Firearms Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all. What a great site. Thanks to all for your great information. Hubby and I are big proponents of freedom (and hence, guns), and are probably a little remiss in getting the ball rolling in regards to preparing for the "just in case...." scenario. But, hey, better late than never. Just wondering what some of you would recommend for a BoB. We have most of the stuff to put in it, just need to get the actual bag. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
909 Posts
welcome to the forum
i think you'll like it here
lots of good people who are willing to help

as for your question...
i don't really know
:D

someone will come along and help you out though

·
Registered
736 Posts
Welcome......

First thing you need might be a destination.... guns, ammo, medical supplies, water, and purification device, clothes, flashlights, compass, field glasses, tent/shelter, fire-starting gear, knife/knives, axe, entrenching tool, anyone's list will be added to many times over...........

be sure you don't forget your mindset.......

·
Premium Member
19,844 Posts
Welcome here. :)

If you use the search feature, there should be a bunch of ideas for you. There's different types of BOBs too. There's the Get Home Bag, to get you home from work or somewhere.

I keep a BOB in my truck. It's really my get home bag. This stuff varies with where you live and work etc. The bag itself is a medium size military style assault pack. I keep a very basic first aid kit, a poncho, one pair of socks, one change of underwear, two bottles of water, a hunter type folding knife, a flashlight, several Trail bars, a Bic lighter, waterproof matches and one of those folded foil/mylar emergency blankets.

No firearm, because I live in Sacramento, California and it's illegal to carry without a CCW. When we're living in Oregon next Summer, that will change. ;)

·
Banned
23,968 Posts
Just wondering what some of you would recommend for a BoB. We have most of the stuff to put in it, just need to get the actual bag. Any recommendations?
1) Welcome to the Forum

2) Ortlieb makes some good bags and a couple of them are even water "proof"

3) I actually have one of Oakley's first heavy duty duffel bags - I don't believe they sell them anymore, but they have several other good options.

4) 5.11 Tactical makes some good stuff as well.

Here's a good site with some write ups

JD

·
Banned
414 Posts

You're not related to XDGirl are you?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks

Thanks to all for the warm fuzzies. SlowETz and I have been looking for a group of like-minded, well-grounded (but realistic) folks to network with and have definitely found the right place. We'd searched some other sites and then found this one and feel like we're right at home.

Being ex-military (Air Force), a long time girl scout (okay so it's kind of corny but maybe it counts?), have studied a little Muay Thai, and am a registered nurse, until recently I thought I was prepared for any contingency. But man are you guys way ahead of us! I have lots to learn, and hope to be able to contribute some as well. Looking forward to whatever comes around.

Thanks Dillinger for your input regarding the BOB. That's exactly what I was looking for. I will definitely check it out.

RamRod, sorry but I don't know XDgirl. Maybe I should meet her?

Thanks again to all.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks

Thanks to all for the warm fuzzies. SlowETz and I have been hunting for a while for a group of like-minded folks to network with and it looks like we've stumbled upon just the right group. We'd visited a some other sites but once we landed here, we felt right at home. Kudos to all of you for keeping things civil, well-informed and down-to-earth.

Being ex-military (Air Force), growing up on a farm, studying a little Muay Thai and being a registered nurse, I really thought I was prepared for any contingency. But I have sooo much to learn from y'all. And I hope to be able to contribute some as well.

Dillinger, thank you for the info on the BOB. That's exactly the kind of info I was looking for and will definitely check it out.

Sorry RamRod, I don't know XDgirl. Maybe I should meet her?

Oh yeah, and SlowETs, I may be the smarter half, but you're definitely the stronger half.

·
Banned
23,968 Posts
Thanks to all for the warm fuzzies. SlowETz and I have been looking for a group of like-minded, well-grounded (but realistic) folks to network with and have definitely found the right place. We'd searched some other sites and then found this one and feel like we're right at home.
We like to think so. The guys here aren't extreme, but they do know the difference between prepared and hoping for the best. We have all breeds of professions here, so there is expertise in many categories, and we seem to have a like minded group of guys and gals that just plain like sharing information in a friendly and non-clique' like environment. You and your beau are welcome to ask as many questions as you need, there is no shortage of good information contained in this forum, as well as good people to help you out with decisions based on experience.

Being ex-military (Air Force), a long time girl scout (okay so it's kind of corny but maybe it counts?), have studied a little Muay Thai, and am a registered nurse, until recently I thought I was prepared for any contingency. But man are you guys way ahead of us! I have lots to learn, and hope to be able to contribute some as well. Looking forward to whatever comes around.
No, you are doing fine. Believe me, you are also light years a head of a lot of folks in this formerly great country of ours. You are heading down the right path, some of us just got here a little before you. You'll catch up in no time, of that I am certain. Muay Thai huh? Nice. ;)

Thanks Dillinger for your input regarding the BOB. That's exactly what I was looking for. I will definitely check it out.
No worries, we are here to help. There are some other good companies out there too, so be sure to look around. Believe it or not, some of the more "mainstream" companies like North Face and REI are making equipment that will "crosstrain" with us "end of the world nuts" just fine - and it's all well built with a warranty. :D

·
Registered
61 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Both of you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
LA Police gear often has great gear at discounts...5.11... the works....I just got 2 good medium size bags...one for here in Iraq and one for home...It's on the small side...but perfect for what I use it for...extra magazines, flash bangs,smoke grenades, pen flares, power bars, small medical kit with tourniquet, pressure dressing, quik clot bandage and the like, a couple liters of H20, knife, electrical tape, 5-50 cord (para cord), leatherman, signal mirror and Silva Ranger compass. A few other odds and ends...
Except for the smoke grenades....pretty much keep the same at home. I use it for hunting mostly...minus all the ammo...I have a few extra rounds in there for the rifle I happen to be using......just tailor it to your specific needs...I add a heavier space blanket to my hunting one. I don't have that in the one here because I'll be running like a madman if I need this one..... Bullets, Water and Signal. But these bags are made tough, take a beating and were about $30 each with shipping.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts