is my first and only glock. Is there anything anyone recommends in changing out or upgrading ?

2. steadyshot

steadyshot New Member

Sounds like you got a good deal....

3. Down_Town_Dalton

I think so too

4. j4454

j4454 New Member

It's hard to know what you like/don't like until you shoot. I recommend at least 500-1000 rounds. If you don't know upgrades could just be a waste of money.

What I would do? New sights I hate stock glock sights. 3.5 spring. Extended slide release.

5. FrontierTCB

FrontierTCB Active Member

That is a great deal. Congrats

6. Down_Town_Dalton

Thanks I'm excited to get a range session in.

7. Glore

Glore New Member

Good advice +1, new sights, extended mag, slide stop, lots of ammo

8. AR10

AR10 New Member

Leave it alone, remember one in the pipe is serious business. No external safety. Pretty light trigger. Be careful.

9. jp_over

jp_over New Member

Night sights is all I do to mine; shoot, shoot, and then shoot some more!

10. VazDaGoon

VazDaGoon New Member

That sounds like a GREAT deal. You got a "steal" for that price. Congrats man. Btw, you don't really need to twerk anything with the 19. It's a great gun, especially the 3rd gen.

11. Down_Town_Dalton

Thank you very much, it's at 98% I mean the guy bought it, shot 13 rounds through and then sold it to me so I was surprised and very pleased with the deal.

12. StainlessSteel215

StainlessSteel215 New Member

You got that gun for less than HALF the current price, not even mentioning the ammo, congrats!

Dont worry about extras for now.

concentrate on your gun and learn the mechanics and behavior (safety, trigger pull, sight picture, etc) and practice all the time. I would build up to carrying with one in the pipe until you get the confidence. Remember you are carrying a loaded gun with no REAL safety. I would carry with a full mag, but dont rack the slide/chamber a round in the beginning.

13. Down_Town_Dalton

Thank you and great advice that's definitely an area I will be working in improving another question I might ask is, is it hard to draw from a holster knowing there isn't a safety besides the trigger ? If so what should I do to overcome that ?

14. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

If you are going to use the gun a lot, I would only change their crappy plastic sights. They break easy. Buy metallic three dot. Might as well get some for the nighttime. Have a professional install.

15. VazDaGoon

VazDaGoon New Member

I have the 17, which is basically the same as the 19 except its a little bit bigger; so to answer your question the best way I can, ill tell you what I do in terms of the trigger safety. I carry my 17 almost everyday. 99% of the time it's with the trigger safety enabled. Your question is interesting because it poses a very serious question: what if I were in a situation where I'd have to pull out on someone who pulls out on me? Wouldn't the safety put me at a disadvantage, being I would have to cock it back in order to shoot? There's no right answer to that question. However, there are some decisions you can make in order to address the issue. 1: you can pick and choose what environments you'd like the safety enabled in. For example, Personally, if I'm going to the supermarket to buy some bread, or I'm going from point A to B, my trigger safety is on at all times. ill take my chances with cocking it back as I draw. If i know I'm going into the worst part of the city, with all my jewelry on, drapped up and dripped out lol, my glock is off safety, with one in the head, ready to go. However, Normally, I don't put myself in that situation. 2: you can PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE until you feel you're efficient and fast enough to draw without the trigger safety being a liability. Personally, I do both. In addition, I honestly prefer the trig safety. while my firearm is safely secure at all times, I feel like most kids would be less likely to discharge the firearm if they ever got their hands on it. the mechanics and the pressure/strength it takes to get it ready to go would make it virtually impossible for say, a 5 or 6 year old to effectively cock back and shoot. That's not to say it shouldn't be safely secure at all times though. don't get me wrong, god willing, my 17 will never touch anyone's hands, let alone a kid. When compared to a simple switch on the side of the firearm, I prefer a trig safety.

16. Vincine

Vincine New Member

Are you in a 'high capacity' magazine state? I'd get another magazine so as to load almost a full box at a time. If you get a G17 magazine, you should be able to load a full box at one time I think. The Maglula UpLULA Pistol Magazine Loader works well.

17. Down_Town_Dalton

West Virginia so yea

18. Down_Town_Dalton

Sounds great ill Deff take your advice and get some practice in.
    Any recommended holsters ? Where should I buy them from?

19. Down_Town_Dalton

Thank you. Ill Deff get some range time and practice in,
    Any recommended holsters ?
    Where should I buy them ?

20. VazDaGoon

VazDaGoon New Member

I have the Blackhawk inside the pants holster. It's comfortable when compared to leather or other holster materials.

image-343260539.jpg

That's the one I have; in another barrel size.