New Glock 23 Range today

Discussion in 'Range Report' started by 12fretter, Nov 18, 2013.

1. 12fretter

12fretter New Member

I am new to Glock and I just received this today from Glock.

First, a couple comments on the gun. I went through the backstraps and decided on the largest one. It felt the best in my mid to large hands. The grips are hard and I was immediately thinking I'll have to wrap them somehow in rubberized something or other, but it's not horrible. The first mag was painful. The trigger guard was getting my right hand middle finger. But the more I shot, without consciously addressing the issue, the more comfortable it became. After about three mags, I wasn't feeling it anymore at all.

The trigger is a bit stiff. I'd really like to improve that someday.

I'm not a good shooter, and my skill level on any particular day is determined by how many holes I can account for, not how close to the middle I am. Today I just used paper plates as targets. When I took my time, here are the results I got:

7 yards:
    [​IMG]

10 yards:
    [​IMG]

15 yards:
    [​IMG]

On the 15 yard plate, there is one round unaccounted for. Overall, this is a stellar day for me. I certainly would feel very comfortable carrying this every day, as was intended when I bought it.

Any advice on grips would be appreciated. Also, should I break the trigger in at all or just have it looked at now?

Thanks for any tips.

2. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Wow! Stacking bullets at fifteen yards with a handgun. :)

3. Garadex

Garadex New Member

I call bs on the "not a good shot" thing, thats good enough for defense.

4. 12fretter

12fretter New Member

It is good enough for self defense, I know. But I've seen guys on here with groupings where you can't count the holes cuz they all blend together. That's where I want to be. But I was good with my results for sure.

5. vincent

vincent New Member

My .02...If this is going to be your EDC, don't alter/'upgrade' with the trigger...

You can dry fire the peadoodles out of it, this may help to wear the trigger in a bit while saving on ammo...

GLOCKS aren't exactly known for their crisp, smooth triggers...

Nice shootin', congrats on the new gun...:cool:

6. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Under stress you can multiply that group times four. That is on a good day. That is why it often takes 15 shots just to scare an attacker.:eek:

7. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

If you want a gun with a nice smooth trigger it has to have a hammer you can cock. Double action triggers have to perform to many functions to have a nice crisp break. The trigger will break in some but it is always going have a longer pull than a single action. Everything about a gun is a trade off.

8. 12fretter

12fretter New Member

I shot someone else Glock a month or so ago and the trigger was big time smooth. Either he had work done on it or it naturally broke in that way, but in either case, it gives me hope. I'll ask him the next time I see him.

Copy that. I've been talking to my wife and daughter about doing drills and they are for it. Now, instead of concentrating on shooting the bullseye, we're going to be hanginig full size silhouettes and firing from a draw, rapid fire, from 20 feet away, after doing some pushups. Then we'll see how bad we all are!!

Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
  9. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Shoot in a few IDPA matches. The courses of fire are designed to force the participant to shoot from cover and on the move. You don't have to try to win. Just try to have fun.

If you have a bad experience at a match do not return to that range. I went through a bad experience. Before I even got through the safety orientation a participant threatened to shoot me. I never said a single word to provoke this guy. I hadn't even introduced myself. Then it went downhill from there. Don't think you can win anyone over. If you see something right away that is not right leave!