Firearms Talk banner
41 - 60 of 104 Posts
Always one in the pipe.

Always one in the pipe. And practice with your weapon.

If you had a DA revolver, would you keep the next chamber empty? Of course not. And they don't have the trigger safety that a Glock has.

Hey, I wasn't "calling him out," only disagreeing with his view of Glocks. That's my right, I earned it by virture of being a shooter for, oh, 60 years, and being a 1911 and Sig shooter before I even knew what a Glock was.

Look at it like this: even moderators had two posts one time. Now if you want to call me a newbie to this forum, I plead guilty. That said, I've been hanging out over at the Sig Forum for years, and also a couple of others. I speak my piece from the perspective I have but honor the right of others to do the same. Cheers!
****in' A, welcome to the forum!

If you had a DA revolver, would you keep the next chamber empty? Of course not.
You do not keep the next chamber empty on a revolver, you keep the chamber where the hammer is resting empty. If you drop it, it will not go off. :rolleyes:

Fair enough, JD, although I don't normally talk "crap," as you put it. I'm told I'm a pretty serious guy and your comment that a newbie shouldn't be carrying Condition One is also well-taken. That said, there's also value in a newbie not having to "unlearn" other nomenclature, kind of guns and ways of shooting. Someone else said it best: if he carries a Glock, he should master it, sleep with it and then shoot it some more until it becomes an extension of himself.

I did see that guy shoot himself. If I recall, he was doing a little shuckin' 'n' jive'n -- being Daddy Kool, as it were -- in front of the class. That was a stupid thing to do and it cost him. May even have cost him his job if I remember subsequent posts correctly.

Thanks for recognizing the value of Glocks. As I may have pointed out, I bought and shot my first Glock last year (a 26) and have been a devotee ever since. I just "adapted" to 'em and now own a 30 and have a 19 and a 20 on order to go with my 1911 and stable of Sigs.

But there's nothing that fits the hand like a Colt 1911 (well, my Sig 225 does) and my fav cartridge is .45 caliber. Glocks are what the haters say they are: blocky, ugly, etc. But they also get the job done very, very quickly. My 26 will put 13 rounds of 9mm in a BG before a cat can lick its butt.

Time will tell how long Glocks compete successfully and it's inevitable that the competition (XD etc.) will try to stamp 'em out. It's even likely they will come out with better products. There are even aftermarket parts for Glocks that improve on the original item, although purists might deny that. I have a few aftermarket parts myself.

Sorry if my first post alarmed other posters. It wasn't intended.

You do not keep the next chamber empty on a revolver, you keep the chamber where the hammer is resting empty. If you drop it, it will not go off. :rolleyes:
Somebody keeps a chamber empty in a wheel gun? You’re all ready down two from a 1911 and three with my LCR. A four shot safety piece?????

Geeze, you guys are turning into a bunch of neutered, emasculated libs!

I don’t carry a gun dumbed down to be safe, I carry one that will be incredibly dangerous when I “SAFELY” remove it from my holster and blow some dirt bag’s heart out!

Lieutenant Colonel Jeff Cooper (1920-2006)

• "Safety is something that happens between your ears, not something you hold in your hands."
  • "The [weapon] itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own.”

The fear you express is of personal self control not weapon safety, grow up and take responsibility! (NOT AIMED AT YOU SKULL)

It's not the tool, it's the fool!

That heartbeat required to rack a round to battery may well be your last!

My thumb safety takes NO time to go hot. I have practiced this to a smooth muscle memory and it's ready to go 1/3 the way to sight shooting. And the double tap is off before the weak side hand comes to the gun.

IMHO, my life depends on it! (I do not however, have empirical data to support that statement,......yet.)

jeremiah - no worries bro, we are usually a pretty solid, stable and get along well together forum. We have our disagreements, but it's almost always civil.

The .45 vs. 9mm; 1911 vs. Glock and AR versus AK always come to blows. :D

I copped to my 1911 love, and I was a die hard Sig guy for YEARS. The Glock is a good gun, for what it is, but you can't compare it to a weapon that has over 100 years active military service. It's still wet behind the ears and it hasn't had it's boys drop yet. :D

I am sure future offerings from the Glock boys will show improvements that were never "needed" on the first drawing board. The weapon will go bang for you, pretty much every time, but it does have some gunsmith proven drawbacks.

On that scale, I rank it well below my 1911.

Having said that - If all you can afford is a rock, a baseball bat or a Glock, take the Glock for the fear factor and save up for the bat. :D

I kid, I kid....

We gotta stick to the main agenda

I think what we agree on most of the time (kicking liberal asses) ranks a lot higher than what we disagree on part of the time (pistols, revolvers, calibers, etc.). Liberals are united -- we saw that last November. We gotta be just as united if we want to win next time around. In the meantime, we gotta keep it together.

I carry Tupperware, but one with a backstrap safety. IWB at 1:00, I do not carry with a round chambered. On my hip, it's always loaded. The difference is that on my hip, my femoral artery and my Johnson aren't in play. A round through the femoral artery likely would lead to me bleeding out very rapidly, and if I shot off my Johnson, I'd prolly just turn the gun on myself. :D

I carry Tupperware, but one with a backstrap safety. IWB at 1:00, I do not carry with a round chambered. On my hip, it's always loaded. The difference is that on my hip, my femoral artery and my Johnson aren't in play. A round through the femoral artery likely would lead to me bleeding out very rapidly, and if I shot off my Johnson, I'd prolly just turn the gun on myself. :D
How many shots do ya figure id' take to hit that tiny thing?

Modern revolvers such as the Colt D/A's, Smith & Wesson and Rugers are PERFECTLY safe to carry fully loaded. The hammer cannot strike the primer if dropped. He!!, you can beat a Smith with a ball peen hammer until the spur breaks off and it will not fire. If you have an old Single Action Army or clone true to that design, loading 5 may be prudent. I doubt many of those revolvers are carried for defense.

I think what we agree on most of the time (kicking liberal asses) ranks a lot higher than what we disagree on part of the time (pistols, revolvers, calibers, etc.). Liberals are united -- we saw that last November. We gotta be just as united if we want to win next time around. In the meantime, we gotta keep it together.
Agreed my new found friend, 100% agreed.

When the Space Zombies start walking the Earth, you are more than welcome behind my lines, even if you are packing plastic. :D

At least I know you are in it for the long haul....

JD

You haven't seen a tactical reload before, have you?? :cool:

JD
Just the ones I've tried. Gott'a love having a bench for retention. I just haven't figured out how to hide the bench under my shirt. How many do you perform per 50 rounds?
Why exchange a mag with 2 rounds in it for a mag with 7 when you can drop one with 7 and replace it with 16?

Just the ones I've tried. Gott'a love having a bench for retention. I just haven't figured out how to hide the bench under my shirt. How many do you perform per 50 rounds?
Why exchange a mag with 2 rounds in it for a mag with 7 when you can drop one with 7 and replace it with 16?
Or 33. Although I hear bad things about those mega capacity mags.

Attachments

41 - 60 of 104 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.