New gas tube

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by wasr10, Jun 9, 2011.

1. wasr10

wasr10 New Member

I just recieved a new gas tube for my wasr 10/63 but its shorter than my old one. When its latched in it barely touches the front part. I cant get it to pop off but im still worried that bad things might happen. ( sorry cant be more specific im an ak nub and i dont know correct terminology). Should I test fire it or return it and get a new one?

2. wasr10

wasr10 New Member

update with picture

top one is the old one that fit fine bottom is the new one. Like I said I cant get it to pop off but its barely on there. Thank you for any advice

Attached Files:

3. Ruzai

Ruzai New Member

I have a feeling someone mixed that gas-tube up with a different model's gas tube. I'd return it and get another one. I wouldnt feel comfortable with that little of contact on the gas-block considering the amount of friction between the gas-piston and the gas-tube can be violent at times.
    Just curious, where did you buy the gas-tube from?

Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
  4. wasr10

wasr10 New Member

I bought it from numrich (spelling?) it is rough as hell to cycle so im thinking your right.

5. Ruzai

Ruzai New Member

It wouldnt be the first time they picked out the wrong part. I just ordered a cylinder assembly for an old revolver I'm working on for a customer and they sent me one from a completely different model than what I told them. Got to return it and call to order next time so I can explain the part to them. Still, for the odd obscure part that's hard to track down or get a good deal on I usually end up going to them.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  6. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

Definitely get a new tube. I can think of a couple variants that use shorter tubes, so I'm sure it was just a mix up. Get a length on yours and tell them you need it to be (x) inches long.

7. wasr10

wasr10 New Member

Thank you for the input

8. wasr10

wasr10 New Member

does anyone know of an alternate dealer for gas cylinders?

9. Ruzai

Ruzai New Member

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  10. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

I use APEX or Arms of America.

11. wasr10

wasr10 New Member

bought one from amex for 25 thanks guys...so what model would the short one be for maybe i can sell it

12. wasr10

wasr10 New Member

alright im thinking im just unlucky...I got the new one in and its longer than the short one but still barely touching I will post pics when I find my camera I know I ordered the right one. Could it be my front gas (thingy mabobber) needs to be move back a scootch?

13. Ruzai

Ruzai New Member

Its possible, but unlikely. Once you tighten the clamp down that holds the rear of the gas tube on, is it still short?

14. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

NO. If you're gas block needed to be moved, you'd know it way before you removed the priginal tube. The gun wouldn't shoot if the block was off.

Now. . . Does the 2nd tube reach? They do barely fit even when it is the right part. Do you have another AK to compare it to?

15. wasr10

wasr10 New Member

Yeah I compared it to my buddies and mine is short. I closed the latch to lock the gas tube down and it moves the tube back and leaves it short up front its holding by the skin of its teeth.