Firearms Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum and firearms in general. May have been a bit of pre-mid-life-crisis impulsiveness, but I stopped by the LGS (thanks for the acronym list a few threads down by the way) I had driven past for the last decade and purchased a P226 three weeks back. I've been completely captivated since. While I definetly enjoy the shooting (prior to my purchase I had maybe fired 50 rounds in my life, I'm over 500 now) but it's the mechanics of it that really grabbed me. I've already ordered my second (P250 .45 Compact) that I'll be picking up tomorrow. The fact that I'm still up at 1:30 reading every damn thing I can find on the P250 and pondering my next purchase makes me think this may be a very expensive new interest. I'm glad I have a very patient wife.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just speculation for now, but I'm considering a third handgun sometime in the near-ish future and after that may look into a long gun. The intricacies of the rifle/shotgun market seem more complex than handguns, but I'm sure something will catch my attention.

It would give me an excuse to buy a bigger safe though...

·
Administrator
34,289 Posts
WELCOME!!

Haha......I believe my interest in guns is kind of a midlife crisis, too. I also own 3 handguns and am looking to buy my first rifle. Enjoy. You have come to the right place to learn. Read all you can and ask all the questions you want. There's lots of knowledge to be had here.

·
Registered
21,822 Posts
to the FTF community. We are glad to have you as a new member!

All you need here is a thick skin and the ability to laugh at anything, including yourself!

Please read the following, it will save all of us a lot of time and trouble:

Please DO NOT post (including in your signature) advertisements, links to sell or advertise if you are not a vendor.

New folks- Please read this!!! << Click Here

FTF Newcomer's Guide << Click Here

How To Post Pics on FTF << Click Here

FTF's List Of Acronyms << Click Here

Join the Gun Owners of America, a worthy 2nd Amendment protector.

Gun Owners of America << Click Here

·
Supporting Member
11,991 Posts
OTIS,

I can't believe you are over "500 years old" and have only shot 50 rounds in your life :D LOL !!!!! I now have a friend who types like me!!!! I do that all the time!
Anyway welcome to the FTF and we are glad to have you on board. And also we see like us that your addiction has started. You will have to send us some pictures and a range report on the new pistols. The SIGs are fine guns!

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, that was fun as hell. Opening the new box was like Christmas and my birthday at the same time. While I'm still a ridiculously bad shot, I did much better with the DAO 250 than I have with my 226. The trigger was so smooth, which I had read, but was really impressive in practice. I've got a question though if anyone can provide some insight. I had one round fail to eject, but the range guy said more than likely I didn't have my wrist locked enough and was letting the gun pop-up too much. He said it wasn't uncommon at all for a new shooter, firing a new weapon, in a larger caliber, to have that happen a few times until they get used to it. I'm inclined to believe him, seems like a trustworthy guy, just thought I would get a second opinion.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It actually makes perfect sense. One major issue I've had is using such a tight grip that my hands would start to shake. I was trying very hard not to do that today, but was having a hard time getting a good balance between tight wrist and not so tight hold.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts