New Glock Owner - Problem

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by New2Glocks, Jun 8, 2009.

1. New2Glocks

New2Glocks New Member

Hello out there. I'm hoping someone can help me. I just bought my first gun (a Glock 17) two days ago and I already got myself into a problem. When I got home I disassembled and cleaned the gun with instructions off of the internet. No problem there, but when I went to reassemble, I made a mistake.

Rather than replacing the slide from the front and drawing it backwards, I replaced it from the front and pushed forwards. The slide is now caught on the back rails, not able to go any farther backwards or forwards than shown in the pictures below.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I would really appreciate it if anyone has any words of wisdom for a new gun owner. Thanks.

2. SIGe-nox

SIGe-nox New Member

Personally i wouldve said screw a glock get a Sig but im not sure how u managed to pull that one off. If i can figure out a way i will post it up for u.

3. Ram Rod

Ram Rod New Member

Obviously the recoil rod is what has it all in a bind. You can get a new recoil rod assembly for under $10, so if I were you.....I'd cut it, or break it off, then maybe your slide will come down enough for you to push the slide forward enough to get it off. Since the recoil rod doesn't appear to be where it should locked up by the barrel lug....maybe it is up against the locking block. If that's the case, maybe you can punch out the locking block pin and everything will come loose. Just push the slide forward instead of twisting it up off the rear rails. There may also be some damage to the ejector, but we'll hope for the best.

4. dynastyofnext

dynastyofnext New Member

How on earth is that even possible? Better hope cane doesnt see this thread or he will add this to his Glocktasterfy fotos. Is your barrel caught on anything?

5. james_black

james_black New Member

I have to second this. I tried to copy your problem with one of my glocks to see if I can help you. You must yanked the crap out of that slide in order to get it stock like that. The only thing I can suggest is to get a flathead screwdriver and place it underneath the guiding rod. Lift up and down at the same time you are pushing foward the slide from the back. Might wanna do that using the floor or a hard flat surface. Glocks a tough guns. I have personally
    have seen them been abuse to the pulp for 3.5 yrs and they still running. I own 5 myself.
    Next time if it doesn't slide in smooth don't slide it or force it. Let me know if it work.

6. mbpike

mbpike New Member

You have yourself in a pickle. I would say your best bet is to try to snip the recoil spring out of there. What ever you do don't try to force or "beat" the slide back down. Might mess everything up even more. once you get it fixed just be careful

7. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Ahh hell.... just take that damn glock back to where you got it and trade up for a S&W M&P .40 or .45. There, problem solved. ;):D:D:D

8. SirIsaacNewton

SirIsaacNewton New Member

My words of wisdom invest in a taser all you have to with those is replace batteries.

LOL

I am sorry I couldn't help my self good luck man.

Let us know what you decide and how it works out for you.

I personally second the cutting of the guide rod and recoil spring. Then it gives you an excuse to upgrade to a stainless set.

9. General_lee

General_lee New Member

Big....rubber....hammer

10. Yunus

Yunus New Member

I think Ramrod is right but...

I would take it to a gunsmith. Before I fired it I would like the peace of mind of having an expert look at it to make sure that nothing else appears to be damaged. It's your first gun, and you don't want a experience with it.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

11. RyanG23

RyanG23 New Member

If you just bought the gun? Why would you go home and clean it if it was already brand new? And that's a pretty funny picture. Good luck with that buddy

12. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Why wouldn't you?? You just buy a weapon, put it in the safe, then take it out and shoot it whenever you get around to it?? :rolleyes:

I field strip and clean EVERY weapon I purchase - down to the bare components, because I want to know if there is ANYTHING out of the norm, out of place of just plain doesn't look right.

JD

13. katdadee

katdadee New Member

Another reason you want to clean a brand spanking new firearm is to remove the oil that is on the gun, leaving it on the gun can cause problems.

Amp

14. Rentacop

Rentacop Well-Known Member

The problem is not simply the slide being off the rails. The recoil spring is not seated in the front of the slide. I would try to grab the front of the recoil spring/guide rod assembly with some small ( maybe needle-nose )pliers and pull it out. Then see if you can force the slide off.
    Ignore the advice to get a different make of gun. Few are as proven in actual service as Glocks.

15. SGT-MILLER

SGT-MILLER New Member

Have you taken it to a qualified gunsmith or a certified Glock Armorer in your area yet? It might be wise to do that. You may run risk of damaging your weapon if you try to yank the slide off yourself.

16. james_black

james_black New Member

Did you ever fix your glock? You haven't you haven't told us yet.

17. DrGonzo11

DrGonzo11 New Member

Again....... Astounded by your infinite wisdom......... I hope nobody actually listens to your "advice" here or in your neck of the woods.

18. DrGonzo11

DrGonzo11 New Member

Sorry but BAD advice needs to be pointed out before someone else heeds said advice........consider it a public service announcement.

19. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

Even though it's new doesn't mean it's clean. It's been sitting at a shop getting handled, collecting dust and it was test fired at the factory.

-Fred

20. DrGonzo11

DrGonzo11 New Member

NOW we're on the same page, thanks for coming around.......