new frontier poly lower

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by jeremyx28, Feb 26, 2013.

1. jeremyx28

jeremyx28 New Member

Full disclosure, I know nothing about ar's other then I want one. I found this complete lower with parts kit, pistol grip and butt stock for $199. Is it worth it?

2. bige91603

bige91603 New Member

Before the drought no. Now, maybe

3. EW1066

EW1066 Member Supporter

If you only want an AR pattern rifle but have no intention to run it hard or stake your life on its operation, the NFA poly lower may be okay for you. Don't have any high expectations for it. Understand that it is plastic doing the work of metal and may not hold up as well. Do some research here and on other forums. Make and informed and educated decision. Do not settle for "almost as good as" just to have an AR.

EDUB

4. jeremyx28

jeremyx28 New Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm in no real hurry to get an ar, but current events worry me. I always wanted an ar, but it was never a necessity for me. I just don't want the government telling me I can't have one. I'll probably end up passing on the frontier one for the time being and do some more research. Hopefully the market stabilizes and they become affordable again.

5. Sentry18

Sentry18 New Member

I have two New Frontier poly lowers and they are very well built and solid. I have no doubt that they will provide a long durable service life regardless of what others say. Just the same mine are both attached to CMMG .22LR uppers and are only used for plinking. I did attach one to a RRA 9mm upper for a while and it ran just fine.

6. EW1066

EW1066 Member Supporter

I see that you are using your NFA lower as a plinker and it is working out just fine. If you will re read my post you will see that I said that these are just fine for exactly that.

Use the search function and read the multiple discussions that have gone on, on this board alone. You will see that there are many strong arguments for not buying these as a SHTF type weapon.

Once again; If you only want a plinker or an AR pattern/looks cool rifle, then get the NFA. If you feel that you want a SERIOUS weapon, buy a forged lower. A forged lower is like a divorce. It costs more because it's worth it.

EDUB

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  7. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

I have one, the fit is excellent.

Lifetime warranty

8. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

A life time warranty on a firearm that fails? Is that for real or a joke?:confused: It would be a safe bet for the guy making them. People who lose gun battles hardly ever complain;).

9. willfully armed

I've offered this up to members of other forums as well .

Failure? Pics or it didn't happen.

We trust the plastic lowered pistols carried by ourselves and LEO, but so many people are quick to call a rifle lower junk

10. 70cuda383

70cuda383 New Member

lifetime warranty is nice...when the company is around.

I bought a plum crazy lower because it was cheap, I already had a real AR, and it had a lifetime warranty.

I put 300-400 rounds through it without an issue. it was just as reliable and accurate as my other, name brand, aluminum AR.

but, one day, I went to look up Plum Crazy, and it would seem they simply vanished into thin air one night. nobody knows what happened to them for sure.

looks like my lifetime warranty was only a 7 month warranty. Can't get a warranty from a company that doesn't exist anymore.

I finally sold that poly lower, but the ONLY reason I sold it, was because the panic had set in, and my buddy wanted to buy an AR but couldn't find one. so I sold him a complete AR for $600, when there were none in the stores and the dealers at the shows were asking 1800 and up.

11. GeneralPatton

GeneralPatton New Member

I think it was assumed that Plum Crazy changed their name when they decided to try for LE contracts and LE probably wouldn't go around toting AR's that have that name on them.

As for the NFA lowers, I have had 2. I currently have one with a Spikes upper on it, and it functions just fine. I have seen some pictures of the Polymer failing, but they are in my searches no more common than any other AR part failure. The argument here is much like the Brass vs Steel ammo debates. Much of the info seems to be "I read" or "I heard" and not very often is it "Mine failed." At the end of the day, do as you wish. $200 is a moderately high price IMO. I bought both of mine during the panic, one was $150 and the other $159. I sold one for $400 when the offer arose. I was going to use the spare for my dedicated .22lr upper, but I couldn't pass up a $200 profit. Now, I don't take mine out and beat the piss out of it either, as I would expect not many do. However, I do not care for the fire control group they come with.....quite frankly, the trigger sucks. But when I consider I got a complete lower ready to strap on an upper and go for $150, I'm a happy NFA owner. Perhaps one day I'll build an aluminum one, but that depends on if they ever return to realistic pricing.

12. Sentry18

Sentry18 New Member

There were a lot of strong arguments why poly framed Glocks were not durable enough for SHTF use back in the 1990's.

[ame]http://youtu.be/CEAYW_2y4VU[/ame]

13. EW1066

EW1066 Member Supporter

The Glock comparison doesn't work. The Glock was designed from its inception to use polymers in its frame. The AR was designed to use aluminum. The NFA lower was not redesigned to play to the strengths of polymer. What they did was to directly copy an AR lower. I have watched those videos and I am hardly impressed.

Read through this thread.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/polymer-ar-15-lower-64685/
    This horse has been beaten to death and the conclusion always seems the same.

EDUB

14. Sentry18

Sentry18 New Member

Maybe, but every part of the Glock design itself was borrowed or adapted from metal framed guns that came before it.

I agree, the conclusion is always always the same; theoretical and based on assumptions and presumptions. Even when the Cav Arms lowers came everyone ran around claiming that everyone would kaboom and kill us all. But that did not happen and they turned out to be very capable lowers. Until the naysayers actually go out and buy a NFA lower, test it under real world situations and then clearly demonstrate it's inferiority I will just continue to take their opinions with a grain of salt. If you are bound and determined to hate something no amount of reason or review will impress you.

15. EW1066

EW1066 Member Supporter

That video is a great representation of what their lower is capable of for the length of the video. If they continue to treat that lower like that it will fail eventually. An aluminum lower will fail under that kind of abuse as well. The poly lower will fail sooner.

When it's all said and done. In the anti-gun climate which we currently find ourselves in, the question must be asked; Do you really want to buy a lower that is based on "technology' that is as yet unproven? IF an "ASSAULT WEAPONS" ban happens, do you want to have your (now irreplaceable) lower crap out because it's plastic? NOT ME! At this point I would purchase only quality. Because if they somehow pass a ban tomorrow, 20 years from now I want to be able to say "I have an AR". Not "I had an AR. But I had to sell the upper after the cheap plastic lower I bought broke and I could not afford to replace it.".

EDUB

16. longunner

longunner New Member

I paid 150 for mine back in September 2012 so far I haven't shot it once because its waiting on parts to make it a M16A1 clone. It's not going to be a duty rifle so don't give me any crap on that one guys lol

17. EW1066

EW1066 Member Supporter

As a range gun or a plinker they would be great, as I said in my first post. Have fun! But you should be prepared to buy another rifle. These things are like crack. Once you start it will be hard to stop.

EDUB

18. GeneralPatton

GeneralPatton New Member

I don't really want any part of this debate, however I have to add something here. The argument that something was originally built on the usage of XXX being the main component and not able to be changed in the future is one of utter stupidity. The automobile wheel was first made of wood, and this argument would say that using aluminum would make the car weigh to much and wouldn't roll. Or that Carbon Fiber as a body won't work because it will fall apart since cars were designed to be made from sheet metal. All products advance by way of newer space age materials being integrated into their production. All Glock did was take a handgun, make it out of "polymer" or "plastic" whichever you prefer to call it, and create a market segment that didn't exist in handguns prior to them. They advanced the platform of the handgun, using, you guessed it, space aged materials. :cool::cool:

19. willfully armed

I don't use the like button often, but you earned it.

Concise analogy. And can't argue the points... Plus, I don't think an aluminum lower kills em any deader.

20. EW1066

EW1066 Member Supporter

Whether or not you want in the debate, you just stepped into it with both feet.

Maybe you should think an analogy through before using it. Your car wheel theory is ill founded. Do you think that a wooden spoked wheel could stand up to the speeds and weight of todays cars? They had to be made of metal in order to stand up to the punishment that would utterly destroy a wooden wheel.

As for carbon fiber body panels, They are lighter, but not stronger that the steel body parts they replace. If they were the same weight they would be stronger. there are always trade offs when dealing with polymers. Yes there are cars that are made entirely of carbon fiber. But, like the glock, they were designed from the ground up to be made like that. The sub structure and load distribution had to be designed to play to the strengths of the material used. Think honeycomb structures. They are lighter than their steel counter parts but they are thicker and much more expensive to produce.

As I have said before when someone designs an AR lower from the ground up to EFFECTIVELY use polymers I will look at it. Until then you and anyone else are welcome to own one and I sincerely hope that you are happy with your purchasing decision.

EDUB