New G19 FTF on Remington 115 FMJ

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by OldFart, Dec 9, 2011.

1. OldFart

OldFart New Member

After cleaning my brand new 19 (Gen 2 I think - I live in Calif.) according to the owner's manual (6 drops of oil), I took it to the local indoor range to run some ammo through it. I started with a box of Remington 115 FMJ, then did one magazine each of Remington 115 HMJ, Remington 124 Golden Saber HMJ, and finally some Cor-Bon 115 +P HMJ - 80 rounds total.

I had several FTF (failure to feed) malfunctions - about 6 total - and all with the Remington 115 FMJ ammo. Everything else worked flawlessly. The Remington 124 Golden Saber HMJ seemed to perform best and appeared to be most accurate - the Cor-Bon's were pretty good too (they should be for that price!).

I won't get too worked up about the FTF's - yet. I'll run some more FMJ though the weapon and, if I continue to have problems, try eliminating a bad magazine as a source first. Any thoughts on what may be the problem here?

2. 1911Jeeper

1911Jeeper New Member

Failure to feed should lead you to examine your magazines for cleanliness and maintenance issues like damage or weak springs.

Some firearms simply do not like some brands of ammunition. Find whichever brand, bullet weight, and/or bullet type works flawlessly in your firearm and stick with that.

3. okdonk

okdonk New Member

My G19Gen4 works well with Federal and Remington UMC (yellow bulk box). The only problem it had was with the Tulammo brand. Tulammo is cheap but dirty & smokey ammo IMO.

4. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Being brand new it must be a Gen 3. (As you hinted, civilians can't buy Gen 4s yet in CA.) Glock has had issues with Gen 4s and late model Gen 3s, especially the G17 and G19. There is a program set up to correct problems in the Gen 4 but I'm not sure about the Gen 3. This involves replacing the RSA, extractor and ejector and maybe trigger bar.

But none of this seems to be aimed at feeding problems. I'd do exactly what you said and put more rounds down the barrel to see how it goes. Good luck, the G19 is a great little gun!

5. OldFart

OldFart New Member

Thanks for the replies. Since they're brand new mags, I wouldn't think cleanliness or spring issues would be a factor. It's a brand new retail purchase pistol, but I thought gen 3 had a new grip version, but I guess that's what I have. I'll run a few more boxes of the Rem 115 FMJ through it and see if the feed issue continues.

6. Birddogyz

Birddogyz Member Lifetime Supporter

I just picked up a new 19 gen 3. I am going to the range in the morning and plan on putting a Remington UMC yellow Bulk Box through it. I will post how it does.

7. okdonk

okdonk New Member

You cant go wrong with the remington umc yellow bulk box. Its my fav ammo!

8. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Gen 3, which you probably have, has a light rail in front and finger grooves on the front strap while the Gen 2 doesn't. Gen 4 has the short frame grip and add-on backstraps and is not approved for sale in CA yet.

9. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Here's a picture of three generations of Glocks, left to right: Gen 3 G27, Gen 4 G23 and Gen 2 G22. A larger Gen 3 would have a light rail like the Gen4 in the middle, but the small G27 doesn't.

[​IMG]

10. OldFart

OldFart New Member

Gen3 it is then. My 19 has the rails but I was confused with the type of grips - I knew it didn't have the rough textured stuff like the one on the right (gen2).

11. Birddogyz

Birddogyz Member Lifetime Supporter

Using the UMC Bulk box, I had a few FTF on the 34, no FTF with Federal. Let me get a few hundred more rounds through it and then I will decide if the ammo is worth the price. BTW Loved the way the 34 handled.

12. mah77

mah77 New Member

Incorrect. I just purchased my Gen4 19 a couple days ago, and I live in Ca. The trick is finding a gun dealer that knows the loopholes.

The only way to purchase a Gen4 as of right now, is to register it as a "single shot" pistol. The gun store I buy from, installed a fabricated barrel with a blocked feed ramp, which prevents the magazine from feeding any rounds. Once my 10 day waiting period is up, I have to remove that barrel, and re-install the factory one. After that, perfectly legal.

My gun shop knows all the loopholes, which is why I buy exclusively from them. They also had the best price ($549).

13. trip286

trip286 New Member

Hey, as long as it's legal...

14. Glockpotion23

Glockpotion23 New Member

I agree, its the cheapest i seen but my G23 gen3 ate every last one i have used. I probably shot at least 200 rds of that stuff.